TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Coil Covers

I was changing out my SVT coil covers for the SAI Super Snakes and man is there a lot of moisture under the coil cover on the passenger side. Both covers had gaskets like this. Are the gaskets supposed to have a gap?

If the gap pictured is at the rear of the coil cover, the wire harness that feeds the coils should have a rubber/seal area that fills/seals that void. If the seal on the harness was not seated in its slot, moisture can get under the cover.

R

Here are the old and new coil cover. BTW the grease pencil marks at the lower left front are the oirginal marks made during assembly of the GT500.

Looks good!!

How much clearance is there between your STB and the KB?

Thanks, R

That 3/4" plus the 1/2" lowering mounts will allow the Kenne Bell 3.6LC to fit under that STB.

R

Robert, because of the angle of the shot the clearance looks to be more like 5/8's IMO. I believe that STB was engineered to clear the 2.8 but I would think it to be very close for the 3.6. I considered the lowering mounts for clearance on my car but from what I understand the ride will suffer noticably (didn't need any more of that).

Just another perspective.

Robert, because of the angle of the shot the clearance looks to be more like 5/8's IMO. I believe that STB was engineered to clear the 2.8 but I would think it to be very close for the 3.6. I considered the lowering mounts for clearance on my car but from what I understand the ride will suffer noticably (didn't need any more of that).

Just another perspective.

5/8" is actually the height difference between the 2.8H and the 3.6LC according to Matt at KB, so either way, your STB would clear with 1/2" lowering mounts. I currently have 1/4" between my STB and my 2.8H and have never had any contact issues, even with only a 1/4".

But yes, I have heard that since the lowering mounts are poly, they will transfer engine vibration that is insulated by the OEM rubber mounts. How noticable the vibration would be? don't know........

R

5/8" is actually the height difference between the 2.8H and the 3.6LC according to Matt at KB, so either way, your STB would clear with 1/2" lowering mounts. I currently have 1/4" between my STB and my 2.8H and have never had any contact issues, even with only a 1/4".

But yes, I have heard that since the lowering mounts are poly, they will transfer engine vibration that is insulated by the OEM rubber mounts. How noticable the vibration would be? don't know........

R

Robert,

In another thread you asked about using the OE mounts on the Shelby/BMR K-member because the Shelby mounts are 1/2" lower. I took some pics to show you why that's not possible and it applies to this thread too so I'll just post 'em here.

One pic is the OEM K-member with the OEM mounts bolted to it.

The other (with red mounts) is the Shelby/BMR K-member and mounts.

It appears I *could* make a 1/2" tall aluminum spacer to fit between the Shelby mount top plate and the engine stand which would bring me back up to stock eng. height because the supplied bolt is long enough to accept another 1/2" of stack.

See attached photo's:

Phill Pollard

post-26522-0-80151900-1299611834_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-02470300-1299611867_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-36375400-1299611899_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-94079600-1299611922_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-59408800-1299611941_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-80151900-1299611834_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-02470300-1299611867_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-36375400-1299611899_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-94079600-1299611922_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-59408800-1299611941_thumb.jpg

Robert,

In another thread you asked about using the OE mounts on the Shelby/BMR K-member because the Shelby mounts are 1/2" lower. I took some pics to show you why that's not possible and it applies to this thread too so I'll just post 'em here.

One pic is the OEM K-member with the OEM mounts bolted to it.

The other (with red mounts) is the Shelby/BMR K-member and mounts.

It appears I *could* make a 1/2" tall aluminum spacer to fit between the Shelby mount top plate and the engine stand which would bring me back up to stock eng. height because the supplied bolt is long enough to accept another 1/2" of stack.

See attached photo's:

Phill Pollard

I did not know that it was the motor mounts only that lower the engine on this SA unit. I thought possibly the K-member itself was constructed differently to lower the engine and then in addition to the lower K-member, 1/2" lowering mounts "could" also be used for a possible total of 1" drop............. OR the 1/2 drop could be accomplished with the SA design K-member and the softer OEM mounts could be used for less vibration transmission which would be a total of 1/2" drop.

If the SA K-member is the same height as OEM and it is only the mounts that are lower, then the OEM K with 1/2" lowering mounts will do the same thing, when working through a 3.6LC and a possible STB install.

Thank you for the pictures and information.

R

I did not know that it was the motor mounts only that lower the engine on this SA unit. I thought possibly the K-member itself was constructed differently to lower the engine

The K-member IS different on a Shelby 1/2" engine drop and a BMR stock engine location K-member..

Go to the BMR site and pull up pics of each one. Pull up pics of the RED K-members because it's easier to see.

The K-member that doesn't drop the engine is a little different where the "platform" for the mount is located in relationship to the top tube.

Open both pics up and switch back and forth between the two. You'll see the K-member with a 1/2" drop has the "platfom" with a slight distance from it to the top tube (that mounts to the body). The one without a drop is level with the tube.

It's hard to explain, but you can see it if you look close.

Now having said that, I'm not sure why Shelby decided to have the unit with a 1/2" engine drop made EXCEPT that you can raise the engine with a spacer as I suggested earlier but you can NOT lower it unless you went without a top urethene piece (which would give you a solid mount).

Check out the pics and see if you can see what I'm trying to explain. I don't have a paint program that I could mark a photo with and point on the difference or I would.

Phill

Robert,

See attached photo's:

In the pics of the Shelby K-member (that I attached to my earlier post), there is a small rectangle piece welded in between the two downtubes and the top cross-tube. On a BMR with NO engine drop, that piece isn't there, the motor mount "platform" (the piece that the red mount sits on) is welded onto the k-member where the TOP weld is on that rectangle piece which raises the entire mounting "platform" up more (apparently, one-half inch!).

Make sense?

Phill

In the pics of the Shelby K-member (that I attached to my earlier post), there is a small rectangle piece welded in between the two downtubes and the top cross-tube. On a BMR with NO engine drop, that piece isn't there, the motor mount "platform" (the piece that the red mount sits on) is welded onto the k-member where the TOP weld is on that rectangle piece which raises the entire mounting "platform" up more (apparently, one-half inch!).

Make sense?

Phill

Yes that makes sense. There are two BMR K's, one that does drop the engine by 1/2" (not including motor mounts) and one that does not lower the engine. So my original question in the tread from the past was, could a K that lowers the engine by 1/2" be used with an OEM rubber (friendly) mount giving a total drop of 1/2"? AND in that same thought, could a lowering mount (poly) be used on this lowering K-member and give a total of 1" drop, 1/2" for the adjustable motor mount and 1/2" for the K member with a 1/2" lower motor mount platform?

I see that the structure of each mount is different, but I have also seen adjustable mounts that bolt into the factory K.

R

Archived