TEAM SHELBY FORUM

powder coating SS rims

has anyone powdercoated them and how does it look?

i like the 2011 black SS wheels, like to have something like that!!

thanks,

Kyle

Kyle,

Probably not cost effective as (I believe) the "proprietary" (that one's for you Phil, LOL) "Dura-Bright" finish will have to be stripped and then the powder coat applied. I know the black powder coated Alcoa's are being offered on the new SuperSnake's (2011?) but I don't know if they are available as a stand-alone part.

thanks,

Kyle

You mean like this??post-21354-0-53340100-1299728568_thumb.jpgpost-21354-0-55444100-1299728542_thumb.jpgpost-21354-0-54149300-1299728558_thumb.jpgpost-21354-0-83766600-1299728524_thumb.jpg Thanks,JW

yeh i like the black, it's something different. Don't get me wrong though the Chrome look is very sharp but, in my area there is a true vapor with black SS and 3 other shelby's running around with the SS wheels.

So that's why i was thinking about going with the black powdercoat.. a local guy said he will do all 4 for $200 is that a fair price?

Thanks,

Kyle

yeh i like the black, it's something different. Don't get me wrong though the Chrome look is very sharp but, in my area there is a true vapor with black SS and 3 other shelby's running around with the SS wheels.

So that's why i was thinking about going with the black powdercoat.. a local guy said he will do all 4 for $200 is that a fair price?

Thanks,

Kyle

That sounds like a really good deal. You can get the Black Alcoas for $600 each from cruisinconcepts.com or the Durabrights for $475 each. So $200 bucks for all 4 powdercoated is really good. It's an extra $125 per wheel to byt them already done. So who is the powdercoater?

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle, Hi!

That's about what I paid for mine. I pulled the SS wheels off & boxed 'em up. Ordered the 20" Alcoas & had rears widened to 11" by Weldcraft. Then coated here last Summer. That was right before Shelby offered the Black SS Wheels. They are not shiney black, but more of a semi-gloss. They'd look great on your car! Black is the new chrome! Haha...LOL! Thanks,JW

thanks, did mine up here in new york (long island) they do have to be stripped off the durabrite polished finish, the guys who did mine did a great job, i think most of the powdercoating shops buy there materials from not only one supplier but the color charts imo must be all the same (meaing the powder itself) it cost me $700 to be powdercoated, wheels unmounted, then mounted and speed balanced ,for my color gt 550 (grabber blue) the durabrite polished finish was to much bling for me the matt black i have now ,to me is perfect, the color in the sun is more of dark, dark ,dark grey (matt finish) the darker color would look great on your car also

Kyle

Thanks,

Kyle

Typical powder coating rate is $75/rim, so yeah that's a great deal.

JW on your 11 ss rims what tire do you run?

Thx mike

Mike, Tires are Nitto NT05R 315/35R-20 drag radials. Rear is a narrowed Currie Ford 9". There's no clearance issues with 'bump stop' bracket or shock boot. Thanks,JW

post-21354-0-94425700-1299935814_thumb.jpg

post-21354-0-94425700-1299935814_thumb.jpg

Archived