TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Axle rust

Can't remember who, but another member of this forum posted about the rust he found on the axle of his new 350. Guess what? I found a lot too...on the axle and some of the hangers...all parts from the Ford assembly, nothing to do with what Shelby did. I am having the axle removed from the car and all related rusted parts, having them cleaned up and painted. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but in my opinion, it should not be as bad as it is on a car with less then 300 miles and that has never...as far as I know...been out in the rain. The work is being done by a professional. I am just upset that it has to be done! :doh::rant2:

Can't remember who, but another member of this forum posted about the rust he found on the axle of his new 350. Guess what? I found a lot too...on the axle and some of the hangers...all parts from the Ford assembly, nothing to do with what Shelby did. I am having the axle removed from the car and all related rusted parts, having them cleaned up and painted. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but in my opinion, it should not be as bad as it is on a car with less then 300 miles and that has never...as far as I know...been out in the rain. The work is being done by a professional. I am just upset that it has to be done! :doh::rant2:

It's a Ford thing. Do a search on axle rust or "rusty butt"

Happy reading

Yup its called " FORD rusty butt " a disease that Ford should cure but haven`t . I for one have cured mine & it turned out good as did several other members. I guess Ford doesn`t respond to complaints as there have been several since 07`.

Yup its called " FORD rusty butt " a disease that Ford should cure but haven`t . I for one have cured mine & it turned out good as did several other members. I guess Ford doesn`t respond to complaints as there have been several since 07`.

On a new 350. jeesh, that's terrible. Warranty issue, correct??

Just a GT500 here, but I had them throw in the rusty butt detail, silicone the rubber bushings and tint the windows as part of my original deal. I then paid the Dealer $175.00 to sound proof my wheel wells. Stinks to hear on a GT350....

Yeah, I had my axle painted...I picked it up from Vegas with a rusty butt, so clearly Ford didnt think that part of the car through very well....Im sure they could have painted those for under a hundred bucks and passed that on to us....I hate shortcutting to cut the price.:angry22:

Yeah, I had my axle painted...I picked it up from Vegas with a rusty butt, so clearly Ford didnt think that part of the car through very well....Im sure they could have painted those for under a hundred bucks and passed that on to us....I hate shortcutting to cut the price.:angry22:

I wouldn`t think it would cost that much for a little paint.

I am having the axle removed from the car and all related rusted parts, having them cleaned up and painted.

Seems a bit much IMO. I pulled my car up onto Rhinos- applied a rust inhibitor and painted my entire undercarriage. It took most of a weekend, but looks great. I don’t know whether you’ve crawled under there, but a closer look will reveal that there are more rusty parts than originally assessed. Will it hurt anything? No, but knowing about it bothered me… At least the axle is being painted on 11+, so Ford is taking a step in the right direction, but obviously more work is needed.

Archived