TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Original owner of 5R532 passed away

Im new here on the forum. My name is Ed Ruth. I have sad news as my lifelong friend James Sypherd passed away at the age of 65 on feb.21,2011. Jim raced in SCCA B/P class from 1966-1970. he was the original owner of a 1965 GT350 R # 5R532 which he purchased from Shelby on Feb.15,1966. Jim was my Auto shop teacher at Girard College in Philadelphia,Pa. I remember working on the car in our classes. Jim campained the car for a few years with sucess. He sold it in 1971. Over the years Jim & I always stayed in touch. In jims later years he was a hydroplane Racing Champion,and owned a airport in Massey,MD On occasion the subject of that great car came up. Always great conversation. Anyone here remember Jim or 5R532? Please feel free to share. Thanks Edsypherd.bmp

sypherd.bmp

Im new here on the forum. My name is Ed Ruth. I have sad news as my lifelong friend James Sypherd passed away at the age of 65 on feb.21,2011. Jim raced in SCCA B/P class from 1966-1970. he was the original owner of a 1965 GT350 R # 5R532 which he purchased from Shelby on Feb.15,1966. Jim was my Auto shop teacher at Girard College in Philadelphia,Pa. I remember working on the car in our classes. Jim campained the car for a few years with sucess. He sold it in 1971. Over the years Jim & I always stayed in touch. In jims later years he was a hydroplane Racing Champion,and owned a airport in Massey,MD On occasion the subject of that great car came up. Always great conversation. Anyone here remember Jim or 5R532? Please feel free to share. Thanks Edsypherd.bmp

Wow, an original owner of a 65 Shelby.......truly amazing. I own a 68 and I am proud that I have had her for 7 years but your story of someone who had the passion and the enjoyment of their 65 car is a real inspiration.

Take care James and RIP, I admire you sir.

QSS

Ed,

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend and an original R-model owner. He must have had some very exciting times racing it back in the day. I've recently been reading up on the R models but I have not come across any info on 5r532 or James Sypherd that I can recall. I will look again, and reply back here if I find any details.

Do you have any pictures of his car (love to see some vintage ones, but any would be nice) or stories / history when he raced it?. That would be one nice way to share his memory with everyone here.

Rich

Ed,

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend and an original R-model owner. He must have had some very exciting times racing it back in the day. I've recently been reading up on the R models but I have not come across any info on 5r532 or James Sypherd that I can recall. I will look again, and reply back here if I find any details.

Do you have any pictures of his car (love to see some vintage ones, but any would be nice) or stories / history when he raced it?. That would be one nice way to share his memory with everyone here.

Rich

Jim and his 5R532 are listed in the Shelby registy and in The big Shelby book by Colin Comer [page 126] attached is a picture of Jim and 5R532 in action in 1967[?]

post-32297-0-53979200-1299793391_thumb.jpg

post-32297-0-53979200-1299793391_thumb.jpg

Archived