TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bad gas

Gased up my '11 350 'R' tune yesterday...with 89 octane gasoline. Not on purpose, mind you. Did not realize what I was doing untli 'she' was full. I was going to siphon as much as possible out, but the capless filler neck seems to have a locking divice on it which prohibits my getting a siphon tube into the tank. I was planning on keeping the speed and rpms down and as I used up quarter tanks worth of gas, replacing with 93 octane. Would I be better putting a fuel octane aditive into the tank? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, ciao and God bless...Jon :banghead::headscratch:

Gased up my '11 350 'R' tune yesterday...with 89 octane gasoline. Not on purpose, mind you. Did not realize what I was doing untli 'she' was full. I was going to siphon as much as possible out, but the capless filler neck seems to have a locking divice on it which prohibits my getting a siphon tube into the tank. I was planning on keeping the speed and rpms down and as I used up quarter tanks worth of gas, replacing with 93 octane. Would I be better putting a fuel octane aditive into the tank? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, ciao and God bless...Jon :banghead::headscratch:

Jon,

You might try to add an octane booster to your tank but to play it safe, I would call Roger at SA and get their expert advice on the best course of action to take.

You can add octane boost to your tank or you can disconnect the fuel line at the filter and let the fuel pump pump the gas out (that will take a while however).

I believe these cars have built in knock sensors so it should pull timing if you start to knock due to the lower octane.

Yeah, I have spoke with a few people and while the car does pull the timing in the event of bad gas or under rated octane, you should be okay.

That said- I have been warned by a couple guys at Ford Racing to NOT run racing fuel on the "R tune". They do not recommend it, and discouraged me personally from doing it at this time.

Archived