TEAM SHELBY FORUM

80 degrees today/Almost drove the Shelby

BillyRay

Here in AZ our weather gets alot nicer alot faster. The traffic is bad at times and I feel its a waste of Horsepower to drive in Stop & Go traffic during the week. We also have about 25% of the drivers here with no INS. so I,d rather drive my car on the weekend mornings or Sat /Sun afternoons.

Who drives to work and why?

I imagine some parts of the country are not so congested.

My problem is the GT500 wants me on that throttle.....needs me on that throttle ...but some people can't handle the truth!!! Nothing like sideways in 1st gear and hitting 2nd and that baby straightens outttttttttttttttttttt. BRay

post-3364-1173457794_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1173457794_thumb.jpg

Well, I drive to work. Why? My other car is a '93 Cobra (RED also) with a turbo 321 that gets about 14 MPG and is much less comfortable. Unlike some of the (apparently) idle rich on this site, I can't afford still another car just to keep from driving the Shelby. Besides, it's a car. Cars are meant to be driven. It is my karma to give this car what it wants. Of course, that means some suspension stuff soon. Oh, and a tune. Oh, and . . . . you get the picture. Over 11K miles and counting.

I guess I drive mine to work - but i work out of the basement of my house so it's really not a drive. My wife seems to think I am down here actually printing $ when i say I have to go make some $ but she holds up her end of the agreement.....She doesn't tell me how to make it and i don't tell her how to spend it ;)

We are still not that nice in IN but i go out for about 100 miles yesterday evening and hope to do the same tonight. I could potentially break into the 1K plus club this week end since the day on Sat. is supposed to be nice and I am at about 800 miles now.....If I did drive to work it would be hard for me to drive this one still. I am still worried about door dings, food in the car etc. I won't use it to pick up food and hate parking it to go in and eat.

I haven't driven mine since last November. It's suppose to be in the 50's this weekend, but there is a ton of salt on the roads up here so I will wait till it rains a half dozen times. I did pull it out of my garage a few days ago. Took it's older brother out too, but no further than my driveway. Spring is almost here. I did drive it to work a few times last fall, secure gaurded parking lot in Boston. Little hairy a few times on 128, but no close encounters, knock on wood.

Here in AZ our weather gets alot nicer alot faster. The traffic is bad at times and I feel its a waste of Horsepower to drive in Stop & Go traffic during the week. We also have about 25% of the drivers here with no INS. so I,d rather drive my car on the weekend mornings or Sat /Sun afternoons.

My problem is the GT500 wants me on that throttle.....needs me on that throttle ...but some people can't handle the truth!!! Nothing like sideways in 1st gear and hitting 2nd and that baby straightens outttttttttttttttttttt. BRay

BillyRay

I also live in Phoenix and would drive my GT500 to work when I went to work. I recently changed jobs and I now work from my home office so now I don't have to drive anywhere on a daily basis. :stats:

You are right about the weather...I feel sorry for those people in areas with bad weather that can not drive their baby on a regular basis.

I drive mine to work about twice per month

I drove it today in honor of GRABBER's arrival.

Taffic is not an issue on the way to work. I have a 27 mile ride and I arrive about 4:00am. It is half I-95 and the rest back roads way out in the swamps. I love the ride in , I don't speed but I do like to get to the posted speed limit as quick as I can. The ride home involves more traffic but I like to cruise through town. I don't like the hwy because of a lot of trucks, I don't want any rocks flying up hitting my car. The car gets a lot of attention. I see quite a few mustangs but have yet to see another GT500 (I know there is a couple around) The car also gets lots of attention at work.

..drive it to work once a week as a treat to myself, 50 round trip. Had 2 1/2 months, little over 1100 miles. I drive it unless there is actually snow or ice on road, or slated to rain. It gets dirty, and I wash as needed. I figure I got it to drive, not as an investment or to just look at. I'm having a blast!!!!!!

I try to keep the miles off my Shelby too. But your right .. a car is meant to be driven ! I still though try to keep miles off it.

My other driver is night and day difference. A 1990 F 250 reg cab .. mechanically in excellent shape .. just has some primer spots here and there ! .... and a mis matching fiberglass top thats gray .. ( truck is brown/beige)

Both vehicles IMHO ... stand out .. but for different reasons!

I hear ya Don, my daily driver is an old toyota van that just hit 217K; but its a race to see if and what breaks before I get another hand me down from one of my kids. I knew we would be buying another car for him this spring so I quit fixing things last year, or was it the year before that :hysterical2:

I got the stage 2 ordered yesterday, so looking forward to getting it, and having it installed and dyno'd before the end of March. Fred also had some new suspension parts, not yet advertised, that I'm trying out. He says some key areas on these uca/lca have been really beefed up.

take care

John

Unlike some of the (apparently) idle rich on this site, I can't afford still another car just to keep from driving the Shelby.

My driver is a 1996 Dodge Dakota with 203k on the odmeter. I never thought I would get branded as idle and rich for owning my Dakota :hysterical2:

I have not driven mine to work yet, but plan to drive it a few times. I sometimes have to drive around a lot for work and can end up parking in bad areas, so I need to pick the days I won't be going any place questionable.

Well, I drive to work. Why? My other car is a '93 Cobra (RED also) with a turbo 321 that gets about 14 MPG and is much less comfortable. Unlike some of the (apparently) idle rich on this site, I can't afford still another car just to keep from driving the Shelby. Besides, it's a car. Cars are meant to be driven. It is my karma to give this car what it wants. Of course, that means some suspension stuff soon. Oh, and a tune. Oh, and . . . . you get the picture. Over 11K miles and counting.

Hope your not calling me idle rich, I have another car to drive to work. You chose to buy your '93 Cobra, I chose to buy the car I drive to work. Not sure how that makes me rich compared to you.

I do drive mine to work on nice days...about 1-2x per week in good weather.

Dave

Hope your not calling me idle rich, I have another car to drive to work. You chose to buy your '93 Cobra, I chose to buy the car I drive to work. Not sure how that makes me rich compared to you.

Dave

We know you're rich Dave. Don't try to fool us. :hysterical2:

If the weather is good (like today), I drive mine in to work on Friday's (like today).

I don't drive mine to work. The parking lot at work is brutal and it'd be full of dents. I also drive 80 miles/day. My daily driver is an '03 Toyota Sequoia with 86K miles on it. I'd drive it on the weekends, but either I have no place to go, or no one to go with me.

I see a trip to Bob's Big Boy on a Friday night in my future...

Karen

We know you're rich Dave. Don't try to fool us. :hysterical2:

Isn't it great. All my family and co-workers think I'm loaded too. I guess it comes with driving such a nice car. Let them think what they will, it doesn't bother me. If any one asks for a loan I'll tell them they should have asked before I got my Shelby. :hysterical: I use to be rich, now I'm poor.

Even though I don't drive her much

I find it really hard to let it sit

It's just SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE!!!!! don't you think?

anyone else have this problem?

I drive mine every day that it isn't snowing. All the way down to sub-zero degrees. I just let 'er warm up for a few minutes so the tune works, then I'm reaaaally careful with those "slick as snot" tires. Snowing? No. Raining? Yes.

7,300 miles since 8/5/06.

I bought it to drive it. It won't be collectable til after I'm dead and gone and then I won't care.

bj :rip:

I drove mine to work yesterday for only the second time. Spent the day worrying about it out on the very edge of the parking lot, as far away rom potential door dings as I could get it! Won't drive to work all that often, but I don't have problem with putting miles on my Shelby--I bought it to enjoy it!

CC

Drive mine to work as often as I can. All 4 days M-Th this week were great weather days so the Shelby went to the office every day. About a 65mile round trip commute. I do have a very protected parking space in an underground garage at the office so do not really worry about it there. I am moving out to our suburban office next week so will have to rethink that. Drive my F250 to work on rain days....it does not snow here. :banana piano:

I did buy a cover for the car as the new office does not have coverd parking.

Even though I don't drive her much

I find it really hard to let it sit

It's just SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE!!!!! don't you think?

anyone else have this problem?

lwellmaker, i have that same issue. i've had my gt500 since 9/8/2006. 3,300 miles so far. it is very difficult to leave it in the garage. i bought this car to drive it but i do use restraint. i commute to the downtown area in my little puddle jumper, a 97 civic sedan. talk about night and day driving experiences. but, i cannot bring myself to driving my gt500 to work. the garage i use to park at is covered but the spaces are rather small and there is an occasional break-in (usually for a cell phone or radio).

that being said, i usually save the weekends for my gt500 as long as it is not snowing or raining. i live in a four climate area so i knew i would have to get myself in the seasonal driving mindset even though my gt500 is screaming obscenities at me every morning as i pass her by in the garage to jump into my 32 mpg civic. i just hope she isn't getting a complex! i know i will never drive it in the snow and the newness has not worn off to the point where i can drive it in the rain yet. i know the rain won't melt the car, but i still have that mental block. i am projecting my car to have about 6,000 - 7,000 miles by it's one year anniversary.

I wanted something fun to drive and boy is it fun! Had been wanting a vert for several years...when the shelby came out I knew it was the perfect combo...fun car and vert!

My car came in just over a month ago. I have been top down probably 20% of the time...I live in NE AL and it has been great weather...today, in fact, it was almost 75 degrees.

So, yes, I drive it to work.....with the top down....and drive it home from work.....top down. I love it!

I do have Caddy truck that was my everyday ride, but I just can't not drive the Shelby. I'm at 4100 miles. Drove it to Tampa a couple of weeks ago on a biz trip....(wanted some bonding time with her..the car, that is) and this weekend when to a knife show in NW GA...had a blast....top down on this trip too!

Dave

Nah, Dave. Didn't have anyone particular in mind. You may recall when the car first came out a number of folks made snide remarks about how only the rich could afford this car, and that it was priced beyond the means of the folks who really SHOULD have it instead of some old fart with gold neck chains who presumably bought it just to be cool.

My '93 is too much the race car to be a comfortable commuter car.

Nah, Dave. Didn't have anyone particular in mind. You may recall when the car first came out a number of folks made snide remarks about how only the rich could afford this car, and that it was priced beyond the means of the folks who really SHOULD have it instead of some old fart with gold neck chains who presumably bought it just to be cool.

My '93 is too much the race car to be a comfortable commuter car.

I know the feeling, my Honda is too much of a commuter car to be a good race car. :hysterical2:

P.S. For the record, Alloy Dave has no gold neck chains. :happy feet:

Well just over 1 week home now and about to hit 950 miles! This was planned to be my daily driver but sitting in stop and go with this clutch in and out for 50 minutes each way is a real drag. It really sucks the fun out of it. I've driven it to work more than I wanted after deciding to keep my other car. So the funny part is I'm commuting in it enough to not justify the other car! But with a convertible top down I don't mind taking the long way home plus getting lunch is now a bonus when I drive the Shelby! I did drive it in the rain last week and that makes for an entertaining ride too but can't beat the CA weather we are having now!

I know the feeling, my Honda is too much of a commuter car to be a good race car. :hysterical2:

P.S. For the record, Alloy Dave has no gold neck chains. :happy feet:

I note that you pointedly DID NOT DENY wearing Jade, though. We could clear all this up if you were to drive twelve hours to the Outer Banks for the M&G. No pressure. Reputations often survive some damage. Can you risk it? :doh:

I note that you pointedly DID NOT DENY wearing Jade, though. We could clear all this up if you were to drive twelve hours to the Outer Banks for the M&G. No pressure. Reputations often survive some damage. Can you risk it? :doh:

12 hours is too far for me. :stop: I'm willing to go up to about 5-6 hours though....which would put me in range of:

Detroit

St. Louis

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Columbus OH

Louisville

Chicago (hate the traffic there though)

and many other smaller cities in between would be fine too!

Archived