TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas guzzling tax

I was in a Ford dealer looking at a Ford Explorer and noticed it had the same est. fuel economy as our Shelby's. Can anybody explain why we had to pay the $1300.00 tax? How does the fleet fuel economy works. Do I smell a class action.

I was in a Ford dealer looking at a Ford Explorer and noticed it had the same est. fuel economy as our Shelby's. Can anybody explain why we had to pay the $1300.00 tax? How does the fleet fuel economy works. Do I smell a class action.

I believe light trucks and SUVs are either excluded from GGTax or have a different scale....for now.

I believe light trucks and SUVs are either excluded from GGTax or have a different scale....for now.

I also read where the tax is increasing from $1300 to $2100

I smell the end of an era...again

glad I got mine already

These cars are hogs on gas just like the large SUV and trucks are. I commute 100 miles a day to work and hundreds pass me each day, commuters with large trucks and SUV's with one person in them. Like the old saying goes, "If you want to play you have to pay". :hysterical:

I still claim this is wrong. I'm sticking to it. No one has been able to provide any proof that the GG tax is increasing on the GT500.

Dave,

It's worst than that. The GG tax has already gone up. About four hours ago, one of my Manager's just recieved the invoice for his just built, and about to be loaded onto a rail car, 2007 Chrysler 300M SRT8, and low and behold, right there on the faxed over dealer invoice, was a Gas Guzzler tax of $2,380.00!!! I swear that I saw it with my own eyes.

I'm sorry to say that it's quite real.

Dave,

It's worst than that. The GG tax has already gone up. About four hours ago, one of my Manager's just recieved the invoice for his just built, and about to be loaded onto a rail car, 2007 Chrysler 300M SRT8, and low and behold, right there on the faxed over dealer invoice, was a Gas Guzzler tax of $2,380.00!!! I swear that I saw it with my own eyes.

Not real sure what the GGT on a 2007 DCX product has to do with the 2008 GGT on a Shelby. We already know the Shelby has a current $1300 GGT. All this shows is that the 300M SRT8 is a far worse gas guzzler than a GT500 and yet has less performance. Other than prove yet again that DCX is behind the 8-ball, what was your point here? We were trying to determine if the 08GGT would be going up and if so, how much. We also know the composite fuel economy number for the GT500 is going down for 08 and that may effect its GGT unless there is some sort of loophole for 08 due to the new computation method for economy numbers.

Not real sure what the GGT on a 2007 DCX product has to do with the 2008 GGT on a Shelby. We already know the Shelby has a current $1300 GGT. All this shows is that the 300M SRT8 is a far worse gas guzzler than a GT500 and yet has less performance. Other than prove yet again that DCX is behind the 8-ball, what was your point here? We were trying to determine if the 08GGT would be going up and if so, how much. We also know the composite fuel economy number for the GT500 is going down for 08 and that may effect its GGT unless there is some sort of loophole for 08 due to the new computation method for economy numbers.

Well, Good Morning to you too, JC.

Jeez, sorry if I bent your rod, as that was not my intent. I was just posting what I had observed to be a excessively high GGT for my friend's 2007 DCX product as you call it. If you dont think that it's somesort of benchmark for what's to come, then please check here for proof:

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420...2.htm#calculate

BTW, the 2007 500's GGT is $1,200.00 (at least that's what I was bent over for back in July 06'), the 2007 SGT is $1,000.00 and based on the EPA calculation scale that I just directed you to, the GGT on the 2008 500's looks like it will be about...

$2380.00 F'in dollars, OKAY?

The answers to your questions are available, you just have to go look for them; I recommend Google.

Jeez.... I need to go put the flames out now cuz they are spreading quickly from my rear end area and surrounding the rest of my body.... :extinguish:

..not to add flames to your fire :hysterical2: but did you do the mileage figures adjustments? You can't directly use the numbers off of the window sticker.

John

John,

I agree, and yes, I did. But admittedly, my calculations might be off because I do not exactly know what the final MPG numbers for the 2008 model are. The GGT really could end up being somewhere between $2,200.00 and $2,380.00 dollars. But I do know for sure that the MOFO GGT has/is definately going up significantly from the current GGT rate.

E.

Dave,

Note that my comment was regarding a GT500. YOu are talking about a Chrysler. I still have no proof that the GT500 GG tax is increasing.

Jeez, sorry if I bent your rod, as that was not my intent. I was just posting what I had observed to be a excessively high GGT for my friend's 2007 DCX product as you call it. If you dont think that it's somesort of benchmark for what's to come, then please check here for proof:

BTW, the 2007 500's GGT is $1,200.00 (at least that's what I was bent over for back in July 06'), the 2007 SGT is $1,000.00 and based on the EPA calculation scale that I just directed you to, the GGT on the 2008 500's looks like it will be about...

The answers to your questions are available, you just have to go look for them; I recommend Google.

Jeez.... I need to go put the flames out now cuz they are spreading quickly from my rear end area and surrounding the rest of my body.... :extinguish:

If your GG tax was $1,200, you got a bargain. Mine was $1,300...perhaps CA is different?

If your GG tax was $1,200, you got a bargain. Mine was $1,300...perhaps CA is different?

Edit: as for the website you mention, the last updated date was November 2006 (look at bottom of page). Things may have changed since then. I still have no proof, and doubt we will until pricing is available in about May.

I was not trying to flame. Just to correct a few incorrect numbers and comparisons. Your GGT on the GT-500 you bought in 06 was $1300. It is a federal number and are all the same for an entire model year, they are not adjusted mid year. Go find your window sticker and look.

DCX is simply the ticker abbreviation for DamlierChrysler which I think is what you were talking about. Again, the GGT on an 07 DCX has no bearing on an 08 Ford. It does not indicate any sort of trend as it was calculated on the 07 MY scale. The GGT you quoted would have been the same for that model 6 months ago, it did not change during the 07 model year.

The step change is from 07 to 08. I agree with you that it likely is going up unless Ford pulls some tricky accounting and gets it in under some magical wire. They have whole teams of engineers working on just that issue I am sure.

Again, sorry if I came off as a flame. Not my intent. Was purely a technical discussion from my end, not an emotional or preferences one. The boards do not convey tone very well and neither does my writing style.

I was not trying to flame. Just to correct a few incorrect numbers and comparisons. Your GGT on the GT-500 you bought in 06 was $1300. It is a federal number and are all the same for an entire model year, they are not adjusted mid year. Go find your window sticker and look.

DCX is simply the ticker abbreviation for DamlierChrysler which I think is what you were talking about. Again, the GGT on an 07 DCX has no bearing on an 08 Ford. It does not indicate any sort of trend as it was calculated on the 07 MY scale. The GGT you quoted would have been the same for that model 6 months ago, it did not change during the 07 model year.

The step change is from 07 to 08. I agree with you that it likely is going up unless Ford pulls some tricky accounting and gets it in under some magical wire. They have whole teams of engineers working on just that issue I am sure.

Again, sorry if I came off as a flame. Not my intent. Was purely a technical discussion from my end, not an emotional or preferences one. The boards do not convey tone very well and neither does my writing style.

JC,

Thank you for the clarification of your intent.

All good, no issues here!

SoGT

..actually, I think you have to go back into the history of the GTT to guess/speculate what is going to happen here. If you read the procedures currently in place, there is an adjustment to the mileage numbers listed on the car. That is because the statute laid down the rules for establishing the GGT, and more or less "froze" the way it was charged. The EPA changed their process for figuring out the gas mileage numbers after the GTT statute was passed, thus the need for an adjustment. Since to my knowledge, there has been no review or update to the statute, the GGT rate stays the same for each calculated mileage, and the EPA will have to add yet another adjustment from the window sticker mileage rates to account for their latest change, which must be noted is an administrative change, not a statute mandated change. I'll bet a cold six pack of diet pepsi that there is no change for 08 because of this, but we should know for sure in a few months :beerchug:

If you go to part IV of this document link you will see that the process requires an adjustment for any test changes made since the base year.

Archived