TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sad day

Difficult economic times, the shop is slow, no one spending money on restorations or paint work. Our insurance changed this year and that alone is equivalent to a 6K pay cut. Do to some minor persistent family health issues we are guaranteed to hit the Max out of pocket . I realize things could be worse. There are people with far bigger problems than what I have. But sometimes we must make tough decisions. My GT500 was a DD with a 30 mile commute to work so you know that is not very economic. By trading it I will save around $3000 annually. I also quit smoking so that will save around $2000 annually as well not to mention the health benefits. Wouldn't you know it, it had almost a full tank and new tires! Go figure.

Phil gave me a terrific deal on the new car and was surprisingly more than generous on the trade value of the 500. Maybe he had a solid buyer. I hope so.

I will miss the 500 as it was a great car. It had superb maintenance and was a fun car to own. This was not an easy decision. I remember how hard they were to get and how much I wanted it. And who can ever forget there first drive home. Those were exciting times on the forums. I really enjoyed that.

I feel like you do when you have to take a pet to the vet and put them down.

When times get tough we must compromise. But I am still a gear head with an obsession for a nice driving car so I think I picked a package that I think will support improvements very well and provide a pleasant driving experience and also be somewhat economic.

Its a Grabber blue 2011 Mustang V6 premium with the performance package and mustang club of America package. I also added a few other options like the comfort group. Susan will probably hate the color but no doubt appreciate the power passenger seat.

I will keep the Watts link, upper and lower control arms and springs, hood hydro's as It looks like all this will fit. In addition, I will be painting the white stripes on it ASAP and installing the 3M clear guard, Shelby GT500 rear deck lid spoiler and lower diffuser and side scoops.

Next week I will order the Pro-Charger kit as it is ready to ship now. The number they are advertising is 475. I am guessing that it could put down 410 to 430 at the wheels. Once I install it Justin and I will know for sure. I will let you know how it goes. Take care Scott.

post-3388-0-87785200-1298082487_thumb.jpg

post-3388-0-87785200-1298082487_thumb.jpg

Difficult economic times, the shop is slow, no one spending money on restorations or paint work. Our insurance changed this year and that alone is equivalent to a 6K pay cut. Do to some minor persistent family health issues we are guaranteed to hit the Max out of pocket . I realize things could be worse. There are people with far bigger problems than what I have. But sometimes we must make tough decisions. My GT500 was a DD with a 30 mile commute to work so you know that is not very economic. By trading it I will save around $3000 annually. I also quit smoking so that will save around $2000 annually as well not to mention the health benefits. Wouldn't you know it, it had almost a full tank and new tires! Go figure.

Phil gave me a terrific deal on the new car and was surprisingly more than generous on the trade value of the 500. Maybe he had a solid buyer. I hope so.

I will miss the 500 as it was a great car. It had superb maintenance and was a fun car to own. This was not an easy decision. I remember how hard they were to get and how much I wanted it. And who can ever forget there first drive home. Those were exciting times on the forums. I really enjoyed that.

When times get tough we must compromise. But I am still a gear head with an obsession for a nice driving car so I think I picked a package that I think will support improvements very well and provide a pleasant driving experience and also be somewhat economic.

Its a Grabber blue 2011 Mustang V6 premium with the performance package and mustang club of America package. I also added a few other options like the comfort group. Susan will probably hate the color but no doubt appreciate the power passenger seat.

I will keep the Watts link, upper and lower control arms and springs, hood hydro's as It looks like all this will fit. In addition, I will be painting the white stripes on it ASAP and installing the 3M clear guard, Shelby GT500 rear deck lid spoiler and lower diffuser and side scoops.

Next week I will order the Pro-Charger kit as it is ready to ship now. The number they are advertising is 475. I am guessing that it could put down 410 to 430 at the wheels. Once I install it Justin and I will know for sure. I will let you know how it goes. Take care Scott.

Sorry to hear your problems with the down turn in the economy. Sounds like you're working it and good luck. I test drove several of the '11 V-6's and was blown away by the performance, handling, ride, and especially the window sticker MPG averages. Sounds like you're going to have one cool daily driver again. Keep us posted on the results and pictures. And again, good luck.

Your new ride is a looker indeed. I like it allot. Your gas savings should be something to jump up and down about with this car. I hope things turn around for you.

A big congrats on giving up the butt weezes. :salute:

I Just read about a big local hospital group that will no longer hire workers that smoke. They are screening them for the cigs and if it's in your system.....no way they will hire them. They also said that the smokers cost them $4000.00 each (average) in lost productivity due to health issues and many long smoke breaks. I see a trend here.

Sorry for your troubles but you have the right attitude. That's worth a lot. Love the Grabber Blue. :drool:

I'm a Shelby-head first but a Mustang-head always. At least you're staying in the fold and have some great plans. :salute:

well, to each his own. But I really have a hard time with this logic. You take a value hit on the GT500. Buy a new car, and take a hit on that as well. Then spend money for mods on new car. All to save a few bucks a week in fuel on 60 mile commute? My father was in the car industry for 40 years, he told me something when I was a kid that still is in my head today, "The cheapest car you can own, is the one you already have."

Much luck with the new stang.

well, to each his own. But I really have a hard time with this logic. You take a value hit on the GT500. Buy a new car, and take a hit on that as well. Then spend money for mods on new car. All to save a few bucks a week in fuel on 60 mile commute? My father was in the car industry for 40 years, he told me something when I was a kid that still is in my head today, "The cheapest car you can own, is the one you already have."

+1,,,,,,,,,,,,, I thought the exact same thing. Tuff times usually means to unload, buy an economy (probably even used) car and not spend money on mods. Good luck........I think ? :redcard:

+1 On that

Hmmmm. I'm happy for ya. It does seem like maybe you just wanted a new car and are justifying it? Either way, Grabber Blue Mustangs are near and dear to my heart! And very pleasing to the eye as well.

Yes you are right, I knew I was going to catch a little bit of stress. I know there are better options out there. We are not in total dire straights but needed to make some adjustments. I know I took a hit on this but I feel that costs over the next several years will still be considerably less than I am paying now.

A couple things that concerned me about the 500 is the huge cost of the engine should there be a catastrophic failure. An after market warranty would cover it for a while but I got the impression no one wanted to write it past 75,000. Also some have done the clutch TSB more than once and still ended up with an expensive aftermarket clutch.

Doing what ya gotta do.

Congrats on the new stang........but even bigger congrats on no more smoking. :salute:

+1000. Hell, just quittin the stogies, you coulda maybe kept the 500!!! :happy feet:

Aren't they like 12 bucks a pack now?? I never smoked, so I don't really know.

Yes you are right, I knew I was going to catch a little bit of stress. I know there are better options out there. We are not in total dire straights but needed to make some adjustments. I know I took a hit on this but I feel that costs over the next several years will still be considerably less than I am paying now.

A couple things that concerned me about the 500 is the huge cost of the engine should there be a catastrophic failure. An after market warranty would cover it for a while but I got the impression no one wanted to write it past 75,000. Also some have done the clutch TSB more than once and still ended up with an expensive aftermarket clutch.

I hear ya...and that new stang with blower will be awsome! Enjoy.

scott

so sorry to hear this. I know this day was coming from our past conversations .... never easy is it.

If there is anything I can ever do to help you .... let me know .. you got a friend here

Best of luck to you and I hope things turn around in the future!

Sorry you had to give up the 500 but that is an awesome color and love the new body style. If you go to Bangastang.com and you will see a body kit for your car to me its incredible it makes that mustang look mean as hell and different from the pack.

scott

so sorry to hear this. I know this day was coming from our past conversations .... never easy is it.

If there is anything I can ever do to help you .... let me know .. you got a friend here

That - is one bitchin' Mustang, bro! :rockon:

Edit - just one question: Why not go for the 5.0 (no blower needed) and keep the engine warranty??

Thanks Don I appreciate that, hope to still see you all at the show this year.

Ruf I seriously considered the GT as I think the new 5.0 is a terrific package. The insurance is cheaper and fuel milage a little better. Over time as this is a DD with a 30 mile commute that will add up.

I gotta tell ya last night was tough. I finished removing the Watts link, control arms,springs, short throw shifter and put the car back to stock with the exception of the CAI Pully and tune and gears. It was a little dirty so I had to clean it also. Then I sat down and had a couple beers before I went in side. I hope I don't regret this.

Thanks Don I appreciate that, hope to still see you all at the show this year.

Ruf I seriously considered the GT as I think the new 5.0 is a terrific package. The insurance is cheaper and fuel milage a little better. Over time as this is a DD with a 30 mile commute that will add up.

I gotta tell ya last night was tough. I finished removing the Watts link, control arms,springs, short throw shifter and put the car back to stock with the exception of the CAI Pully and tune and gears. It was a little dirty so I had to clean it also. Then I sat down and had a couple beers before I went in side. I hope I don't regret this.

You still have the 500?

Keep it.

Sorry, I have read, and re-read, and RE-RE-READ, and I am just not getting the math here.

Sure there "may be" some immediate incremental savings on things like gas, but you've eaten those away with the mods right off the bat so that's a zero-sum. Yes, there will be some insurance savings, but you've eaten those away with the value loss on the 500, and the immediate loss of value on the V6 the minute you drive off the lot.

Do you have a loan? If so you're back to that part of the schedule where you're paying mostly interest and lost the interest you paid on the 500. Lastly you pointed to an engine/warranty issue yet the GT500 can be extended and supported by Ford, where your modded-V6 for sure will not be. So that doesn't follow either.

Am I out to lunch here?

Hey, I completely support you doing what you need to do, the math just isn't working for me. The fact you can buy a new V6 and do all this modding means you are right about one thing! You are A LOT better off than many many people!

Good luck!

Archived