TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Garage door opener

davegt500

Looks like this is going to require running a pwr wire down one side or the other. Big question to me is how is the A pillar trim removed without animalizing.

Does it pry off, or snap off?

Just grab and pull down starting from rear.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is it going?

I haven't had a chance to bring the car back to the dealership with cold wet snowy weather here in the northeast. However, the harness the dealership ordered is part # AR3Z14335AA for a 2012 convertible. It was about $11. The first full week of April I hope to get the car back to the dealership to install the visor. I will update all when & if I have success.

I haven't had a chance to bring the car back to the dealership with cold wet snowy weather here in the northeast. However, the harness the dealership ordered is part # AR3Z14335AA for a 2012 convertible. It was about $11. The first full week of April I hope to get the car back to the dealership to install the visor. I will update all when & if I have success.

Quick update. The AR3Z14335AA is not the correct harness for the visors. That harness only goes to the overhead console. The harness is the same for 2010 thru 2012. So anybody that's ordering that is getting something that's already in their car. The correct harness is CR3Z-17K745-BA. At least thats the one for rear view mirrors that don't have compasses. The harness is for the mirror and the visors. I actually installed it today. It's a direct replacement that plugs into the factory harness. That's the good news. The bad news is no juice is coming thru at least to the visors. Most likely the extra wires on the new harness are plugging into no wires on the old harness. And as far as I can tell that ones gonna be a bitch...at least if ya do it right. It's directly behind the dash and i'm thinking it's a major harness not just a little 3 connector pigtail. Unfortunately I had to roll shortly after the install. I did the 'grunt' work. I'll have to get somebody that actually knows what they're doing (at work) to give it a look see. I'll update as soon as that happens. Incidentally the only panels you really need to remove for the install is the top console panel, the right windshield pillar panel and the right side dash cover (with the big hole in it). All just pull out with the exception of the 2 screws that hold in the visor clips. You will also have to squeeze the box part of your glove box to allow it to get past the stops and hang fully down. Removal of all these pieces will give you full access to the entire visor/rear view mirror harness. Install took me about an hour (going slow and meticulous not to scratch or damage anything). I actually plugged in the harness before I installed it and kinda figured it wasn't sending power to the visors. I also figured what the hell...might as well put it in anyway cuz it ain't gonna effect anything that I had prior to the install. I still have nonilluminating vanity mirrors and no homelink functionality. Hopefully we can get it handled this week.

Quick update. The AR3Z14335AA is not the correct harness for the visors. That harness only goes to the overhead console. The harness is the same for 2010 thru 2012. So anybody that's ordering that is getting something that's already in their car. The correct harness is CR3Z-17K745-BA. At least thats the one for rear view mirrors that don't have compasses. The harness is for the mirror and the visors. I actually installed it today. It's a direct replacement that plugs into the factory harness. That's the good news. The bad news is no juice is coming thru at least to the visors. Most likely the extra wires on the new harness are plugging into no wires on the old harness. And as far as I can tell that ones gonna be a bitch...at least if ya do it right. It's directly behind the dash and i'm thinking it's a major harness not just a little 3 connector pigtail. Unfortunately I had to roll shortly after the install. I did the 'grunt' work. I'll have to get somebody that actually knows what they're doing (at work) to give it a look see. I'll update as soon as that happens. Incidentally the only panels you really need to remove for the install is the top console panel, the right windshield pillar panel and the right side dash cover (with the big hole in it). All just pull out with the exception of the 2 screws that hold in the visor clips. You will also have to squeeze the box part of your glove box to allow it to get past the stops and hang fully down. Removal of all these pieces will give you full access to the entire visor/rear view mirror harness. Install took me about an hour (going slow and meticulous not to scratch or damage anything). I actually plugged in the harness before I installed it and kinda figured it wasn't sending power to the visors. I also figured what the hell...might as well put it in anyway cuz it ain't gonna effect anything that I had prior to the install. I still have nonilluminating vanity mirrors and no homelink functionality. Hopefully we can get it handled this week.

Nice to know you got them installed, I was worried that it would be a problem getting power to them. Are you thinking of running a 12v power cable to the visors and then hard wiring it, I also wonder if there is a working ground connector in the wire harness, probably not if there is no power..

Thank you for the heads up! Is the part # you mentioned the same for coupes and convertibles?

There are two 12v sources (pos & ground wires) there close to the visor; one for the rear view mirror and one for the dome lights. Both are accessible under the dome light console. I tapped into the mirror for my RADAR detector power, and tapped into the dome light power for my Homelink power. The dome light power is constantly on, but the mirror power is switched with the ignition. I used male & female connectors for the wires for easy removal if necessary.

Thank you for the heads up! Is the part # you mentioned the same for coupes and convertibles?

Yes. The harness is the same for coupes and convertibles.

Here is part's list and pricing for everthing needed for the update.

Harness:

CR3Z17K745BA Electro mirror without camera display $26.39

CR3Z17K745CA Electro mirror with camera display $30.33

Visors for coupe:

BR3Z6304105DB Drivers $198.21

BR3Z6304104AB Passengers $68.38

Visors for convertible:

BR3Z7604105DA Drivers $198.21

BR3Z7604104AA Passengers $69.99

These are special prices quoted only here. Please mention when you call. (800)411-FORD. Ask for Dave K!!!

Harness:

Visors for coupe:

Visors for convertible:

These are special prices quoted only here. Please mention when you call. (800)411-FORD. Ask for Dave K!!!

There is a camera display in some of the cars rear view mirrors?? or am I missing something?

There is a camera display in some of the cars rear view mirrors?? or am I missing something?

[/quote

The other model Mustangs have a rear view camera option. But not the $60000 version Mustang.

Harness:

Visors for coupe:

Visors for convertible:

Is the passenger visor different in the 2012 compared to the 2010/11 MY?

Is the passenger visor different in the 2012 compared to the 2010/11 MY?

Yes. The right side has an illuminated vanity mirror that matches the left side visor. Also both have a slide feature that allows more adjustabilty if Mr. Sun isn't being cooperative. The 2012 mirrors in general have a higher quality look and feel as well.

Harness:

Visors for coupe:

Visors for convertible:

Hey Dave-

GREAT leg-work here buddy...

I will be calling you in the next week or so, will order same parts for my '10 Vert...

Let me know how you make out with tapping into a power source.

I'm down in the Freehold area alot, live in Westfield now, but grew up/lived in Marlboro from 1971-1996.

Hope to meet up with you soon!

GUS

Harness:

Visors for coupe:

Visors for convertible:

Quick question for you, are you sure the harness (CR3Z17K745BA Electro mirror without camera display $26.39) will work in a convertible? I went to order this part at my dealership and the part came up for a 2012 coupe. It mentioned coupe specifically without any mention of a convertible.

Quick question for you, are you sure the harness (CR3Z17K745BA Electro mirror without camera display $26.39) will work in a convertible? I went to order this part at my dealership and the part came up for a 2012 coupe. It mentioned coupe specifically without any mention of a convertible.

It is the same for coupes and convertibles. I verified with Ford before I ordered it. (I also verified the part # using a vin # from a 2012 convertible and looking at its build sheet.) The cataloging leaves a bit to be desired. They will be changing the listing to reflect this oversight on the next catalog update. Like I said in an earlier posting I received it and installed it. Physically it's a direct fit swap with the two extra leads going to the visors. The only l'il problem I experienced is the main harness (although has the correct plug for a direct swap plug in) unfortunately has no wires in that plug to send power to the visors. So some kind of 'rig' will have to take place to bring that power. Running a lead from the overhead console seems to be the obvious choice. At some point this week i will get Joe (The ultimate Ford tech) to guide me how to proceed...after he's done admonishing me for fucking with a $60,000 car to ad two stupid mirrors and a garage door opener.

Anybody yet looked at twelve to see if the visors appear interchangeable? Local dlr sez can put in "aftermarket" for $400.

(Somehow, I don't think so!)

Hi all, yes they are a direct fit "bolt on". Price is around $440 for both with tax. My Shelby is a 2011 convertible. I used a hot lead and ground from the harness connector at the map light console. The left hand visor needed about a 2 foot extension of the wiring harness to reach over to the center of the car. The right hand visor needed about a foot extension. I removed the visor connector on each side and spliced the wire extension to the existing visor wiring. I don't remember the color coding of the center map light harness but believe the ground wire was black with a yellow stripe and the constant 12 volt was at the left side of the connector ( heads up in that there is another wire in the center area of the harness that appears to be constant 12 volts but times out and loses voltage after a few minutes). If you have a volt meter you can easily identify the correct wire. I spliced into the connector half/wiring that was up in the windshield header area and not the connector that comes from the map light assembly. The garage door opener works great and another plus is the fact that the new visors extend about 3 inches to block sunlight from the side. Hope this helps and you will be really happy with the result.

revelx2,

Thanks for all of your efforts to document this interior mod. Will you have some pictures of the visor mounting, wiring harness pigtails and the "work around" for power at the main harness coupling?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an appointment with my dealership this week to install the visors. I have all the necessary harnesses or at least I think I do. Any luck getting power to the harness? If you had success could you give me an update on how to get power to the harness? Thank you.

IT WORKS! :happy feet: The dealership installed the 2012 visor today in my 2011 vert. I had ordered 2 different kinds of harnesses. According to the gospel of the dealership, I didn't need either one. The harness that plugs into the visor WITH POWER was already installed from the factory tucked way back by the rearview mirror & map lights. The technician did not see harness the first time he tried to install it a month ago; hence the reason I ordered the harnesses. I only installed the driver's visor, but the dealership did mention there was an available connection for the passenger visor with light. Hope this update can help anybody else interested in doing the same.

IT WORKS! :happy feet: The dealership installed the 2012 visor today in my 2011 vert. I had ordered 2 different kinds of harnesses. According to the gospel of the dealership, I didn't need either one. The harness that plugs into the visor WITH POWER was already installed from the factory tucked way back by the rearview mirror & map lights. The technician did not see harness the first time he tried to install it a month ago; hence the reason I ordered the harnesses. I only installed the driver's visor, but the dealership did mention there was an available connection for the passenger visor with light. Hope this update can help anybody else interested in doing the same.

Definitely wanting to do this myself...how much did it run you parts&labor through the dealer??

Definitely wanting to do this myself...how much did it run you parts&labor through the dealer??

Visors for coupe:

Visors for convertible:

2 hours of Labor

Archived