TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help with options

I've ordered my 2012 GT and am trying to decide on options from Shelby. So far I'm sold on 624hp polished and am not interested in paying 5k for painted stripes. I'll live with the vinyl.

Is the cooling system necessary? Rear brakes? Upgraded interior? These are the three I'm considering. I have no intention of tracking the car. Well maybe once, but that's it! Would I be shooting myself in the foot on resale if I leave any of these options out?

Thanks for the help guys.

You can add cooling and brakes and interior at any time. Personally, I felt the interior was a waste, because you get some interior ugrades standard, headrests and mats and center console dress up. No knock on Gary Disney, he does great work. Just wasnt enough work done for the money for my tastes. Also, I am more than happy with the stock stereo, so that was something Im glad I didnt do. I have tracked my car, and had no issues with the stock setup on brakes, although I think the rear brake upgrade does LOOK terriffic. I may have to do the cooling upgrade though soon as I live in Texas. Get your donor car with leather interior, and look at one of my threads where I bought a full leather interior OEM replacement for my 350 that I will just leave in the box until I need to replace a seat cover or decide to do the whole thing. I picked it up for about 400.00, so Im REALLY happy I have that. Good luck with the purchase!happy%20feet.gif

If no track, you do not need the rear brakes.Like Warren said though, they look great and i'm glad i ordered them. If you are going to drive the card hard and you live in florida, get the cooling! it looks great and works great. i have it on the 350 and my 500. money well spent imho. i did not get the interior as it was just not my style. i like the interior from ford with the 400a package. good luck with your choices and hurry up and wait. you will not have to decide on options for some time so don't stress it now. remember, the longer it takes to be built the more time you have for making some $$$ to pay for any/all options your heart will desire - and a future buyer also.

I agree with Tony and Warren. However, I went with the painted stripes. This was based on owning an SGT with the vinyl stripes and the pain that was involved in having to take care of them. I was actually in the process of getting bids to paint the stripes on the SGT when I sold it to make room for the 350. The painted stripes, to me at least, were a no-brainer. Yea, their expensive, but you'll only do it once and you'll never have to worry about replacing the vinyl or trying to protect it. And the painted stripes look and feel absolutely terrific. They do a nice job and that's also the only way to have full stripes on the rear. The vinyl stops half way down.

I plan on keeping the car forever, so as I said, the painted stripes were the first option I added.

John

I ordered the painted stripes. No brainer for me too. I do not want to take care of the vinyl stripes over the years. I also ordered the upgraded interior, but based on comments here, I am changing my mind. I too thought the price was high given the rather minor changes.

Are you sure you want the highest HP engine if you are not tracking? I went with the 525 HP supercharger. It will be plenty of power.

I was not going to order the upgrade interior but when I went to SA and saw it, I knew I had to have it. I have not received my car yet but if it looks like the one that was at SA (I’m sure it will) it was a no brainer for me.

You can add cooling and brakes and interior at any time. Personally, I felt the interior was a waste, because you get some interior ugrades standard, headrests and mats and center console dress up. No knock on Gary Disney, he does great work. Just wasnt enough work done for the money for my tastes. Also, I am more than happy with the stock stereo, so that was something Im glad I didnt do. I have tracked my car, and had no issues with the stock setup on brakes, although I think the rear brake upgrade does LOOK terriffic. I may have to do the cooling upgrade though soon as I live in Texas. Get your donor car with leather interior, and look at one of my threads where I bought a full leather interior OEM replacement for my 350 that I will just leave in the box until I need to replace a seat cover or decide to do the whole thing. I picked it up for about 400.00, so Im REALLY happy I have that. Good luck with the purchase!happy%20feet.gif

Can add brakes, interior, and cooling at any time? By sending back to Las Vegas? I've heard the rear brakes look great from other folks too. Do you happen to have a picture of them and a picture of the stock brakes? Is it safe to assume that all the pictures on the Shelby American site are of the upgraded brakes?

Can you link your thread on your interior replacement please?

Thanks

I ordered the painted stripes. No brainer for me too. I do not want to take care of the vinyl stripes over the years. I also ordered the upgraded interior, but based on comments here, I am changing my mind. I too thought the price was high given the rather minor changes.

Are you sure you want the highest HP engine if you are not tracking? I went with the 525 HP supercharger. It will be plenty of power.

Yes sir, I'm 100% positive I want and NEED the 624 hp. The last thing I need is for a Z06 to pull up next to me and blow me off the road.

I agree with Tony and Warren. However, I went with the painted stripes. This was based on owning an SGT with the vinyl stripes and the pain that was involved in having to take care of them. I was actually in the process of getting bids to paint the stripes on the SGT when I sold it to make room for the 350. The painted stripes, to me at least, were a no-brainer. Yea, their expensive, but you'll only do it once and you'll never have to worry about replacing the vinyl or trying to protect it. And the painted stripes look and feel absolutely terrific. They do a nice job and that's also the only way to have full stripes on the rear. The vinyl stops half way down.

I plan on keeping the car forever, so as I said, the painted stripes were the first option I added.

John

Can you please talk about the work involved in protecting the vinyl stripes? My car will sit in the garage except for the 3,000 miles I put on it per year, so no sun damage.

Can you please talk about the work involved in protecting the vinyl stripes? My car will sit in the garage except for the 3,000 miles I put on it per year, so no sun damage.

Sure. There are literally hundreds of posts (not threads, but posts) on the site about problems with stripes. Some were the original stripes that were a problem but others are just about caring for and solving problems that come up with stripes. Everything from how to protect them from cleaners and waxes to contaminants that are in the air. And for every potential danger there will be a multitude of opinions and solutions, some of which will actually work, to protect the vinyl. You, however, will need to sift through all the info and come up with what you think will work for you...and hopefully be correct.

When I had the SGT, it too was a garaged, fair weather driver. But even then I found pockets of fog on cruises and even early morning dew would condense when we'd start out early. Of course this immediately put water spots on the stripes. So there I was with my microfiber towels carefully dabbing the stripes dry whenever we stopped. Not only that, but I was constantly looking for bug splatters and bee droppings on the stripes so they couldn't soak in and leave a permanent stain.

No, I had perfect stripes when I sold the SGT, but only because I worked my tail off to keep them perfect. I sold it to a good friend who uses it as a daily driver (my hero). Know what? He painted the stripes!

So, it's your call. But remember the old saying: If you can't profit from others mistakes, they might as well quit making them.

John

Can add brakes, interior, and cooling at any time? By sending back to Las Vegas? I've heard the rear brakes look great from other folks too. Do you happen to have a picture of them and a picture of the stock brakes? Is it safe to assume that all the pictures on the Shelby American site are of the upgraded brakes?

Can you link your thread on your interior replacement please?

Thanks

I am on my phone so I will look for that thread when I get to a computer Sunday, but yes, you can add anything they sell at any time. Shelby doesnt have to install it for it to be a Shelby authentic part.

They didnt offer the driveshaft and a few other things until after I picked up my car, so it doesnt make any difference where it gets installed, as long as it is right.

Yes sir, I'm 100% positive I want and NEED the 624 hp. The last thing I need is for a Z06 to pull up next to me and blow me off the road.

LOL, good point. I guess I don't see enough of them on the road where I live to worry too much. More likely a camaro or challenger, and got them licked!

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time- read 10 or more years, get the stripes painted on; it'd be nice if they cleared over everything too. Vinyl is not designed to be permanent. I wouldn't worry about cooling ducts unless you plan on hot lapping your car on the track several times a year. What the heck is with the interior upgrade..... really? I'm sorry guys, but I don't think of plush leather interiors when I think of a GT350.

My understanding is that painted stripes are no longer an option. It seems it was a bit too involved and time consuming. I have heard this from several different people, but I will not guarantee it to be true. Might want to check.

My understanding is that painted stripes are no longer an option. It seems it was a bit too involved and time consuming. I have heard this from several different people, but I will not guarantee it to be true. Might want to check.

I heard that too.

IMO, I would definitely get the cooling upgrade if you are going for the 624. I would probably have them install a Spec clutch too. I would leave off the rear brakes, and the stereo upgrade. I would also get a watts link, and upper and lower control arms.

Chris

I'm convinced painted stripes are still available. I asked Roger about this and the option of the rear bumper paint and he said "yes".

Archived