TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Project Shelby GT-R Finally Done

JDM forgot to list Steeda Underdrive pulleys, and carbon fiber elbow in the video. Also included in the install were Shelby Valve covers, Ford Racing V6 strut tower brace (Yes it fits over the new FRPP manifold) new spark plugs, and Shelby gauges. JDM has a dyno jet, but with heavier rollers. Produces the same numbers a Mustang Dyno would (Typically lower #'s). I can not wait to pick her up. The smile on my face is going to be Ridiculous. :D More Videos to come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGduLmNL2tY

Thanks guys!!! I was surprised by the numbers. On a regular dyno jet the numbers would have been 10-15 higher for each. But I guess the Mustang dyno or in this case the dyno jet with heavier rollers is more accurate? I just want to freaking drive it already!!!!!! :peelout::waiting::headspin: :hyper:

I know the video does the sound no justice. I'll have more videos up soon though!

Andrew, don't you have basically the same exact set up? Cams, manifold, elbow, throttle body, ud pulleys etc?

JDM forgot to list Steeda Underdrive pulleys, and carbon fiber elbow in the video. Also included in the install were Shelby Valve covers, Ford Racing V6 strut tower brace (Yes it fits over the new FRPP manifold) new spark plugs, and Shelby gauges. JDM has a dyno jet, but with heavier rollers. Produces the same numbers a Mustang Dyno would (Typically lower #'s). I can not wait to pick her up. The smile on my face is going to be Ridiculous. :D More Videos to come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGduLmNL2tY

Nice work but can you catch me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with my leaf blower

Your car isn't supercharged is it?

Only by a leaf blower but thinking of upgrading to propane !! All I have to do is get a propane tank about 4 should be good bolt it to my roof lite it up and its a jet car :happy feet:

Of course I will have a test pilot (dummy) do the 1st run I booked my ex-wife she thinks its a new car for her :hysterical:

Lol you guys are too much. What kind of blower do you have? And depending on how much power your putting down, I bet on the track, out of the turns I'll have you beat. I'll be hitting my power band while your still waiting to build boost. :peelout::poke::banvictory:

^You'd need to be at or near redline with that setup to hang with a supercharged 3V out of the corners. Blowers require zero time to 'build up boost'. Turbos are another story. Your new setup is a picture perfect candidate to bolt a centrifugal blower to, in my opinion (Paxton, Vortech, Procharger, etc).

Regardless, you'll certainly have more fun on a road course with those mods than you did stock. With the combo of intake/cams/long tubes, how badly was your torque curve affected in the low RPM range?

So what makes your car an 'R'? Did you mimic the build of that SGT in the magazine recently with the blue stripes or is this your personal interpretation of what an SGT-R should have been? You planning on changing your side stripes?

I thought about changing to a 'Shelby GT-R' side stripe quite awhile ago actually, but when the new Nissan GT-R came out, I figured it would only muddy people's perception of my car even further than it already is.

^You'd need to be at or near redline with that setup to hang with a supercharged 3V out of the corners. Blowers require zero time to 'build up boost'. Turbos are another story. Your new setup is a picture perfect candidate to bolt a centrifugal blower to, in my opinion (Paxton, Vortech, Procharger, etc).

Regardless, you'll certainly have more fun on a road course with those mods than you did stock. With the combo of intake/cams/long tubes, how badly was your torque curve affected in the low RPM range?

So what makes your car an 'R'? Did you mimic the build of that SGT in the magazine recently with the blue stripes or is this your personal interpretation of what an SGT-R should have been? You planning on changing your side stripes?

I thought about changing to a 'Shelby GT-R' side stripe quite awhile ago actually, but when the new Nissan GT-R came out, I figured it would only muddy people's perception of my car even further than it already is.

Honestly, the torque loss won't be noticed. (Stock SGT Tq #'s=300 at the wheels) My Tq is at 324 to the wheels after my mods. And while I know some Tq was sacrificed with the headers and manifold, but it will be made up with the 3.73 gears I put into the mix. Also the thing I liked about keeping my car N/A was that the raw power is constantly there and you always feel it. If I supercharged the car and drove it casually, you wouldn't feel any change from it being stock. What makes my car an R is that fact that in a sense I did mimic the build of the SGT in the magazine, but what I did in essence is very closely related to what Shelby did to the original GT350's back in the 60's to transform the car into the GT350-R (Intake, Headers, Gearing, Cams etc.) While another member on the forum made a valid point that an "R" badge only belongs on a strictly dedicated race car with stripped interior, I believe my car is in a figurative sense and as the magazine article puts it, a "spiritual successor" to the original GT350-R. In a literal sense, no my car is not an R because it does not have a gutted interior, racing seats, etc.

I am not going to change my side stripes because Shelby does not and will not recognize my build as a Shelby GT-R. To them, it is still a Shelby GT that I modified. I just wish they offered a package like this (Shelby GT-R Package) to keep the car N/A just as they already offer a SC package for the car.

Yes the thought of a Paxton is very tempting, and we always want more power, but I want a very well balanced car. Great handling and great balanced power. Although I may add a Paxton in the future, I do not see it being anytime soon. I'm also thinking that by the time I ever decide to do a Paxton, the prices will be lower considering they will be trying to sell their newest and greatest blower for the newest cars/mustangs.

Before a Paxton though would be some CNC ported and polished heads. And Ken I know I've said it before but, your car is one Bad to the ASS SGT. B) Your new track videos are awesome!

^Do you recall the 'soon to be released' limited edition Jerry Titus edition Shelby GT-R? It never came to fruition, but I was hoping for a long time that it would. My brother called about putting a deposit down, but they had already canned the idea. I wonder if anyone at SA still has the 'official list of mods' that the Titus SGT was to be equipped with?

Either way, perhaps the new Shelby Speed Shop in Vegas could offer an SGT-R package, since they don't have to worry about being 50 state compliant like the factory right around the corner. It wouldn't go into the registry as an SGT-R obviously, but the Speed Shop issues their own badges for their special builds and mods.

Ask you shall receive. This was what I read back in 2009.

2009 Ford Shelby GT “R Model” track day car highlights:

• 4.6-liter supercharged V-8 producing an estimated 550 horsepower

• 6-speed manual transmission with GT500 clutch, Ford Racing short-throw shifter and 3.73:1 gears

• Grand-Am spec roll cage

• Upgraded cooling system including differential and transmission coolers

• Shelby performance side exhaust system

• Lightweight production chassis with tuned suspension tuning including new springs,

• Shelby-designed 18-inch wheels with racing tires

• Racing brakes with front brake cooling ducts

• Unique grill featuring classic Shelby ‘R Model’ design

• ‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid, Shelby badges on the quarter panels

• Carbon fiber rear racing wing with billet stanchions and carbon fiber splitter

• White with silver stripes livery and racing mirrors

• Carroll Shelby autograph on each car and official Shelby “R Model” dash plate

• 6-speed manual transmission with GT500 clutch, Ford Racing short-throw shifter and 3.73:1 gears

• Lightweight production chassis with tuned suspension tuning including new springs,

• ‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid, Shelby badges on the quarter panels

• Carbon fiber rear racing wing with billet stanchions and carbon fiber splitter

Just looked this up. I read about this a while ago. Still can not find pictures or anything of any produced. Were these cars actually produced?

Maybe the new GT350 took this Shelby GT-R packages place?

No, the car was never produced, not even in prototype form. I was hunting for quite a while, and found no images or videos. However, it would NOT surprise me if SA did a GT350 Titus or Race edition in the next few years; call it the GT350T or GT350R. I was under the initial impressions that Shelby was going to build this R model as a ground up race car from the FR500C platform. Again, it never happened.

No, the car was never produced, not even in prototype form. I was hunting for quite a while, and found no images or videos. However, it would NOT surprise me if SA did a GT350 Titus or Race edition in the next few years; call it the GT350T or GT350R. I was under the initial impressions that Shelby was going to build this R model as a ground up race car from the FR500C platform. Again, it never happened.

I wish they did.... :nonono: . And as for the new GT350, they already have the GT350R package. They put the 650hp blower on the car.

Honestly, the torque loss won't be noticed. (Stock SGT Tq #'s=300 at the wheels) My Tq is at 324 to the wheels after my mods. And while I know some Tq was sacrificed with the headers and manifold, but it will be made up with the 3.73 gears I put into the mix. Also the thing I liked about keeping my car N/A was that the raw power is constantly there and you always feel it. If I supercharged the car and drove it casually, you wouldn't feel any change from it being stock. What makes my car an R is that fact that in a sense I did mimic the build of the SGT in the magazine, but what I did in essence is very closely related to what Shelby did to the original GT350's back in the 60's to transform the car into the GT350-R (Intake, Headers, Gearing, Cams etc.) While another member on the forum made a valid point that an "R" badge only belongs on a strictly dedicated race car with stripped interior, I believe my car is in a figurative sense and as the magazine article puts it, a "spiritual successor" to the original GT350-R. In a literal sense, no my car is not an R because it does not have a gutted interior, racing seats, etc.

I am not going to change my side stripes because Shelby does not and will not recognize my build as a Shelby GT-R. To them, it is still a Shelby GT that I modified. I just wish they offered a package like this (Shelby GT-R Package) to keep the car N/A just as they already offer a SC package for the car.

Yes the thought of a Paxton is very tempting, and we always want more power, but I want a very well balanced car. Great handling and great balanced power. Although I may add a Paxton in the future, I do not see it being anytime soon. I'm also thinking that by the time I ever decide to do a Paxton, the prices will be lower considering they will be trying to sell their newest and greatest blower for the newest cars/mustangs.

Before a Paxton though would be some CNC ported and polished heads. And Ken I know I've said it before but, your car is one Bad to the ASS SGT. B) Your new track videos are awesome!

Nice car, but the I agree with what Ken says. I actually was going to go this way as well but I realized what I wanted was pedigree and HP so the GT/SC was my only option. Just got the numbers today from Shelby, 490 RWHP. I should get the car back in 3-4 more weeks, very upbeat about it. I added up what it would cost me to do everytthing you did plus a little more to get to 385 N/A HP and I was going to be over $7K. But to each their own. Have you put any thought into braking, new suspension etc...? I want to add some new suspension items as I think that car handles just OK as is.

I stand corrected. Shelby does attach the R for the 600hp blower. I just wish it was more hardcore. Top five cars of ALL TIME- 1965 GT350R, built for one purpose- to go fast.

On the other note, the Paxton goes right along with the Shelby. The whipple is a more modern option. If you live in a state with strict emissions, the blower is the way to go. This way you could take it off.... if you had to.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks man.

Very nice package... congrats on getting what YOU want. I agree with you and Ken: no need to add an R to the side stripes. The

original didn't need it. And I disagree somewhat that the "R" badge only belongs on a strictly dedicated race car with stripped

interior. R stands for Race, so take it to the strip, track, or autocross course. If someone asks you why you call it an SGT-R, then

you can say "because I race it". Many folk did/do just that to 1966 GT-350s that were never official 1965 R versions.

-Tom

Many folk did/do just that to 1966 GT-350s that were never official 1965 R versions.

-Tom

Tom your exactly right. That is where the early Hertz model history was born. On the track.

You rented the car for the week-end. Drilled the holes in the floorboard to mount the rollbar, got your helmet and went to the racetrack

and brought the car back to Hertz hopefully non the wiser minus the rollbar.

CC

Nice car, but the I agree with what Ken says. I actually was going to go this way as well but I realized what I wanted was pedigree and HP so the GT/SC was my only option. Just got the numbers today from Shelby, 490 RWHP. I should get the car back in 3-4 more weeks, very upbeat about it. I added up what it would cost me to do everytthing you did plus a little more to get to 385 N/A HP and I was going to be over $7K. But to each their own. Have you put any thought into braking, new suspension etc...? I want to add some new suspension items as I think that car handles just OK as is.

I think the car handles pretty damn good. Auto Cross champ for the last 3 years straight. Are there better suspension set ups out there? Absolutely. But for right now, I'll keep my FRPP shocks. I did however upgrade to J&M Billet Aluminum LCA's last summer and an aluminum Griggs Racing adjustable panhard bar. Looking to do Koni's or Bilsteins in the future. If I want to get even more crazy, and save up the money, maybe even a Griggs set up. Also what else were you going to do to get 385rwhp? I didn't want to blow another $2,800 for CNC heads plus another $1000 for the labor right now. Were you thinking about bigger cams with springs? For the money they only net 15-20 hp over the FRPP cams and will run you another $1000 or so. When the car was stock, and you got on it, it took off. I just thought it needed a little more power. And another 80 hp at the wheels should put a big smile on my face.

And yes best "bang for the buck" is the supercharger. It gives you more power obviously, but don't forget, a whipple unit adds around 80lbs to the nose of the car. I just liked the N/A aspect. All motor power, in a way more "bad ass" I guess you can say. Also allowing the motor to breath more freely and operate to its best potential. The Paxton is a possibility in the future. I'm sure with the mods I've already done to the car, a Paxton would get me over 500 at the wheels easy.

The Shelby GT is special to me. It is special to all of us. No more will be made (at least pre titled that is). While I did mod the car, I have EVERY single stock part to the car. Not that I care about what the value will be in the future but that I at least have what it came with. If I want some serious power (500+ rwhp) and I'm going to be monkeying with the motor, I'd rather wait to save up and buy a mustang dedicated for the track. While I plan on running my SGT on the open track and strip a few times, I am not going to be doing it often. It is a special car, and I will always treat it like one. I don't plan on ever selling it either. EVER.

Long story short, no matter what kind of power your SGT makes, it's a Shelby and THAT is what matters most. :beerchug:

no my car is not an R because it does not have a gutted interior, racing seats, etc.

Well come on....let's get going!! :happy feet:

RightSide.jpg

I love what you done with your SGT. Car sounds bad ass! Did you get the Shelby valve covers or go with the custom ones? ;)

Thanks!!! I went with the black ones shelby has. The white would have been a nightmare to keep clean. What have you done to your car (engine wise)?

Well come on....let's get going!! :happy feet:

RightSide.jpg

I'm diggin' the shelby pins on the seat delete cover. Looks cool. You have more pics of your SGT?

Car is still basically stock engine wise, looking to add power but am still debating SC or NA. Funds and wife are dictating NA at this point. :club:

I hear ya. Just seems to me like everyone and their mothers have a supercharger. I like to be different. :shades: I like the idea of allowing my motor to run and breath more freely rather than shoving air down its throat.

I'm diggin' the shelby pins on the seat delete cover. Looks cool. You have more pics of your SGT?

Sure.

I've always been a big fan of the '65 and '66 GT-350s. Since Mr. Shelby had already started down the path with the SGT, I decided some time ago to steal some more of the '65/'66 styling cues as I retro-modded my SGT.

Tasca11-09-09.jpg

ShelfNameplateCS.jpg

TerlinguaRunk3-1.jpg

Archived