TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best after market brake pads

1badsho

With my 2007 GT500 at 41000 miles .... Im getting real close to getting brake pads on the fronts and rears. I've heard there are better pads than stock for the rears and fronts. I dont use my car at the drags nor do I autocross it .. just everyday driving ... so with that in mind what would the forum recommend as replacement pads vs OEM pads from Ford

Can't say they are the best, but Autozone Duralast Gold Cmax pads are great for substantially reduced brake dust, good street performance, low cost and lifetime warranty. Been using them for a year and a half now and I'm very happy with them for street use.

Another for Hawk. I ran the HP Plus on the last car. They had low dust and worked better than OEM. I'm going to try the Hawk PC's (Performance Ceramic) on this car to get rid of the ugly OEM dust and hope they help stop the beast better than OEM.

I'll give one more vote for the Cmax ceramic pads. VERY low dust, great stopping power on par with Hawk and Mintex once bedded in. Good life and free replacements and they are easy on the rotors. I have had them for well over a year and several track days. They do fine at high temps but are not a special purpose track pad. Great street / every day pad though.

I switched to the Cmax for everyday driving from the stock pads. Practically no dust.

I use the Hawk HPS for the track. Lots of dust! Even the 100 or so mile drive to the track leaves an obvious layer of dust on the wheels.

For minimal dust, go with the Cmax. For better stopping go with the HPS.

The Cmax pads have VERY little dust. I also use armor all wheel protectant. With that combo, I can drive my car for 2 weeks and the wheels still look good. One day on the OEM pads and the front wheels were black. And yes, once bedded in, the Cmax pads do indeed seem to stop slightly better than the stock Brembo pads. I have not done measured test stops, just butt-o-meter comparisons but am very pleased with them.

The warranty helps them get you to buy them. Statistics show very few are actually provided free. Its a rare occurance that a vehicle will wear out 2 of the same component (OEM and the purchased replacement) during the ownership tenure of the average owner. When the replacement is given, it usually results in additional purchases at the time. Exceptions do exist, perhaps this is one of them but overall its a sound marketing ploy in the autoparts business.

FYI, I also have the Cmax pads on my F250 and could not be more pleased with them. Did not even pay full price for those as I had Autozone pads on it that wore out. They let me pay the difference to upgrade to the ceramic pads.

Can't say they are the best, but Autozone Duralast Gold Cmax pads are great for substantially reduced brake dust, good street performance, low cost and lifetime warranty. Been using them for a year and a half now and I'm very happy with them for street use.

I might add that the Cmax pads are quiet too ... I haven't heard a peep out of them.

How many (street) miles are you guys getting out of the oem pads? I'm approaching 22k and don't want them to dig into the rotors. I have no lift or access to one or I'd pull them and check....just looking for a range.....

Thanks!

How many (street) miles are you guys getting out of the oem pads? I'm approaching 22k and don't want them to dig into the rotors. I have no lift or access to one or I'd pull them and check....just looking for a range.....

Thanks!

The fronts are easy to check. Just jack up the car, pull a wheel off, and take a look. A flashlight helps. Then go to the next wheel.

The warranty helps them get you to buy them. Statistics show very few are actually provided free. Its a rare occurance that a vehicle will wear out 2 of the same component (OEM and the purchased replacement) during the ownership tenure of the average owner. When the replacement is given, it usually results in additional purchases at the time. Exceptions do exist, perhaps this is one of them but overall its a sound marketing ploy in the autoparts business.

FYI, I also have the Cmax pads on my F250 and could not be more pleased with them. Did not even pay full price for those as I had Autozone pads on it that wore out. They let me pay the difference to upgrade to the ceramic pads.

I asked a store manager how the manufacturers could warranty a normal wear item part for a lifetime.

His answer.....

They are not a lifetime warranty for normal wear, only if the pad breaks or cracks. We won't replace them just because they are worn down, they have to be broken. His advice, wear them out, then break one....lol

• 4 weeks later...

Does auto zone carry them in stock or do they need to order them? :shift:

They were in stock at the Autozone store where I purchased mine. I've only had them on for 2 days. Did the initial bedding in. So far, so good. I'm installing my CCW wheels this weekend and did not want the massive dust from the original pads messing them up on every trip.

• 4 months later...

Archived