TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pulley vs. TVS

I am looking to put a 2.59 pulley, CAI, CS intercoller w/fans, lower 2008 crank pulley and programmer on my 07 GT500. Why do some people go with a new supercharger(TVS) to gain the same HP? Can anyone help me with this? I realize the TVS may be more efficient, but I don't understand the cost vs. HP gain. JD

:headscratch: : :sos::headscratch:

Had the standard "Stage II" + supporting mods as you described for the first couple years of ownership - wasn't enough ;) . So switched to the VMP TVS for this year and hoping to pick up another 100hp or so...the TVS is a big step up from your basic pullied Stage II.

I swapped stock blower/2.6 to a tvs/2.6 and off road x-pipe and gained 100 rwhp and at least 80-100rwtq, I have room to grow also with t/b, plenum, overdrive crank pulley and long tubes. I was gonna keep the stock blower but found a deal I couldn't pass up on a used tvs, only reason I really switched. I was perfectly happy with stocker blower, I do miss the loud whine up a stock blower, but the kick in the pants the tvs gives you is well worth it!

Thanks guys for clearing that up. I guess I will start with the upgrades I listed. Then once I get use to them I will upgrade again. When I bought he car I thought the factory hp was enough but as you guys know you want more. The wife keeps asking what is wrong with the factory equipment or they should have done that to start with. But that wouldn't be any fun would it!

:rockon::rockon:

The original poster is probably looking at the Ford Racing TVS blower package with the FRPP 113MM cai and the pro-cal tune M-6066-SGT.

That FRPP package comes with a very mild 91 octane tune that they can warranty and feel good about if someone fills up with marginal gas (like 87 or 89 octane). It's rated at 540-565 at the wheels, or about 605 at the crank.

I first got that package over 3 years ago and installed it on my GT500, with my tune it was making 590-600 at the wheels. A nice step up from the 540-550 that most cars make with a stock blower, upper pulley, and cai. Boost levels were about the same between the two, at 12-13psi. However due to the TVS's larger displacement and higher efficiency it only needed a 2.9" pulley vs a 2.6" pulley on the stock blower.

Back then, I put a 2.65 pulley on my FRPP TVS, which brought the boost up to 16psi and around 620-630RWHP. I did various other mods, lower pulley, throttle body, high flow cats, then longtubes, then cams, eventually got it up to 773RWHP.

With everything that I learned about the TVS, I recently came out with my own version, the VMP TVS. It comes with a 2.5" pulley for 17psi right out of the box, along with a cnc port matched high flow inlet elbow ready to take a big throttle body, or you can stick with the stock one so you don't max out the fuel system.

I rate my VMP TVS blower at 630-660rwhp with a stock TB, CAI, stock fuel system, and tune. WIth a TB and exhaust you can get 680-700rwhp. WIth a lower pulley you can get very far into the 700s. My car with cams has made 816RWHP with the VMP TVS.

The primary benefit to the VMP TVS blower is that it comes with all the upgrades right out of the box, is reasonably priced, and is warrantied with a smaller pulley. My TVS is specially machined to accept a 2.5" pulley which already comes installed on the blower. The inlet to the supercharger is CNC machined to a larger shape to flow more air and mate precisely to our high flow inlet elbow.

vmptvsvsfrpp.jpg

More info and dyno results on my website:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=415&parent=88

The original poster is probably looking at the Ford Racing TVS blower package with the FRPP 113MM cai and the pro-cal tune M-6066-SGT.

That FRPP package comes with a very mild 91 octane tune that they can warranty and feel good about if someone fills up with marginal gas (like 87 or 89 octane). It's rated at 540-565 at the wheels, or about 605 at the crank.

I first got that package over 3 years ago and installed it on my GT500, with my tune it was making 590-600 at the wheels. A nice step up from the 540-550 that most cars make with a stock blower, upper pulley, and cai. Boost levels were about the same between the two, at 12-13psi. However due to the TVS's larger displacement and higher efficiency it only needed a 2.9" pulley vs a 2.6" pulley on the stock blower.

Back then, I put a 2.65 pulley on my FRPP TVS, which brought the boost up to 16psi and around 620-630RWHP. I did various other mods, lower pulley, throttle body, high flow cats, then longtubes, then cams, eventually got it up to 773RWHP.

With everything that I learned about the TVS, I recently came out with my own version, the VMP TVS. It comes with a 2.5" pulley for 17psi right out of the box, along with a cnc port matched high flow inlet elbow ready to take a big throttle body, or you can stick with the stock one so you don't max out the fuel system.

I rate my VMP TVS blower at 630-660rwhp with a stock TB, CAI, stock fuel system, and tune. WIth a TB and exhaust you can get 680-700rwhp. WIth a lower pulley you can get very far into the 700s. My car with cams has made 816RWHP with the VMP TVS.

The primary benefit to the VMP TVS blower is that it comes with all the upgrades right out of the box, is reasonably priced, and is warrantied with a smaller pulley. My TVS is specially machined to accept a 2.5" pulley which already comes installed on the blower. The inlet to the supercharger is CNC machined to a larger shape to flow more air and mate precisely to our high flow inlet elbow.

vmptvsvsfrpp.jpg

More info and dyno results on my website:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=415&parent=88

I had the VMP 2.65 pulley and tune with my stock blower then I upgraded to VMP's TVS set up with the 2.5 pulley and tune and it flat runs. I ran it on every possible session at the Shelby Bash with the 91 Octane tune and it was flawless. Perfect idle quality great response on the low end with incredable power on the top end. I believe this is the perfect street / track set up. I was on the fence in regards to a Ford TVS or VMP, but Justin's reputation and customer service is the best. Having never met Justin he hunted me down at the Bash to see how it was all going and if I had any questions. It doesnt get any better

Go with this set up and you will be glad you did.

See my other light mod's in my sig

Ted

I just dyno'ed my stock blower car. Made 640HP @ 16 LB's. I was out last night playing around. Burnt tires up to 100 MPH. With M&H 325/50/15 that i didn't get hot before i took off racing a Corvette. Still won the race.

Not bad for a stock blower car. You can make this car very fast with out spending a lot of money. It'll never be as fast as some of the big blower cars. A big shot of spray should help. You can make a dependable and cheap 640 HP with your stock blower. If you can do the work yourself. But that's about it. Any higher and you'll need spray or a bigger blower.

Once i get the Induction Solutions direct port nitrous kit installed. I'll head back to the dyno and see what it makes. My guess is 750/775 HP with 800 ft lb's of torque. Torque could be even higher. With 100 HP jets. When i build an engine. It'll be time for some much bigger jets. Gotta love modern technology/cars. Almost 650 HP and the engine is still runing all stock parts. Stock fuel system, injectors, blower, exhaust manifolds. Only thing under the hood. That doesn't look stock is, T/body and CAI. That's gotta eat some Chevy guys up. Guy with the Vette couldn't believe it. He ask me to open the trunk so he could verify i wasn't spraying....... :hysterical: .

Had the standard "Stage II" + supporting mods as you described for the first couple years of ownership - wasn't enough ;) . So switched to the VMP TVS for this year and hoping to pick up another 100hp or so...the TVS is a big step up from your basic pullied Stage II.

Same here. I haven't even done the 10% OD lower so with the TVS you have a lot more potential than the pulleyed stock blower.

I had the VMP 2.65 pulley and tune with my stock blower then I upgraded to VMP's TVS set up with the 2.5 pulley and tune and it flat runs. I ran it on every possible session at the Shelby Bash with the 91 Octane tune and it was flawless. Perfect idle quality great response on the low end with incredable power on the top end. I believe this is the perfect street / track set up. I was on the fence in regards to a Ford TVS or VMP, but Justin's reputation and customer service is the best. Having never met Justin he hunted me down at the Bash to see how it was all going and if I had any questions. It doesnt get any better

Go with this set up and you will be glad you did.

See my other light mod's in my sig

Ted

I can't wait. Justin is coming to Shelbyfest in late April and is going to install this package on my '08 500. Along with the CJ 123 MAF and CJ 65mm TB, I'm hoping for around 675rwhp. Already got high flow cats, 1 piece DS, and cooling mods installed. Not doing the 10% lower as it will over commit my stock injectors (I want the stock drivability).

Thanks for reaffirming that I've made a good decision to wait for this system. I've been waiting 3 years for power mods and it has just about drove me crazy.

17psi seems a touch high to me for open track use, but larger pullies to drop the boost negates the power gains from the TVS. :headscratch:

Yeah its a lot of power for the chassis to handle on a road course.

Not at all, the tvs is still +50hp if you were to drop the boost down to 13psi like a pulleyed stock blower. For anyone that wants my TVS with a larger pulley i can arrange it.

Yeah its a lot of power for the chassis to handle on a road course.

Not at all, the tvs is still +50hp if you were to drop the boost down to 13psi like a pulleyed stock blower. For anyone that wants my TVS with a larger pulley i can arrange it.

What would 13/15psi do with MAF/TB/Headers?

I just dyno'ed my stock blower car. Made 640HP @ 16 LB's. I was out last night playing around. Burnt tires up to 100 MPH. With M&H 325/50/15 that i didn't get hot before i took off racing a Corvette. Still won the race.

Not bad for a stock blower car. You can make this car very fast with out spending a lot of money. It'll never be as fast as some of the big blower cars. A big shot of spray should help. You can make a dependable and cheap 640 HP with your stock blower. If you can do the work yourself. But that's about it. Any higher and you'll need spray or a bigger blower.

Once i get the Induction Solutions direct port nitrous kit installed. I'll head back to the dyno and see what it makes. My guess is 750/775 HP with 800 ft lb's of torque. Torque could be even higher. With 100 HP jets. When i build an engine. It'll be time for some much bigger jets. Gotta love modern technology/cars. Almost 650 HP and the engine is still runing all stock parts. Stock fuel system, injectors, blower, exhaust manifolds. Only thing under the hood. That doesn't look stock is, T/body and CAI. That's gotta eat some Chevy guys up. Guy with the Vette couldn't believe it. He ask me to open the trunk so he could verify i wasn't spraying....... :hysterical: .

Thats really impressive . What mods have you done to get this power level . I'm still playing with the stock blower at the moment . Got a 67mm TB and ported elbow to go on this spring . Maybe looking at doing some High flow cats and a re-tune with 94 octane as we are supposed to get that at our Petro Can gas stations this year . Hopefully with those few mods with thye higher octane , i would like it to be close to the 560 / 580 rwhp mark .

High 500s/low 600s

In your opinion for engine/blower longevity what is the best option a 13psi stock blower or a 13psi TVS? I'm not looking to impress anyone with big numbers just the most reliable stock driving set up possible with the power to run with the a new ZL1 Camaro of a cammed C6 Vette. I had been pretty sold on a Whipple with lower boost but the numbers and cost of your TVS has me thinking for the power I want its the best bang for the buck. I live in Michigan and drive the car from 40 deg F to 100 deg F I have no idea how good our gas is and want to be very safe and not worry about blowing the thing up.

In your opinion for engine/blower longevity what is the best option a 13psi stock blower or a 13psi TVS? I'm not looking to impress anyone with big numbers just the most reliable stock driving set up possible with the power to run with the a new ZL1 Camaro of a cammed C6 Vette. I had been pretty sold on a Whipple with lower boost but the numbers and cost of your TVS has me thinking for the power I want its the best bang for the buck. I live in Michigan and drive the car from 40 deg F to 100 deg F I have no idea how good our gas is and want to be very safe and not worry about blowing the thing up.

I would imagine the TVS would be more efficient and provide slightly lower IAT2 temps, but at 13psi it's not really working as good as it should be.

• 1 year later...

I am looking to put a 2.59 pulley, CAI, CS intercoller w/fans, lower 2008 crank pulley and programmer on my 07 GT500. Why do some people go with a new supercharger(TVS) to gain the same HP? Can anyone help me with this? I realize the TVS may be more efficient, but I don't understand the cost vs. HP gain. JD

:headscratch: : :sos::headscratch:

Justins and BJ's VMP TVS will stomp the Chit out of a stock 122 eaton it will not be close, the stock eaton pullied and tuned won't be a match for a 2.5 pullied and tuned TVS period.

For the money you will spend and the ease of install the TVS is a good way to make very decent power. I'm putting down 570 at the rear wheels with a DA of 7800 FT with a TVS/+tune no OTHER MODS on the car.

So I know it makes good usable power I'm power hungry though so I want another 400 HP :rockon:

I'm still debating which bigger SC or Turbo set to go with, you will not have any issues if you deal directly with BJ at VMP the guy is straight and is not going to bullshit you, he is a car guy and he does race his product, the quality of the port match from plenum to blower is excellent, the plenum port work is excellent.

Oh I bought my set up to race about 6 people that all talked chit about my Shelby because I come from the GM camp, after installing the VMP on a Friday I was at the track Saturday, not one person who said the Shleby is junk showed up to back up the talk and my car ran very strong for the first time out in DA's of 6600 plus feet of air.

So I do believe VMP's power claim, I'm sold that it is legit.

Just an FYI

• 4 weeks later...

All this talk...and I was going to go pullied and tuned. F it...I think I'm going to save my nickles and go VMP TVS and just go for the gusto!

Gotta drop it first, then get the cooling mods....Dual Fan HE and t-stat...then I'll be doing this....or sooner if I can't wait! LOL!

Archived