TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need some opinions on this tire size.

hotrodrock

I am running 305-35-20 Nitto drag radials on the rear. They are mounted on 20x10 rims (Nitto recommended width) and there are no clearance issues at all. Got good wear out of them but want to put something on with a little more tread. Looking at Nitto Invo's 315-35-20's. According to the Nitto site, the Invo's are .04 inches taller and .24 inches wider than the drag radials. Got out the ruler and .24 is not much of a width increase. But the recommended rim width is 10.5 inches as opposed to the 10 inch width I have. Any opinions as to whether that .24 width increase really needs that 1/2 inch increase in rim width.

I am running 305-35-20 Nitto drag radials on the rear. They are mounted on 20x10 rims (Nitto recommended width) and there are no clearance issues at all. Got good wear out of them but want to put something on with a little more tread. Looking at Nitto Invo's 315-35-20's. According to the Nitto site, the Invo's are .04 inches taller and .24 inches wider than the drag radials. Got out the ruler and .24 is not much of a width increase. But the recommended rim width is 10.5 inches as opposed to the 10 inch width I have. Any opinions as to whether that .24 width increase really needs that 1/2 inch increase in rim width.

I spent a lot of time looking at those Nitto tires size charts before I bought mine too. Were you running the NT555R's before? If so, the 305/35/20's you had look to have been on the bottom end of the size recommended for a 10" wheel. That said, going to the INVO's it looks like the recommended (average) size rim for the 315/35/20's is 11", with a bottom of 10.5" (like you said)... seems to me (my opinion only) that that would give you quite a bit of bulge. I prefer the 'straight up' sidewall... not bulging... not leaned in (stretched)....

If you want the same profile as before, I'd probably stick closer to a 295. Then again, those 315's keep you right within the same ride height too... the 295's are about .5" shorter. I guess it depends which dimension is more important to you... width (bulge) or height? While a 1/4" might not be much, I don't think it takes much for that bulging to show up once it's already at the brink of the rim size. :headscratch:

DISCLAIMER - I'm an uber-anal SOB that will ponder the tire size I want for months... :banghead:

I went with 265's, but I'm only on a 9" rim and the NT555's (which I swear by, btw). But that put me right on the bottom of the 1.5" range (according to Nitto) of the 265's and my sidewalls stand straight up. If you stick to the bottom on a 1.5" range, like the 295's, you'll probably be straight up too... though maybe a little shorter.

</ramblings>

Archived