TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hertz Washing Practice

What was the Hertz rental washing method and frequency for the GTH? Once a week with floppy washers? (I dont know what to call them...). Thx, Casey

In all the literature I have seen from Hertz it was hand wash only and only when necessary but just because that is what is claimed does not make it the truth in all cases. Still alot of GT-H's that I have seen the paint is in pretty good shape and not beaten up like most rentals.

In all the literature I have seen from Hertz it was hand wash only and only when necessary but just because that is what is claimed does not make it the truth in all cases. Still alot of GT-H's that I have seen the paint is in pretty good shape and not beaten up like most rentals.

I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT HOW THEY WASHED THEM MINE SHOWS SOME SIGNS OF A MECHANICAL TYPE WASHING DEVICE, BUT WHAT DO I KNOW..FOR A RENTAL THE PAINT IS IN GREAT SHAPE....NICE TO C YOUR 38'S AGAIN LARRY ALWAYS A PLEASURE.....TWO TIMES OVER

I have to agree that while Hertz may have sent "special" instructions to the locations in the end those are only as good as the porter who was charged with getting the car ready for the next rental. So in the end who knows!

I will say that first the car I rented, 06059, was the ONLY rental car I ever washed and detailed!

:happy feet:

What was the Hertz rental washing method and frequency for the GTH? Once a week with floppy washers? (I dont know what to call them...). Thx, Casey

Casey,

The official Hertz policy was for the 2006 and 2007 GT-H to be hand washed and dried. Most of the larger Hertz locations had similar automatic car washes that used "directional rails" for the tires to align with the roller brushes. These "rails" were too high and would drag on the lowered Shelby suspension requiring the cars to be Hand Washed. I'm sure some of the Hertz minimum wagers may have run a GT-H through the auto car wash and maybe some renters also, but this would be the exception to the rule. In particular the 2006 Coupes were very carefully handled and often were cleaned / detailed and displayed inside or on customer walk ways to attract renters. By the time the 2007 convertibles came, many of the rental qualifications, cleaning practices, servicing practices etc for the GT-Hs had all gone out the window and the GT-H convertible was pretty much handled as a regular rental car, thus accounting for the higher mileage, more dings / dents and general abuse then the average 2006 Coupes. Hope this helps, Larry Miller, Shelby American / Team Shelby Registrar, Hertz GT-H.

Casey,

The official Hertz policy was for the 2006 and 2007 GT-H to be hand washed and dried. Most of the larger Hertz locations had similar automatic car washes that used "directional rails" for the tires to align with the roller brushes. These "rails" were too high and would drag on the lowered Shelby suspension requiring the cars to be Hand Washed. I'm sure some of the Hertz minimum wagers may have run a GT-H through the auto car wash and maybe some renters also, but this would be the exception to the rule. In particular the 2006 Coupes were very carefully handled and often were cleaned / detailed and displayed inside or on customer walk ways to attract renters. By the time the 2007 convertibles came, many of the rental qualifications, cleaning practices, servicing practices etc for the GT-Hs had all gone out the window and the GT-H convertible was pretty much handled as a regular rental car, thus accounting for the higher mileage, more dings / dents and general abuse then the average 2006 Coupes. Hope this helps, Larry Miller, Shelby American / Team Shelby Registrar, Hertz GT-H.

Thanks Larry, I did wonder if there was special handling. I rented an 07 in LA in 2008 - it was beautiful - I even put it in the Fabulous Fords show. I still have the check list.

Later, I got the opportunity to buy one at a good price. This one was from Hawaii. I love it.

Thanks for shedding light on this - I was curious. Casey

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Larry, I did wonder if there was special handling. I rented an 07 in LA in 2008 - it was beautiful - I even put it in the Fabulous Fords show. I still have the check list.

Later, I got the opportunity to buy one at a good price. This one was from Hawaii. I love it.

Casey,

I bought my GT-H in Hawaii as well. It had 28,000 miles. I've had it for just over a year. From what I've been told, there were only 3 rented in Hawaii. What Case12 mentioned about the 2007's is what happened with my car. Although I bought it in good condition, there were several things which indicated to me that Hertz (and likely several customers) did not treat it well. There were alot of scratches, dents and dings. Unfortunately a few still remain. The car was left out in the sun quite allot and as a result, the stripes are extremely faded. The back stripes have holes and scratches due to customers dragging their luggage on it. The tires had very little tread remaining.

But overall, I still have to say that I love my car and will continue to get it back to looking like new. I hope your car wasn't in as bad of condition as mine. Did you manage to get any documentation from Hertz in Hawaii? If so, I would appreciate any contact information you have.

Sean

You must have rented early!

I have pics (attached) I took of two 07's at LAX and they were REALLY beat! One had the lower driving light bent way way back into the engine bay. BOTH had rusted hood pins and lanyards, scratched paint, and scuffed stripes all over.

It was sad.

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

I have pics (attached) I took of two 07's at LAX and they were REALLY beat! One had the lower driving light bent way way back into the engine bay. BOTH had rusted hood pins and lanyards, scratched paint, and scuffed stripes all over.

It was sad.

Hopefully they have both found good homes now!!!!

:shift:

Casey,

I bought my GT-H in Hawaii as well. It had 28,000 miles. I've had it for just over a year. From what I've been told, there were only 3 rented in Hawaii. What Case12 mentioned about the 2007's is what happened with my car. Although I bought it in good condition, there were several things which indicated to me that Hertz (and likely several customers) did not treat it well. There were alot of scratches, dents and dings. Unfortunately a few still remain. The car was left out in the sun quite allot and as a result, the stripes are extremely faded. The back stripes have holes and scratches due to customers dragging their luggage on it. The tires had very little tread remaining.

But overall, I still have to say that I love my car and will continue to get it back to looking like new. I hope your car wasn't in as bad of condition as mine. Did you manage to get any documentation from Hertz in Hawaii? If so, I would appreciate any contact information you have.

Sean

According to Hertz records there were a total of 17 2007 GT-H convertibles assigned to the Hawaiian Islands, 2 to Oahu Hertz location, 2 to Kauai, 7 to Maui and 6 to Honolulu. Hope this helps, regards, Larry Miller Shelby American / Team Shelby Registrar for the Hertz GT-H.

109 came from Hawaii and was filthy! It only had 15K miles but the stripes were beat. Hertz gave us NO paperwork other than selling paperwork, salesman said it was from Maui, sent to the Honolulu lot to sell, not sold returned to service twice, they were thrilled to unload it when we bought it. I bought it for me and my wife claimed it, she loves it!

Doc Scott

According to Hertz records there were a total of 17 2007 GT-H convertibles assigned to the Hawaiian Islands, 2 to Oahu Hertz location, 2 to Kauai, 7 to Maui and 6 to Honolulu. Hope this helps, regards, Larry Miller Shelby American / Team Shelby Registrar for the Hertz GT-H.

Mine was from Kauai. I actually contacted the airport itself - called the Hertz lady at the counter and asked for a manager. After a few pleas and begging, I found a manager that would run off the records of the car. He understood how important these cars were (and only two of them at this location!). I paid the fed ex and got 80 pages of maintenance - including every oil change.

The car was in good shape (25k miles). It had been freshened up by a dealer. It is not perfect - but I drive it every day, so I dont worry about it so much. Driving it is so much fun!

Casey

It was sad.

I rented mine at John Wayne airport - drove all around DisneyLand - lots of looks. Nearly perfect car. I believe its number was 07GTH07 - low number. I would have to check the paperwork to confirm. It was in awesome shape - and THE reason I eventually bought one. Casey

Archived