TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Transmission question

I'm the second owner of a beautiful 07 white SGT that's been modified with a whipple S/C and a RAM performance clutch (5K total miles, 2K post-mod). No vertical (or for that matter any) play in the shifter, no unusual noises whatsoever. I'm familiar with the TSB's on this particular transmission, but I had an unusual situation yesterday that I wanted to ask the experienced folks on here about.

Drove the car to work yesterday (about 17miles) and the air temp was around 50F (so definitely NOT cold). By the time that I went to park the driveline was obviously nice and warm, and I went to put the car in reverse and it just simply didn't want to go. Shifted in and out of the forward gears a few times to try and re-synch everything and then it went in okay.

On the way home, traffic was more stop and go, and temps were mid to low 70s F. By the time I was about 10 miles the car was giving me difficulty going into 1st or Rev (stopped to see if the earlier situation had returned). By the house(17ish miles now) she didn't want to easily go into any gear!

Now this morning (I'm not driving the car until I get this figured out) I checked to see if there were any issues, and it seemed to shift fine throughout all six gears (5+R).

My question or thought is this. Has anyone experienced anything like this where it seems that the trans doesn't want to find a gear as it gets warmer? I've read some thoughts about over/underserviced transmissions and the fluid boiling/frothing causing issues with the synchros, but I'm by no means a manual transmission expert.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....the weathers getting nicer and it's a shame to leave the Shelby in the garage!! :banghead::shift:

I'm the second owner of a beautiful 07 white SGT that's been modified with a whipple S/C and a RAM performance clutch (5K total miles, 2K post-mod). No vertical (or for that matter any) play in the shifter, no unusual noises whatsoever. I'm familiar with the TSB's on this particular transmission, but I had an unusual situation yesterday that I wanted to ask the experienced folks on here about.

Drove the car to work yesterday (about 17miles) and the air temp was around 50F (so definitely NOT cold). By the time that I went to park the driveline was obviously nice and warm, and I went to put the car in reverse and it just simply didn't want to go. Shifted in and out of the forward gears a few times to try and re-synch everything and then it went in okay.

On the way home, traffic was more stop and go, and temps were mid to low 70s F. By the time I was about 10 miles the car was giving me difficulty going into 1st or Rev (stopped to see if the earlier situation had returned). By the house(17ish miles now) she didn't want to easily go into any gear!

Now this morning (I'm not driving the car until I get this figured out) I checked to see if there were any issues, and it seemed to shift fine throughout all six gears (5+R).

My question or thought is this. Has anyone experienced anything like this where it seems that the trans doesn't want to find a gear as it gets warmer? I've read some thoughts about over/underserviced transmissions and the fluid boiling/frothing causing issues with the synchros, but I'm by no means a manual transmission expert.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....the weathers getting nicer and it's a shame to leave the Shelby in the garage!! :banghead::shift:

I have the reverse issue, which i need to look into to see if their is a TSB. I know there is a TSB on 2nd to 3rd for the sycros or something.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good, and there's very few things you can do with the transmission in the car - clutch slippage, check fluid, bleed the system, look for leaks, etc.

Find a copy of the service manual (I'm certain it was posted somewhere on this site) and run through the diagnosis tables - that should help narrow it down.

Edit: Here's where it was posted: Link

Good luck!

Sam

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good, and there's very few things you can do with the transmission in the car - clutch slippage, check fluid, bleed the system, look for leaks,

Find a copy of the service manual (I'm certain it was posted somewhere on this site) and run through the diagnosis tables - that should help narrow it down.

Edit: Here's where it was posted: Link

Good luck!

Sam

Thanks alot Sam, this should at least get me started in the right direction. I'm hopeful, but unfortunately not too optimistic!

So it randomly picks R and 1 to have trouble shifting into? The other gears shift fine at the same time?

Do you know which slave cylinder you've got installed (OEM or adjustable)? Which Ram clutch is it?

Reverse is the primary trouble-maker, but first is a close runner-up. The fact that by the time the driveline was nice and warm the other day and then gave me problems with every gear was the oddest part of this whole thing.

The slave cylinder is oem.

I'm gonnna have to try and get in touch with the previous owner about the clutch, all I know is it is a Ram performance clutch, I know there are alot of different ones, just hadn't come up in conversation with him yet, as I bought it through a third party. I was actually lucky to find the original owner through this forum.

Reverse is the primary trouble-maker, but first is a close runner-up. The fact that by the time the driveline was nice and warm the other day and then gave me problems with every gear was the oddest part of this whole thing.

The slave cylinder is oem.

I'm gonnna have to try and get in touch with the previous owner about the clutch, all I know is it is a Ram performance clutch, I know there are alot of different ones, just hadn't come up in conversation with him yet, as I bought it through a third party. I was actually lucky to find the original owner through this forum.

I have a stock slave cylinder, spec 2+ clutch and reverse is always tough to find, warm or cold.

Welcome...sweet car! Sounds like air in the system to me....for a good start...

I'm assuming that you're refering to air in the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder? I've got the stock master cylinder, and having looked through everything else I can do without getting the car up on a lift, I'm thinking that you might be on to something with the air in the system.

Any other suggestions, if this isn't the case?

I'm assuming that you're refering to air in the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder? I've got the stock master cylinder, and having looked through everything else I can do without getting the car up on a lift, I'm thinking that you might be on to something with the air in the system.

Any other suggestions, if this isn't the case?

Well, just air in the system - it's SUPPOSED to be self-bleeding, but that's not necessarily the case. Ford manual said remove the resevoir cap, put vacuum on the system for about a minute, then quickly release. Replace cap, then slowly pump the clutch about a dozen times, checking the feel/resistance. If it doesn't improve, rinse and repeat several times. I did this and it certainly got rid of the air! (really made the brake pedal feel hard as well, at least till start up).

Short of doing that, your kind of S.O.L., at least as far as transmission work goes. I mean, you could replace the master cylinder, but that's all that you can get to without pulling the transmission out.

Did somebody mention the synchros? I thought there was a TSB on those, but I may be mistaken.

Sam

Sounds like was never installed correctly..

• 1 month later...

Sounds like was never installed correctly..

Ohh how right you were!! Actually, it was installed correctly but apparently not torqued properly. After finally debating on how to handle the issue (had gone through all the shade tree mechanics tricks) took it to a transmission shop. I hated to do it, as I never have liked letting anyone work on something that I feel I can tackle myself....but without access to a lift and a tranny jack I didn't have too much choice..

Anyway, the issue was obvious the minute the transmission was out. ALL of the pressure plate bolts had were either loose or had actually backed out a thread or two!!

I count myself fortunate that even though the experience cost a few bucks, the results of not fixing the issue could have proved catastrophic! Considering that the install was originally done by a nationally renowned Mustang modifier (which I still hold in high regard) it just reminds me that even the best sometimes make mistakes..

Archived