TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas tank vent issue...please read owners

So as soon as I got back from the bash, I noticed my gas tank would shut the pump off like it was full everytime I tried to fill it. It would take me 20 minutes+ to get my tank most of the way full and it was also throwing a couple codes at me. P0456 and P0442 (I think)

So Jordan Ford has had my car for coming up on three weeks. Ford had them replace my fuel pump first, then the whole fuel tank. No luck.

Then, today, Ford happened to have a couple of their mustang engineers down at the dealership on an unrelated visit, but showed them the car and asked for their help. Well, they found it- it seems the exhaust got so hot on the track it melted the vent tube, so it will now be replaced and they told me the heatshielding was not enough to keep this from happening. Now if you are only doing regular street driving, this will never happen, but under track use, your exhaust gets really hot! For more questions on this, please contact SA, as they are aware of what happened, and will make sure this issue doesnt happen again. This may be an isolated incident, but I thought I would share what happened just in case it does come up. Its no big deal, once we found the real culprit, and Ford is covering it under warranty in my case, so be aware of the symptoms and cause.

So as soon as I got back from the bash, I noticed my gas tank would shut the pump off like it was full everytime I tried to fill it. It would take me 20 minutes+ to get my tank most of the way full and it was also throwing a couple codes at me. P0456 and P0442 (I think)

So Jordan Ford has had my car for coming up on three weeks. Ford had them replace my fuel pump first, then the whole fuel tank. No luck.

Then, today, Ford happened to have a couple of their mustang engineers down at the dealership on an unrelated visit, but showed them the car and asked for their help. Well, they found it- it seems the exhaust got so hot on the track it melted the vent tube, so it will now be replaced and they told me the heatshielding was not enough to keep this from happening. Now if you are only doing regular street driving, this will never happen, but under track use, your exhaust gets really hot! For more questions on this, please contact SA, as they are aware of what happened, and will make sure this issue doesnt happen again. This may be an isolated incident, but I thought I would share what happened just in case it does come up. Its no big deal, once we found the real culprit, and Ford is covering it under warranty in my case, so be aware of the symptoms and cause.

Is the vent tube that close to the exhaust? Any pictures?

Kinda scary of an issue. Matching up a hot exhaust with gasoline?

This is very interesting... My old 05 GT did this HORRIBLY! It SO pissed me off. All the sudden one day it would not fill without me clicking the damn handle 100 times in a row. Had to fill it really slowly at about 1/4 pump speed.

I wonder if that's what happened to mine. Drove it a lot on hot days and cruises/track events. Very interesting... and kinda scary.

Yeah, it is a Ford issue, but I know Shelby is looking to see what more they can do. I was surprised that when I got the call, I didnt hear- "well, Shelby changed the exhaust so it is their problem", but in fact what I got was, "even though the exhaust is from Shelby, the location of it is the same as a stock exhaust, so we will get you a new vent tube and get it fixed!"

Yeah, it is a Ford issue, but I know Shelby is looking to see what more they can do. I was surprised that when I got the call, I didnt hear- "well, Shelby changed the exhaust so it is their problem", but in fact what I got was, "even though the exhaust is from Shelby, the location of it is the same as a stock exhaust, so we will get you a new vent tube and get it fixed!"

Care to share what dealership? The honest ones need the recognition when they deserve it.

I have heard about this on GT500 where the exhaust was changed with larger diameter tubes..... but the strangest thing is that I just had the same fueling issue on my SGT! It has never been raced and has 6k on the clock! I was thinking of crawling under it this weekend to take a peek.... now I know I WILL!!!

Thanks Warren

Had this issue on my 06 GT. I read about a fix for it, but it didn't happen enough for me to take any action on. When it did happen though it was frustrating.

Can you remeber whhat the fix was?????

Warren

Thank you for all your insight with our cars and for being the real world test mule for all of us. I will have my dealer look at the issue before the pocono event. If you hear about SA's resolution to preventthe problem, please let us know.

Tony

Warren good news ...... and glad they found it !

The issue with 05-07's was corrected in 08. The cause in the older cars was the filler neck itself. It's completely unrelated to the vent tube issue in the 11's.

What was the issue with the filler neck. I not sure but was there something with the tank being a saddle tank & air was getting trapped ?

The issue with 05-07's was corrected in 08. The cause in the older cars was the filler neck itself. It's completely unrelated to the vent tube issue in the 11's.

Thanks. I was kinda worried about that after I read this thread a couple days ago. Good to know it's safe... but it's still annoying as hell. Wonder if there is a retrofit (or update... upgrade?) for them?

What was the issue with the filler neck. I not sure but was there something with the tank being a saddle tank & air was getting trapped ?

No it was actually just that the filler neck hose was too small and narrow. The 08's came with a wider hose, that's it.

However, in 2010 (I believe), they ran the evap tube up into the side of the filler neck hose, to further help with venting. I've intended on modifying my filler neck so that it was plumbed the same way as the new cars, ever since I found the change on Ford's drawings. I need to get rid of that 20+ lb. mess of evap crap under the wheel well first though!

Whats THAT all about?

It's EPA crap.

"The EPA requires EVAP systems on cars because gasoline fuel vapors contain a variety of different hydrocarbons (HC). The lighter elements in gasoline evaporate easily, especially in warm weather. These include aldehydes, aromatics, olefins, and higher paraffins. These substances react with air and sunlight (called a photochemical reaction) to form smog. Aldehydes areoften called instant smog because they can form smog without undergoing photochemical changes.

The bad thing about fuel vapors is that fuel evaporates any time there is fuel in the tank. That means if the fuel system is unsealed or open to the atmosphere, it can pollute 24 hours a day even if the vehicle is not being driven. Uncontrolled evaporative emissions like this can account for as much as 20 percent of the pollution produced by a motor vehicle.

The EVAP system totally eliminates fuel vapors as a source of air pollution by

sealing off the fuel system from the atmosphere. Vent lines from the fuel tank and carburetor bowl route vapors to the EVAP storage canister, where they are trapped and stored until the engine is started. When the engine is warm and the vehicle is going down the road, the PCM then opens a purge valve allowing the vapors to be siphoned from the storage canister into the intake manifold. The fuel vapors are hen burned in the engine.

Evaporative emission controls were first required on cars sold in California in 1970. EVAP has been used on all cars and light trucks since the early 1970s."

http://www.aa1car.com/library/evap_system.htm

Archived