TEAM SHELBY FORUM

392 Challenger

mullens

I was at the dealer and had some time to kill so I walked over to Dodge who had a new 392 Edition Challenger on the floor. Good looking ride, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. The first thing that struck me was its size. Maybe I'm used to the Shelby, but that is a BIG car. The seats are very plush and the interior is real nice. The 4 wheel Brembos and slotted rotors are also impressive, but except for that it looked like a garden variety Challenger. We complain about the small tires on our cars, but the Challenger has 255/45/20's. You'd think Dodge would have put bigger meats on their flagship Challenger.

Here comes the best part: Base MSRP $42,850. Just over $50k with options (still not bad). BUT $16,995 ADM brings it over 67k. A little much even for an inaugural edtion. And someone will pay it.

If not for my GT500, I strongly believe that my next choice would've been that 392 Challenger. It really is a nice package and nails down the quarter in 12.9, and considering the weight and 255 rear tires, that isn't bad at all. I'm excited that they made so many improvements on the '11 to keep it relevant.

Then we come to the looks department.... and they NAILED it. I love the look of the car and of all the retro rides out there, I think Dodge knocked this one out of the park. Don't get me wrong, I adore my Shelby, but looks off the showroom floor to me is almost a toss up.

2011-dodge-challenger-srt8-392-inaugural-edition.jpg

Gorgeous car, I really think it is the best Dodge has done in years. I have supercharged 2 of them, they are fast, they look great, but still are WAY too heavy and have a terrible blindspot....

Alex

If not for my GT500, I strongly believe that my next choice would've been that 392 Challenger. It really is a nice package and nails down the quarter in 12.9, and considering the weight and 255 rear tires, that isn't bad at all. I'm excited that they made so many improvements on the '11 to keep it relevant.

Then we come to the looks department.... and they NAILED it. I love the look of the car and of all the retro rides out there, I think Dodge knocked this one out of the park. Don't get me wrong, I adore my Shelby, but looks off the showroom floor to me is almost a toss up.

I saw video's of them on youtube running 12.4 with an auto on stock 20's

Oh yea, I almost forgot. THEY NOW CHARGE FOR AIR IN THE TIRES. No I'm not joking. I was looking at the sticker and I see $195 for Nitrogen. I think maybe it's for nitrogen charged shocks. Oh no. I ask the salesman, and he tells me that the tires are now filled with nitrogen (a al Nascar) and they charge you for it. I was almost floored...I figured it was some kind of joke. I'm thinking, what happens when you have to add air? Take it to the dealer? I'm pretty sure my local Shell station doesn't have nitrogen pumps sitting outside.

Just when you think you've seen it all....

I run nitrogen in all my cars actually. It's really nice to have, since the pressures don't fluctuate when the tires heat up or cool down.

As for the new Challenger, I love the look of it almost as much as the new motor. But that price tag is a little bananas for what you're getting.

Oh yea, I almost forgot. THEY NOW CHARGE FOR AIR IN THE TIRES. No I'm not joking. I was looking at the sticker and I see $195 for Nitrogen. I think maybe it's for nitrogen charged shocks. Oh no. I ask the salesman, and he tells me that the tires are now filled with nitrogen (a al Nascar) and they charge you for it. I was almost floored...I figured it was some kind of joke. I'm thinking, what happens when you have to add air? Take it to the dealer? I'm pretty sure my local Shell station doesn't have nitrogen pumps sitting outside.

You really don`t have to take it to a dealer to have the nitrogen topped off most tire dealers have it as there are alot of cars that have nitrogen in their tires.now. Pressure stays constant.

Damn learn something new every day. Even still, almost $200?? Bettter yet..they should use helium. It will lighten the car up considerably.

You're right, $200 is asinine. I've never seen it priced any higher than $10 per tire. I usually pay $3-$4 per tire.

It's a badass looking car but I'm a performance enthusiast first and when a car weighs that much it's hard to justify that price, but that's just me. If your in it for looks, it's one of the best choices out there. If I'm not mistaken isn't the 300, Challenger and Charger all still based off of an old E class chassis from Mercedes?

^How much did you pay for that GT500 with an advertised curb weight of 3820 lbs? :lol:

It's cute how Mustang fans only mention a vehicle's obesity when Mopar is in the conversation. :reading:

Oh I'm no lightweight, but I should have clarified, for modern muscle cars the mopar is the heaviest. And for 42k MSRP there are many other muscle car options if performance is your goal. The Camaro is heavier than ours too. You won't ever hear me talk about my car in the same conversation as a vette or another sports car because they are apples to oranges but in the modern muscle car wars it seems as though Ford is at least trying to shed weight.

When I picked up my car there was a 35 dollar charge (considerably less than 195) for Nitrogen filled tires. Comes with 1 year of free fill-ups at any NitroFill location (like 8 in my local area), and an additional road side assistance deal all for 35 bucks. I didn't balk at it, from what I understand there is actually something to be had using nitrogen as far as losing air, tread life on tires because of that and MPG increase because of that...although nothing is going to make me get better MPG at this point except not pounding the accelerator down so much. I've got 5400 miles on the car already, 3 trips to drag strip, 1 day at VIR and last time I checked pressure last Saturday, were still at basically the same pressure as when I got the car. I'd say that's pretty good.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Archived