TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rolled 40th

Wow Don, can't imagine someone wanting to drive their 40th (or any GT500 for that matter) right after the ice melted!! What a shame...glad no one was hurt like Dan already said....

Alex

Alex,

You are right on, but go figure. Another big problem, any 40th owners and SS owners that do any cool weather driving, (below 60 degrees) need to get rid of the Pirelli tires. It won't ruin the package. The Pirelli's are better than the Good Year's that came stock, but these are not cool weather tires. They are decent on the track, for a street tire, when they get hot, but dangerous as hell on the road when the temp drops.

I hope he talks the insurance company into rebuilding it. Unfortunately, with the replacement cost being what it is and the production run being over to where they can't just find a donor car and convert it, he may stand a chance. But then you have a seriously wrecked car. How to you ever get over than hurdle. It will be a family heirloom for sure.

Alex,

You are right on, but go figure. Another big problem, any 40th owners and SS owners that do any cool weather driving, (below 60 degrees) need to get rid of the Pirelli tires. It won't ruin the package. The Pirelli's are better than the Good Year's that came stock, but these are not cool weather tires. They are decent on the track, for a street tire, when they get hot, but dangerous as hell on the road when the temp drops.

I hope he talks the insurance company into rebuilding it. Unfortunately, with the replacement cost being what it is and the production run being over to where they can't just find a donor car and convert it, he may stand a chance. But then you have a seriously wrecked car. How to you ever get over than hurdle. It will be a family heirloom for sure.

+1

Living up in the PNW I see my fair share of cooler days and these cars can be a handful on a cool surface. They make big power on the cooler days as well. You have to respect the power and drive to the conditions. I got to really feel the difference with the Pirelli's in Vegas as the tires would warm up on the track.

+2 on that, I remember one crisp October morning, streets were cool and so were the tires (5 Miles from home). I was in the passing lane behind your typical non-driving Md resident, saw an opening on the right and attempted a "spirited" lane change. To make a long story short, I received a panoramic view of the local senery and everyone in the vicinity wearing undergarments that morning were duly obliged to be fitted for new said undergarments. Needless to say, I learned a valuable Shelby lesson that day. :whew:

Sooo, who has discovered a good all weather tire than can hold its own if caught in the rain? We get way too much in the summer. The pirellis are 100% better than stock but they still made me nervious when I got caught in the snow on the drive back from SAI after the conversion.

+2 on that, I remember one crisp October morning, streets were cool and so were the tires (5 Miles from home). I was in the passing lane behind your typical non-driving Md resident, saw an opening on the right and attempted a "spirited" lane change. To make a long story short, I received a panoramic view of the local senery and everyone in the vicinity wearing undergarments that morning were duly obliged to be fitted for new said undergarments. Needless to say, I learned a valuable Shelby lesson that day. :whew:

Holy :censored: that would sure wake you up! :blink:

I'm sure at the time it wasn't funny.....................but the way you put it is flipping hilarious :hysterical:

Holy :censored: that would sure wake you up! :blink:

Yeah, I was on my way to work at the time and didn't have a bit of trouble staying awake all day. As a matter of fact I don't think I slept for a week. You live, you learn (or not).

I'm sure at the time it wasn't funny.....................but the way you put it is flipping hilarious :hysterical:

You know how it goes at first you think, "I got this" and then you summarily utter those words so familiar to Shelby owners........HOLY SH*T!!! (at which time you may indeed). Then about a half mile down the road inexplicably your knees begin to shake as your body say's: Hey, you got your testosterone in my adrenaline! :lol2:

Sooo, who has discovered a good all weather tire than can hold its own if caught in the rain? We get way too much in the summer. The pirellis are 100% better than stock but they still made me nervous when I got caught in the snow on the drive back from SAI after the conversion.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. I know of a red car that has them.

Same thing happened to me on Thanksgiving day a couple of years ago. Car went sideways with about a 1/4 inch of throttle added in 4th gear at 40 mph. got it back straight and learned a lesson.

Same thing happened to me on Thanksgiving day a couple of years ago. Car went sideways with about a 1/4 inch of throttle added in 4th gear at 40 mph. got it back straight and learned a lesson.

These are definitely fair weather cars. Your probability of survival strictly depends on luck (and to a lesser degree common sense) and your ability to "learn your lesson".

But of course that's why we love 'em. :yup:

Yeah, I was on my way to work at the time and didn't have a bit of trouble staying awake all day. As a matter of fact I don't think I slept for a week. You live, you learn (or not).

You know how it goes at first you think, "I got this" and then you summarily utter those words so familiar to Shelby owners........HOLY SH*T!!! (at which time you may indeed). Then about a half mile down the road inexplicably your knees begin to shake as your body say's: Hey, you got your testosterone in my adrenaline! :lol2:

Your on a roll :hysterical::hysterical:

I'm lucky we get good driving weather most of the year........besides, Marji's estragyn gets in the way of my testosterone driving abilities......"slow down..... watch where your going...... your following to close...... your leaving to big of a gap" :rant2:

Your on a roll :hysterical::hysterical:

I'm lucky we get good driving weather most of the year........besides, Marji's estragyn gets in the way of my testosterone driving abilities......"slow down..... watch where your going...... your following to close...... your leaving to big of a gap" :rant2:

:hysterical: May I dare say, that with a SuperSnake, a 40th and a Cobra (among others) YOU certainly have no "Low T" issues. Sometimes (actualy most times) I don't know why we keep them wife things around, except for...........oh yeah, they help us finance our "T" projects.

On a side note, if I had a penny for every time she said "why don't you just stop and ask someone for directions" I could finance quite a stable. I just usually reply: "I'm sorry, that's Testicularly prohibitive" (don't bother looking that up, you won't find it). :P

thanks for the laffs Dan and SSSNAKE :-) U guys r just 2 funny :hysterical: Of course, the same goes for us Shelby Ladies and that testosterone stuff coming out from the bitch seat :shift:

b17drvr - been caught in a downpour on those tires yet?

thanks for the laffs Dan and SSSNAKE :-) U guys r just 2 funny :hysterical: Of course, the same goes for us Shelby Ladies and that testosterone stuff coming out from the bitch seat :shift:

The pirellis or the Michilin's?

:hysterical2:

"testosterone stuff coming out from the bitch seat"..................now that is too dang funny Sherri.

Shelby girlz rule!.................................."Bitch seat",... too funny!!! :hysterical2:

Archived