TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT-R

sgt1020

I have to respectfully disagree here. The Shelby GT is a performance car built for the street. As much as I love them, they're not race cars; not from the dealer anyway. I don't believe Paul Brown called it a race car either.

I will always hold on to the raw and brutal nature of the original GT350R. This car comes closer with it's performance modifications.

whiteandbluefr500c.jpg

To what you are saying I agree, but as in the article, comparing the Shelby GT as the modern version of the original GT350 I am saying that with what they did to the car in the article, it indeed is in a sense a spiritual successor to the original GT350-R. (Shelby did basically the same to the motor in the old GT350 to turn it into the GT350-R as they did to the Shelby GT) In a "Literal" sense I suppose it's not the modern version of the GT350-R, but figuratively speaking yes.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, lol. We'll leave it at that. :) Yeah, I liked the engine mods; nice to find a high power NA 4.6L. Regardless, it's probably a nice car to drive. It's just a pet peeve of mine, when people start throwing around name designations that aren't right. Once, I saw a 2003 Mustang with Skyline GT-R badges. :glare:

On a final note, I really REALLY R E A L LY wished Shelby had done a R package, like the SC package, years ago. I know the Titus edition was talked about for a while, but never happened. :rockon: Oh well, that's life.

Alright, lol. We'll leave it at that. :) Yeah, I liked the engine mods; nice to find a high power NA 4.6L. Regardless, it's probably a nice car to drive. It's just a pet peeve of mine, when people start throwing around name designations that aren't right. Once, I saw a 2003 Mustang with Skyline GT-R badges. :glare:

On a final note, I really REALLY R E A L LY wished Shelby had done a R package, like the SC package, years ago. I know the Titus edition was talked about for a while, but never happened. :rockon: Oh well, that's life.

SAME! They should have offered the SC package along with the R package for the SGT! That would have been SWEEEEET!!!!!! :yup:

SAME! They should have offered the SC package along with the R package for the SGT! That would have been SWEEEEET!!!!!! :yup:

I second that emotion. For those of us that would love to have the extra HP that came with the GT500's without the dealer Markup.

I'm not sure what that markup was around the country but here in the Bay Area it was either 25 or 30K depending on the dealership.

I could have almost bought 2 SGT's for the price of a GT500!

CC

• 3 weeks later...

Shelby for one would not consider making a "sticker or emblem" when the car is not 100% produced for monetary gain. That is why they saved the term GT350, so they could make a lot of money. So for them to waste time and money on making a "sticker or emblem" for a SGT that could hurt possible future sales of a new GT350-R..............that won't happen. Mr. Shelby, even though not known as a business strong man, has smart marketing people who take those legend cars and make millions of dollars with them not just a few hundred dollars or a few thousand dollars. They are probably considering a GT-R model right now, but it is a GT350-R not a Shelby GT-R. So developing a GT-R "sticker or emblem" would not even be on SA's radar as it would ruin the possibility of developing "another" GT350-R and then selling them for $120K a pop! It is all about capitalism. But we do love our Shelby GT's though don't we, yes we do. I have not even considered selling mine, just upgrading the heck out of it, keeping the pedigree and making it a strong street car with heritage. :D

Shelby for one would not consider making a "sticker or emblem" when the car is not 100% produced for monetary gain. That is why they saved the term GT350, so they could make a lot of money. So for them to waste time and money on making a "sticker or emblem" for a SGT that could hurt possible future sales of a new GT350-R..............that won't happen. Mr. Shelby, even though not known as a business strong man, has smart marketing people who take those legend cars and make millions of dollars with them not just a few hundred dollars or a few thousand dollars. They are probably considering a GT-R model right now, but it is a GT350-R not a Shelby GT-R. So developing a GT-R "sticker or emblem" would not even be on SA's radar as it would ruin the possibility of developing "another" GT350-R and then selling them for $120K a pop! It is all about capitalism. But we do love our Shelby GT's though don't we, yes we do. I have not even considered selling mine, just upgrading the heck out of it, keeping the pedigree and making it a strong street car with heritage. :D

Agreed 100%. Although I would love an official SGT-R *something*, if SA can make whatever money

off the "-R" branding more power to them. And I better think that way since I volunteered to help them

at the NYC Auto Show. That is why I think a Team Shelby Racing design would work. First off it is more

inclusive (for more volume/sales), and it doesn't take away from any future "-R" branding.

-Tom

I love the TSR theme (Team Shelby Racing) that is a good thought, very good. I also want to add that your rendition of the emblem is nice and professional and I like it but it will remain a great dream until they make an actual Shelby GT350-R again. :) Those of us who loved them are justified, the car was a monster and very few were made. I have personally seen one, back in 1980, and they guy who had it then knew he had something extremely special and of very high monetary value at that time. I wonder what that car is worth today? I suspect that a real GT350-R will again grace the Shelby corral one day and I would love to drive one when it does come available, I doubt I could ever afford a real one.

I love the TSR theme (Team Shelby Racing) that is a good thought, very good. I also want to add that your rendition of the emblem is nice and prtofessional and I like it but it will remain a great dream until they make an actual Shelby GT350-R again. :) Those of us who loved them are justified, the car was a monster and very few were made. I have personally seen one back in 1980 and they guy who had it then knew he had something extremely special and of very high monetary value at that time, I wonder what that car is worth today? I suspect that a real GT350-R wil again grace the Shelby corral one day and I would love to drive when when it is here, I doubt I could ever afford a real one.

Thanks... my SGT-R rendition was an exercise to see if it could work using Photoshop on one

of the few days I had too much time on my hands. Now it's just my personal dream. Haven't had

the chance to see/hear an original in anger but I've gotta get to a Vintage Race one of these days.

Heck, I would love to see/hear one of the current GT350s prepped to race in American Iron (NA)

or AI Extreme (Blown).

As for TSR, it would be a great way to promote our cars are more than just lookers.

-Tom

If you think back to when the 07' SGT came out, it was exactly the same as 1965 all over again. Shelby got his hands on these car and made a few changes that will make these more collectable than the Shelby badged GT 500. I am old enough to remember when my uncle bought the brand new white 65' fastback that I now own , He went to the dealer and wanted the new '65 Shelby GT 350. It was a $1,500.00 adder, and when he asked what you got, he said "thats it, no way is it worth that". Then said for $500.00 he could do the same thing himself even better, so he bought a base white San Jose fastback and Sheblyized it himself in 1965. I still have all the vintage aftermarket parts on this car today ( Cal Custom and mag wheels) . This is still going on today with the new cars.

• 4 years later...

Interesting read - first time I've seen it.

Brandon - do you still feel the same about 07SGT1020 now as you did back in 2011 ? :cool:

A true R model is meant for the track - keep 1020 and make it a true R model track car !

• 1 month later...

Jim,I'm not positive, but I don't think .PDF files are an "approved" format for posting :headscratch:But as far as "bolt-on" parts are concerned, except for the early 1965 GT350's + R-Models, the "original" street cars were nothing more than Hi-Po Fastbacks with a bunch of "Shelby" parts added by SA...Why do you think it is soooooo easy for them to be cloned? Except for the CSM & matching VIN, just take a look thru the latest Tony Branda Catalog...attachicon.gifMy First Car.jpg1988 @ My first car = 289 2V w/Auto... Ended up = 289 4V w/Toploader... And YES, I was asked many times if it was an original SHELBY happy%20feet.gifAnd I am by nooooo means dissing on any "original" GT350 :redcard:Just trying to point out that what was done back in 1965 ~ 1967 was pretty much the same as 2006 ~ 2008...Too bad the GT350 moniker wasn't used from the beginning of the 40th Anniv HERTZ cars :finger:Oh well:rant2:

It's funny because correct me if I'm wrong. Now a days it's more difficult to clone a SGT due to some of the aftermarket stuff not being available except through Shelby American. And some of it can only be purchased by registered Shelby owners. Correct me if I'm mistaken

Jim,I'm not positive, but I don't think .PDF files are an "approved" format for posting :headscratch:But as far as "bolt-on" parts are concerned, except for the early 1965 GT350's + R-Models, the "original" street cars were nothing more than Hi-Po Fastbacks with a bunch of "Shelby" parts added by SA...Why do you think it is soooooo easy for them to be cloned? Except for the CSM & matching VIN, just take a look thru the latest Tony Branda Catalog...attachicon.gifMy First Car.jpg1988 @ My first car = 289 2V w/Auto... Ended up = 289 4V w/Toploader... And YES, I was asked many times if it was an original SHELBY happy%20feet.gifAnd I am by nooooo means dissing on any "original" GT350 :redcard:Just trying to point out that what was done back in 1965 ~ 1967 was pretty much the same as 2006 ~ 2008...Too bad the GT350 moniker wasn't used from the beginning of the 40th Anniv HERTZ cars :finger:Oh well:rant2:

It's funny because correct me if I'm wrong. Now a days it's more difficult to clone a SGT due to some of the aftermarket stuff not being available except through Shelby American. And some of it can only be purchased by registered Shelby owners. Correct me if I'm mistaken

This is a tad askew from the op, but pertains to the discussion I think?

I have an '07 500 white/blue stripe coupe, (original color scheme)...ordered it that way for that very purpose, in fact. However, am not too big to admit that our beloved 500's are not really 'true' , 'real' Shelbys. Simply put, the partnership with FORD to build an assembly line SHELBY was the marketing genius to get the name back into the masses to get the Vegas built 'true' SHELBY graced cars 'on the map' again!

Guess what? It friggin' worked! The GT500 is a straightline rocketship that looks dynamite, and to help make it appeal to us better, the owners of them, SAI decided to let our cars have the dashplaque signed with a Sharpie, instead of the stamped sig. that exists on the SGT's. I think it a fair trade-off for not really being 'touched' by the hands of an SAI technician! In the end...all of the current S197 offerings have a little something for everyone. I may not have explained my feelings correctly here, and this is not meant to ruffle any feathers, although I hope you guys understand my intent? The GT500 although not touched and 'graced' by any hands-on mods of a SHELBY employee, had an enormous input in design and technical upgrades from Carroll, and frankly "Hit The Mark"...dead on! It left plenty of room for the SGT, the GT-H, the California Special, the Bullitt, and now the GT350. All heritage re-do's with a little something different for everyone!

tongue.gif

Think about it...Look at all of these cars. They are all based on the same car, and yet offer so many different looks, feel, and horses! Then throw in the Roush's, Saleens, and the smaller more nichey builders, like FOOSE, and RONAELE, and....I know I'm missing a bunch. But, you get the jist.....something for everyone!! No Camaro, Challenger, or any other car can say that it has the long reaching potential and interest of the current Mustangs?

Great thread Brandon, if not for just to bring to mind how far reaching our cars have been. More popular than anything else offered today...by far!

Sorry to quote again but bike boy. Let me tell you. I had to screenshot your post because so many people have asked me. Why mustangs? I can't really give them an answer. But now I can. That literally just summed up the entire reason why I'm a mustang guy. Because it brings us all together. No matter where I am. Mustangs have always brought people together. No other automobile on the planet (imo) has ever done that

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read - first time I've seen it.

Ditto! Not often I enjoy reading every post in a long thread, and I too, do not recall tripping across this when it was fresh. But, most of it rings true today, go figure. Nice to see opinions from 500 owners too.

Thanks, Brandon.

Y'all be safe.

• 2 months later...

Archived