TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 Battery Issues?

Ezareth

So I stored my 2011 GT500 /w electronics package all winter as I did my 99 Saleen for the past 10 years in my garage. I never use a battery tender as I periodically start the car and running for a good 30 minutes during the winter to keep the juices flowing so to speak. Last time I ran her was in the middle of January and I put her away on November 1st.

Went to start her last night and everything was dead. I put the battery charger on overnight and tried again in the morning and it wouldn't hold a charge. Called in to my dealership and they said Ford has some kind of "bulletin" out on 2011 Mustangs saying they sould not have their batteries hooked up for longer than a month in storage. Just figured I'd mention this to anyone out there who isn't using a tender. These new Mustangs are not like the mustangs from 10 years ago.

I used a tender on mine all winter....I came from the corvette Z06 cars where they will go dead in 1-2 weeks sometimes if you do not drive them.

Yup got to use a Tender. I would say its the battery quality & the electronic equipment that shorten there life. I think they say if your battery goes dead it causes 25 % damage to the battery cells

Yeah live and learn. Being a technology guy, I should have known better, but figured since I didn't have an issue in my '99, it would be the same.

Dealership said they'd replace the battery under warranty thankfully.....now I just have to get it there.

On my 2007 if I parked it for more the three weeks the battery would be dead. I currently have the 2011 hooked up to a battery trickle charger any time I park it in the garage.

+1

I have four or five of the Deltran Batt Tender, Jr. There are plenty available that are cheaper, but the Deltran BT, Jr is a tried and true tender so I spend the extra bucks.

The Jr Tenders are nice because they have a "wall wart" and a 12ft cord instead of a big box. any of my vehicles that are not DDs get a BT, Jr hooked up when parked.

A motorcycle battery has a life expectancy of about 3yrs. With the BT, Jr I got 5 1/2 yrs out of a Harley batt and just shy of 7 yrs on a Honda batt. :peelout:

http://www.amazon.co...00334187&sr=8-3

Archived