TEAM SHELBY FORUM

100 Octane- Okay to fill 'er up?

sefuller

Curious GT500 owner in California (me) wants to run straight 100 octane. Is this okay... or will something go boom...

I live in No. California and there is a nearby gas station that 'pumps' 100 octane which has been formulated to meet Cal. emission standards. Normally the best we can get is 91 octane. In case you're curious it sells for $5.89 per gallon. Will she handle it? Please advise...

Thanks in advance,

Scott

quick edit: No mods yet are on car, she's stock...

It would be fine, but why? A stock GT500 is so de-tuned, that there is no benefit. If you were on the ragged edge of a tune with a lot of boost, it would be a good idea. You could mix it to raise the average of your octane if you needed to. On a stock car, the only benefit would be the smell.

It would be fine, but why? A stock GT500 is so de-tuned, that there is no benefit. If you were on the ragged edge of a tune with a lot of boost, it would be a good idea. You could mix it to raise the average of your octane if you needed to. On a stock car, the only benefit would be the smell.

BlueOval, thanks for the feedback. I will be running the car at the SAAC Spring Sprint at Thunderhill Park track in Willows, and am looking for a little extra ooomph that day..

BlueOval, thanks for the feedback. I will be running the car at the SAAC Spring Sprint at Thunderhill Park track in Willows, and am looking for a little extra ooomph that day..

You will get absolutely ZERO extra oopmph. Higher octane than the car was designed for will do you absolutely no good at all. It won't hurt the car, so go for it if you want to throw some money away.

Dave

You will get absolutely ZERO extra oopmph. Higher octane than the car was designed for will do you absolutely no good at all. It won't hurt the car, so go for it if you want to throw some money away.

Dave

What he said. Octane is used to keep the fuel/air mixture from igniting before the sparkplug says it's time. It doesn't add any energy, just keeps bad stuff from happening the mixture ignites too soon. Diesel fuel is low octane so it will ignite on its own under high compression.

Now if you had Tucker send you a tune for the 100 octane fuel.......

That is very true, if the engine/tune is DESIGNED for higher octane...you WILL see a benefit. On the other hand, if the tune is designed for 100 octane and you use 92...well.....let's just say you might want to carry a broom and dustpan around with you. :fan:

Archived