TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New scoope just arrived

Hi,

I am really excited to know that my new hood scoop is finally here.

I went to the dealer ship to look at it.

I will drop my car next week to have them replace the old one.

See the pics attached.

It looks like it is made of fiberglass.

Any tips or advice I should know before my dealership replace the old scoop with this one?

P.S. I am really nervous that I need to leave the car for the week there.

post-9186-0-85667600-1300316843_thumb.jpg

post-9186-0-77278700-1300316849_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

post-9186-0-85667600-1300316843_thumb.jpg

post-9186-0-77278700-1300316849_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I am really excited to know that my new hood scoop is finally here.

I went to the dealer ship to look at it.

I will drop my car next week to have them replace the old one.

See the pics attached.

It looks like it is made of fiberglass.

Any tips or advice I should know before my dealership replace the old scoop with this one?

P.S. I am really nervous that I need to leave the car for the week there.

IMAG0012 Small.jpg

IMAG0013 Small.jpg

Thanks.

My 2 cents:

Make sure they follow the directions EXACTLY.

If they don't have experience with a rivet gun, it can come out messy (slanted rivets, etc...)

Make sure they have the black stripe for it (sounds crazy, but my idiot dealer installed mine without a stripe).

See my pix below for bad rivets, chipped paint, and a missing stripe (This is how my dealer returned the car to me).

Jer

badscoop.jpg

badscoop.jpg

My 2 cents:

Make sure they follow the directions EXACTLY.

If they don't have experience with a rivet gun, it can come out messy (slanted rivets, etc...)

Make sure they have the black stripe for it (sounds crazy, but my idiot dealer installed mine without a stripe).

See my pix below for bad rivets, chipped paint, and a missing stripe (This is how my dealer returned the car to me).

Jer

post-12143-0-22128300-1300318078_thumb.jpg

And these tech's get paid how much again !! Amazing I never forget my dad bought a new 1981 Pontiac grandprix at home he noticed a rust spot on the bottom rear quarter panel. My father brings the car back and leaves it so they can fix the spot. We pick it up 2 days later and all they did was use touch up paint over the rust and it looked worse.

Bring this document with you. They most likely got a copy with the scoop...

But maybe they will try harder if they know YOU are aware of the procedure.

Jer

Fiberglass Hood Scoop Manual 2.4.pdf

Fiberglass Hood Scoop Manual 2.4.pdf

I've been through this like many of or forum members, there is no way I would let a dealer do this, you need to talk to the service manager and get hooked up with a really good body shop that knows what they are doing and has someone that can read and follow instructions.. Do take the download copy of instructions with you.

Remember to center the stripe prior to installing the scoop and go back and read some of the posts many of us had issues with. I liked rivet nuts and found this worked well. If your not careful the rivet installation can crack or chip the paint.

Just my thoughts and good luck............ GG

I've been through this like many of or forum members, there is no way I would let a dealer do this, you need to talk to the service manager and get hooked up with a really good body shop that knows what they are doing and has someone that can read and follow instructions.. Do take the download copy of instructions with you.

Remember to center the stripe prior to installing the scoop and go back and read some of the posts many of us had issues with. I liked rivet nuts and found this worked well. If your not careful the rivet installation can crack or chip the paint.

Just my thoughts and good luck............ GG

TRUE.

My photos support this post!

Look, I'm sure there are great dealerships out there... and if anyone's found one, THEY'RE LUCKY.

The "rivnuts" are a cool look, if you can get it done that way, great. But the dealer's staff ain't gonna go the extra mile by default.

I had to "rescue" my car and take it to a REAL shop to get satisfaction.

See the photos below - pix of the stripes peeling off after a 5 mile drive... the dealer pronounced my car "complete", and I drove it to a REAL shop here in town, after flipping off the dealer and "kidnapping" my SGT... THIS is what it looked like when I got out.

Jer

badstripe.jpg

badstripe.jpg

badstripe.jpg

badstripe.jpg

Every one is throwing their $.02 so I will add mine. I agree that whoever does it they need to be very careful. Is the lighting not right, or are the sides of your stripes lifting a bit? If they are I would make sure you got those hood stripes replaced also that way you don't have to take the scoop off to fix them later. headscratch.gif

Archived