TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SCT Dyno Tune & 2.6 Pulley

jmungiel

Dear All,

OK, I have decided to go through with the SCT Dyno Tune and 2.6 pulley for my 2011 GT500 (w/ SVTPP) . I am having JDM Engineering in Freehold do this minor mod, which they claim will yield about 80-90 rwhp. They will, of course, provide a Dyno result of the before and after.

Most of the people I have talked to say not to worry about getting a new heat exchanger due to the fact that the 2011 is better than the 2010 (by 40% cooling capacity).My only concerns are:

1. It is already challenging to put the power to the wheels.....will this mod make it that much more challenging?

2. Do you guys think a heat exchanger is worth the $700 to have installed. I really don't want to go overboard with the money I am putting in this car....I dont' drag and often don't hammer it..

3. Will there be alot of "heat soak" in the summer with the change to a 2.6 pulley? Ford Racing told me today that they have not designed/marketed a "pulley and tune kit" for the 2011 GT500 as it would creeate too much heat.

4. Essentially, can I do the pulley and tune and not worry about not getting the heat exchanger given my driving habits (not rough on car), or is an absolute must?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas!

I'm in NJ too, and I have not dealt with JDM, so wont offer my own opinion. I just know from whats been told to me that they are a bit pricey but do quality work. I have heard great feedback on Big Daddy Performance in Lakewood.

That said, I'm putting in the Shelby heat exchanger this week, and I haven't even done a pulley yet. I will, and the added cooling if VERY MUCH NEEDED prior to or in conjunction with a pulley/tune. $700 is a small piece of insurance for a $20K motor... You will make SICK heat in the NJ summers with this car, no matter how hard you drive it. Its gonna run GREAT for the first 1/2 hour, then it will heat soak and pull timing, and sap your power.

Also - If you are not planning some suspension mods and wider tire/wheels, your extra power is a waste. You'll never be able to stick that to the ground...

Good Luck and have fun!

GUS

I'm in NJ too, and I have not dealt with JDM, so wont offer my own opinion. I just know from whats been told to me that they are a bit pricey but do quality work. I have heard great feedback on Big Daddy Performance in Lakewood.

That said, I'm putting in the Shelby heat exchanger this week, and I haven't even done a pulley yet. I will, and the added cooling if VERY MUCH NEEDED prior to or in conjunction with a pulley/tune. $700 is a small piece of insurance for a $20K motor... You will make SICK heat in the NJ summers with this car, no matter how hard you drive it. Its gonna run GREAT for the first 1/2 hour, then it will heat soak and pull timing, and sap your power.

Also - If you are not planning some suspension mods and wider tire/wheels, your extra power is a waste. You'll never be able to stick that to the ground...

Good Luck and have fun!

GUS

Thanks Gus.

Heat soak means......losing power? So, the car will get weak?

I guess I should invest the extra cash and get the heat exchanger

Btw...there will be a Shelby run on April 16. Let me know if u want more info and thanks again

The 2011 heat exchanger is 40% larger then the 07-10. My stock 2011 stayed cool all day at the track posting 117-118's even during hot lapping it 4 times all with the same 117-118mph traps. I still don't experience heat soak, pulled timing and slowing traps since I've been pullied.

Thanks Gus.

Heat soak means......losing power? So, the car will get weak?

I guess I should invest the extra cash and get the heat exchanger

Btw...there will be a Shelby run on April 16. Let me know if u want more info and thanks again

Yep, you'll see heat soak after 1/2 hour of driving, racing, whatever...

Take a look at this:

Shelby H/E

and this...

AFCO H/E

Also read up on Revan Racing,

Revan Racing

Van Collier is the owner, and has done EXTENSIVE testing and data reporting on these cars with better cooling.

Plain and simple, the H/E swap will prove to be the basis of your ability to do more power mods without worrying about damaging your motor.

Oh, and I'm already on the list for the April 16th meet... looking forward to meeting you!

I will be meeting the "crew" at the Cheesquake Rest Area just south of exit 123 on the GSP. Then we run down to exit 100 for meeting place #2.

Let me know where you're meeting up.

Best,

GUS

Yep, you'll see heat soak after 1/2 hour of driving, racing, whatever...

Take a look at this:

Shelby H/E

and this...

AFCO H/E

Also read up on Revan Racing,

Revan Racing

Van Collier is the owner, and has done EXTENSIVE testing and data reporting on these cars with better cooling.

Plain and simple, the H/E swap will prove to be the basis of your ability to do more power mods without worrying about damaging your motor.

Oh, and I'm already on the list for the April 16th meet... looking forward to meeting you!

I will be meeting the "crew" at the Cheesquake Rest Area just south of exit 123 on the GSP. Then we run down to exit 100 for meeting place #2.

Let me know where you're meeting up.

Good to hear. Look forward to meeting you. I will be traveling from Long Valley and will be meeting the first group of guys at the first stop....not sure where it exactly is on the parkway. I did a corvette run last year down to AC.....it was for toys for tots and a blast. This should be cool.....all those shelbys......btw....love your car color combo.....what is the final destination? My buddy told me some guys house for a BBQ..........I can't wait to get behind the wheel.....so tired of driving my Subaru........hope to hear from you.

Best,

GUS

Dear All,

OK, I have decided to go through with the SCT Dyno Tune and 2.6 pulley for my 2011 GT500 (w/ SVTPP) . I am having JDM Engineering in Freehold do this minor mod, which they claim will yield about 80-90 rwhp. They will, of course, provide a Dyno result of the before and after.

Most of the people I have talked to say not to worry about getting a new heat exchanger due to the fact that the 2011 is better than the 2010 (by 40% cooling capacity).My only concerns are:

1. It is already challenging to put the power to the wheels.....will this mod make it that much more challenging?

2. Do you guys think a heat exchanger is worth the $700 to have installed. I really don't want to go overboard with the money I am putting in this car....I dont' drag and often don't hammer it..

3. Will there be alot of "heat soak" in the summer with the change to a 2.6 pulley? Ford Racing told me today that they have not designed/marketed a "pulley and tune kit" for the 2011 GT500 as it would creeate too much heat.

4. Essentially, can I do the pulley and tune and not worry about not getting the heat exchanger given my driving habits (not rough on car), or is an absolute must?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas!

JDM is a stand up company and do great work.They took my 02 Lightning from Houston to Nj on a trailer.Everything they promised was true and accurate.Kinda wish i still had the Lightning,lol

Archived