TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Long tube headers.....ponder this !!

1 Alibi 2

Posted this same thread on another, " GT 500 " site, the oveall answers indicate headers aren't & don't give the hp gains you'd expect from an outlay of between $ 1400 - $ 2100. Of the people posting hp gains, they are on th modest side, 10 - 20 hp, or about half of the net gains " advertised " by mfgs.......................What do the Team Shelby owners running long tube headers have to add ?

On the phone with SVT on Monday, trying to get info on a set of FRPP headers, ( M-9430-CJ ), found out they don't sell them any more. The guy makes an interesting comment: You know the kit Ford sells for the 2011 GT 500, ( M-6066-MSVT29D ), 2.9 Whipple, etc..................it makes 750 hp.....without headers " " The 2011 GT 500 2 3/4" exhaust is that good. " ( 50 state emissions legal )

Got off the phone with him, checked the package Team Shelby markets to convert GT 500's to " Super Snakes " ( which uses a Kenne Bell SC ) & sells for about 30K..( base pkg )...makes 750 hp................& no headers !!!So, for those running long tube headers, what hp gains did you get ? At a cost between $ 1600 - $ 1900.....did you get the 38 - 40 - 60 hp advertised by the mfg's ??? ( SVT doesn't think so )

........................................................................Comments / feedback !!!

Long tubes don't do much to a stock car. They really shine when you up the boost by a good margin and/or open up the heads.

Most modified cars don't include long tubes from the big shops (like SA) because of emission laws. They're worth their weight in gold on a heavily modified motor.

Ponder this........ It sounds like you are eating him alive as you blow right on by the Camaro,Vette, Mopar or BMW . Best Mod I ever did and I dont give a rats arsenic if its onyl 28-30hp.

Ponder this........ It sounds like you are eating him alive as you blow right on by the Camaro,Vette, Mopar or BMW . Best Mod I ever did and I dont give a rats arsenic if its onyl 28-30hp.

Tell us how you really feel.... :hysterical2:

I don't have them, but I want them. :burnout:

Tell us how you really feel.... :hysterical2:

I don't have them, but I want them. :burnout:

Yea I agree with the "want" them. IMO it makes the GT500 sound like it has 540 + Ponies. When you get around to doing a SC or a pully, tune the real investment shines. I would invest in traction at the same time.

I agree that i bought them for the sound and expected "a little" hp gain from them. When i put the Kooks on my car i actually got 32hp and 30tq with a tune. so overall i was Very happy with the headers.

Kooks are actually a 'mid-length' header, but somehow they seem to outperform nearly every long tube available. They are beautiful pieces of engineering IMO. I've got a set myself and netted 40 hp to the wheels on my 3V.

Ponder your engine and how she feels.

Have you seen the Bud Light skinny jeans commercial?

Well, yes the stock exhaust system fits & works.

However, don't you feel better loosing up your belt after eating.

Well, so does your Shelby .... after eating up the competition ..... your engine will breath better with headers.

For me, adding long tubes were a way to decrease exhaust restriction and allow the engine to breath better. As we all know, decreasing exhaust restriction allows a supercharged engine to make the same or more power at a slightly lower boost level. On my Whipple 2.9 car, I initially made 649 rwhp with completely stock exhaust at 19 psi (but would briefly spike to 21 psi at upper rpms) on 93 octane. After adding Dynatech long tube headers, 3" catless x-pipe, 3" Magnaflow Magnapack exhaust, a smaller upper pulley (went from 3.25" to 3.00"), I made 752 rwhp with 93 octane and torco at 19 psi. So yes, long tube headers were definitely worth it to me.

For me, adding long tubes were a way to decrease exhaust restriction and allow the engine to breath better. As we all know, decreasing exhaust restriction allows a supercharged engine to make the same or more power at a slightly lower boost level. On my Whipple 2.9 car, I initially made 649 rwhp with completely stock exhaust at 19 psi (but would briefly spike to 21 psi at upper rpms) on 93 octane. After adding Dynatech long tube headers, 3" catless x-pipe, 3" Magnaflow Magnapack exhaust, a smaller upper pulley (went from 3.25" to 3.00"), I made 752 rwhp with 93 octane and torco at 19 psi. So yes, long tube headers were definitely worth it to me.

+1

Wow. 752 is impressive.

What have you done to your suspension?

Bigger rear tires?

Yea I agree with the "want" them. IMO it makes the GT500 sound like it has 540 + Ponies. When you get around to doing a SC or a pully, tune the real investment shines. I would invest in traction at the same time.

Traction is first on the list. I can't stick the HP I already have. :doh:

+1

Wow. 752 is impressive.

What have you done to your suspension?

Bigger rear tires?

Cobra jet springs, Tokico D-spec shocks and struts, UPR adjustable UCA and LCAs, CHE relocation brackets, BMR Extreme Anti-roll bar, removed front sway bar, BMR tubular k-member and a-arms, 28 x 10.5/15 Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks mounted on Bogart 15 x 10" wheels, 3.73 gears. I've gotten a best 60' time of 1.47 and a best 1/8 mile ET of 6.63 @108.9, but I'm still having a lot of traction issues. I've not made any 1/4 mile passes yet.

In regards to your upgrades:

Did you replace your heat exchanger ? ( 2010 MY )

Are you running a 170 degree thermostat ?

When you went to a smaller pulley, did you put higher flow injectors in ?

In regards to your upgrades:

Did you replace your heat exchanger ? ( 2010 MY )

Are you running a 170 degree thermostat ?

When you went to a smaller pulley, did you put higher flow injectors in ?

My fuel system is stock with the exception of 72 lb injectors and Kenne Bell Dual BAP.

I am running a 170 degree thermostat.

I'm using an Afco Dual Pass Dual Fan heat exchanger.

Traction is first on the list. I can't stick the HP I already have. :doh:

+1. I do not understand why we have to add more HP when we cant even fully put the stock HP on the ground. HP mods should be the last thing on the list for these cars. Lighter wheels, wider tires, better suspsension, and better brakes should be at the top of the list.

+1. I do not understand why we have to add more HP when we cant even fully put the stock HP on the ground. HP mods should be the last thing on the list for these cars. Lighter wheels, wider tires, better suspsension, and better brakes should be at the top of the list.

I've done all these things too. ;)

@ 650+ RWHP.

Consider you will most likely need:

1. bigger rear wheels

2. bigger tires

3. suspension upgrades

4. exhaust headers

5. Upgrade cooling

700+ RWHP

1. Fuel system upgrades

I have a Super Snake vert with the FRPP TVS SC with a smaller pulley & exhaust headers pushing approx 650+ RWHP and I am very pleased.

Here is a list of the added options after I had the Super Snake package.

Performance HP upgrades:

1. NGK plugs.

2. Port match SC & plenum.

3. Throttle body – FRPP CJ Twin bore 65mm polished - M-9926-CJ65

4. Billet fuel rails - FORE Precision Works – black anodized.

5. Justin's VMP *Big TB* High-Flow Inlet Elbow for 2.3 TVS SC.

6. Justin's VMP 2.65 pulley tune upgrade kit

7. Exhaust Dynatech headers. JetHot extreme coating. high flow cats. SS Borla mufflers.

8. Driveshaft Safety Loop - for - DYNOTECH one-piece aluminum drive shaft.

9. reischeperformance – 170* thermostat

10. Shelby Extreme Duty Heat Exchanger, Cooling Radiator & Reservoir Tanks

11. FRPP M-4033-G2 low profile diff girdle cover with 3.73 gears

My current suspension & rear setup:

1. billet Steeda LCA's

2. Steeda adj UCA

3. CHE LCA relocations brackets

4. H&R sway bars

5. FR3 springs

6. Tokico D-Specs

7. Shelby/Baer Big brake setup

8. 20X11.75 with Michelin PS2 335/30's

Next upgrade: Fays2 Watts Link

Good luck and keep us posted.

• 5 years later...

Funny! my very first performance mods to my 2013 662HP Shelby convertible were a Watts Link, LCA Relo Arms, and adjustable upper camber plate mounts. My next will be brake pads... though I really want LT headers for the sound. I agree, as was said before, that whatever LT Headers you choose, (3 majors for more longevity or something less expensive that doesnt last as long) provide an easier way for pressurized gas to leave the engine... IE: making the same power at lower boost levels, allowing for pulley swap etc. ... but, putting the power down and being safe with all that power ... are paramount to me.. I've lost control because too much power and not enough control of it.

Archived