TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer replaced my hood scoop but FP would not allow them to replace the stripes. They did not last even 12 months. Stays in the garage when not on the road. A stripe company said they would put new on but not take the originals off. Dealer wants $4K to paint them on. Any thoughts. I got this new 6/1/07. 07SGT2325

Any paint shop will be able to remove and replace your stripes pretty easily.

Painting is the best option, if you never plan on changing stripe color. But replacing the vinyl is definitely a lot cheaper.

Either way, don't use the dealer IMO.

For replacement stripes, go to www.stuckonyougraphics.com or search for TS member 'mrfarmdog'. Good luck.

Dealer replaced my hood scoop but FP would not allow them to replace the stripes. They did not last even 12 months. Stays in the garage when not on the road. A stripe company said they would put new on but not take the originals off. Dealer wants $4K to paint them on. Any thoughts. I got this new 6/1/07. 07SGT2325

Hey I got my 07SGT2473 two days before you did. Memorial weekend sale!

I had the same problem with my stripes. The first set got replaced under warranty after about a year and a half the second set lasted about as long. 4K is about twice what I paid a shop to pull the stripes and paint new ones on plus they did a full clay detail outside and detailed the inside too. Check with people in your area that could recommend a shop and then check www.yelp.com in your area for the shop and see what reviews have to say.

if your car is silver striped I can give you the paint code I got in case I needed future work.

CC

You have nothing to lose at this point, if you're asking about this. Right?

I've heard claybar????? pm jerseygator on our forums here. His name is Pete.

He is the Adams east coast expert and sales rep.

BB

Did I hear my name mentioned?

:lurk:

Do you have pics of your stripes?

Hey 4 thousand for stripes paint is it laced with gold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You use an eraser wheel to get it off yourself its pain but you will say cash that way. I on the other hand lost my patience and used acetone it wipe the stripes off and glue. Just need a plastic scraper so you won't gouge your bumper like me.

I wish I would listen to my own advice !!!

But 2k is most you should pay the hard part of doing stripes is the taping of your lines. I will paint stripes on my car with my nite meds and rattle can paint and you will never know.

Never let a dealer do painting most of the time they send it out to the drunkest and cheap paint shop and tack on 2000 to the bill. I mention it before seen done and seen the customer cry.

Please listen to me or give me 4k and I'll do it for you then get my 3yr old to do it for a cookie :hysterical:

Hey 4 thousand for stripes paint is it laced with gold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You use an eraser wheel to get it off yourself its pain but you will say cash that way. I on the other hand lost my patience and used acetone it wipe the stripes off and glue. Just need a plastic scraper so you won't gouge your bumper like me.

I wish I would listen to my own advice !!!

But 2k is most you should pay the hard part of doing stripes is the taping of your lines. I will paint stripes on my car with my nite meds and rattle can paint and you will never know.

Never let a dealer do painting most of the time they send it out to the drunkest and cheap paint shop and tack on 2000 to the bill. I mention it before seen done and seen the customer cry.

Please listen to me or give me 4k and I'll do it for you then get my 3yr old to do it for a cookie :hysterical:

When you do find a shop you feel will do you right, ask how they will get the stripe material out from under the rear window. If they don't tell you that they will pull the window walk away or tell them that that is what needs to be done. They will probably outsource it to a glass shop which is best since they are the experts. There is no way they can properly get all the stripe material out, prep/mask and paint under the glass to make the stripes look right.

CC

When you do find a shop you feel will do you right, ask how they will get the stripe material out from under the rear window. If they don't tell you that they will pull the window walk away or tell them that that is what needs to be done. They will probably outsource it to a glass shop which is best since they are the experts. There is no way they can properly get all the stripe material out, prep/mask and paint under the glass to make the stripes look right.

CC

You don't need to remove the glass to remove the stripes... painting however is a different matter and I have no experience with that....not yet anyway!

You don't need to remove the glass to remove the stripes... painting however is a different matter and I have no experience with that....not yet anyway!

Hopefully you will not have to worry about your stripes. Unfortunately there are quite a few that have had issues with the stripes.

True, if tape stripes were to be put back on you might be able to peal the old stripes out from under the glass, hopefully in one piece, clean the surface and lay down the new tape and using some kind of tool massage the tape down tight underneath the glass. If you want the painted stripes to match the same pattern as the taped ones the window has to come off. There is no way you can prep, paint and clear coat under the glass.

CC

CC

The stripes are not under the rear window. They do go down into the recessed area where the window seals but they are not under the window. I have removed several of them. You have to use tweezers or some other means to remove the stripes but all it takes is time. You can do it yourself.

As a matter of fact you would be better off removing the stripes yourself to prep the car instead of someone else doing it. That way you can ensure it is taken care of properly. Taking the stripes off with a erasure wheel will take you about 2 to 3 hours. I would warn anyone using this method to not use it on the rear bumper. It vibrates the bumper and can cause your paint to come off. You can peel the stripe material off fairly easy with your fingers. It will tear and it will take time but it is faster and easier than the wheel and no damage to the car.

Hopefully you will not have to worry about your stripes. Unfortunately there are quite a few that have had issues with the stripes.

True, if tape stripes were to be put back on you might be able to peal the old stripes out from under the glass, hopefully in one piece, clean the surface and lay down the new tape and using some kind of tool massage the tape down tight underneath the glass. If you want the painted stripes to match the same pattern as the taped ones the window has to come off. There is no way you can prep, paint and clear coat under the glass.

CC

I have had my stripes redone and I am saying that you do not need to remove the window to stake them off or to put them on.

Now, painting them on is a different matter which is what i said.

Sum up...no you do not need to remove the windows to remove the stripes, you may have to remove the window (and I suspect you do) to paint the stripes on.

Either I'm just lucky or I have a good system for taking care of my stripes. I have not had any trouble with my stripes and I DON"T have a garage. I keep a cover on the car when not driving it and I don't drive it in the rain or snow. The cover doesn't keep the car from getting wet but it does keep the sun off it. I wash and wax and always make sure the stripes are clean. I've had the car over four years now and the stripes are still very nice looking. What are you guys doing to your stripes?

I have had my stripes redone and I am saying that you do not need to remove the window to stake them off or to put them on.

Now, painting them on is a different matter which is what i said.

Sum up...no you do not need to remove the windows to remove the stripes, you may have to remove the window (and I suspect you do) to paint the stripes on.

You dont have to remove the windows !! that is insane never heard of this being done

You dont have to remove the windows !! that is insane never heard of this being done

All I know is that is what the shop recommended in order to PAINT the stripes once the taped ones were off. I went the extra effort on the paint job so that you do not feel the edge of the painted stripes vs the black paint. There is no way IMHO that you can get down in that window channel and properly mask to paint the stripes let alone clear coating and wet sanding as many times as needed to produce a smooth finish across the stripes and body. If you can find a shop that can do it w/o removing the window go for it. The results I got were worth having it done that way.

CC

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 07 Shelby GT, Black with silver stripes, I want to have the silver stripes painted on, can some one please give me the paint code for the silver stripes

Attached is the paint code used by the shop that did my car. The manager said that any shop should be able to understand the codes.

I'm sure others that have had the same problem may also have paint codes that they would also share with you that your shop can work with and see which you feel matches the best.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

CC

07 Paint code.png

07 Paint code.png

You could just leave the top stripes off, like the first 1965 street car. Just a thought.

If you do vinyl, expect to be doing this again in 5 years.

Otherwise, paint is the only permanent solution. Be sure to find out if your paint job includes a fresh clearcoat over the entire car; after the stripes are painted on.

post-24817-0-43532600-1301384670_thumb.jpg

Archived