TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1968 Shelby

jhawk71

Our body shop recently brought in a fairly clean 1968 Shelby GT500. It is real but has stumped us with the motor. The motor comes up as a 1967 428 Block from a Mercury truck. Originally the car was a 390 car converted by Shelby. Is it possible to have a 1968 Shelby with a 1967 428 Mercury Block. One more thing the cars production date is January of 1968.

Our body shop recently brought in a fairly clean 1968 Shelby GT500. It is real but has stumped us with the motor. The motor comes up as a 1967 428 Block from a Mercury truck. Originally the car was a 390 car converted by Shelby. Is it possible to have a 1968 Shelby with a 1967 428 Mercury Block. One more thing the cars production date is January of 1968.

jhawk71,

I'm not an expert on vintage Shelby's but certainly the 428 block was converted into the 67 390 cars. There may have been shortages then, could be an engine swap, dealer replacement, etc. Your best bet for very knowledgable folks on the '68s is to post your question on the "SAAC" forums in the 1968 section. You should also check out a guy named Pete's '68 Shelby focused site named "Coralsnake".

Rich

Interesting question, it is known that a handful of cars were pushed thru with 390's, due to an interruption of production flow on the 428's. Considering that dealers were unaware of this substitution, back in the day, basically, anything was possible...

January build date puts it 3 months into production.

Go to www.thecoralsnake.com, and contact Pete Disher, he is about the most knowledgable guy on the planet in respect to the '68's, and I'm sure he can shed some light for you. Tracing the car back to the original owner would be helpful.

Do you know what the Shelby number (consecutive build number), find the data plate on the drivers side fender, and I can reference the Registry and see if there is any info on that car

jhawk71,

I'm not an expert on vintage Shelby's but certainly the 428 block was converted into the 67 390 cars. There may have been shortages then, could be an engine swap, dealer replacement, etc. Your best bet for very knowledgable folks on the '68s is to post your question on the "SAAC" forums in the 1968 section. You should also check out a guy named Pete's '68 Shelby focused site named "Coralsnake".

Rich

Yup, contact Pete indeed. He is one of THE EXPERTS on 68 Shelby's. He can give you all the answers you are looking for.

Here is the link to his website.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/

QSS

Archived