TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT-R

sgt1020

Even though the 2011 Shelby GT350 has taken the spot light, I just thought I should post this up.

In this Motor Trend article, http://www.motortren...y_gt/index.html , our 07 Shelby GT was deemed the modern reincarnation of the original GT350. Not only is our motor nearly the same size 289ci v8 that was in the original car (281ci) but it has all the same subtle design cues of the original car (Grill, hood scoop, hurst short throw shifter, the lemans stripes etc.) Although Shelby named the new 2011 5.0 powered mustang the GT350, in respect to the past and history, our cars are more closely related and truly the real "GT350's".

112_0704_14z2007_ford_shelby_GTright_front_view.jpg

112_0704_18z2007_ford_shelby_GTfront_view.jpg

In this mustang monthly article, a mustang enthusiast decides to take his 07 Shelby GT to the Shelby Mod shop to make a what he calls "a spiritual successor" to the original GT350-R. At first he talks about going the supercharger route, but that it would not be a true modern version of the original since the original was not supercharged. On top of that, the blower adds weight were you don't want it; the nose. He decides to keep it N/A. While it may be too small to see, his build includes, FRPP cams, manifold, CNC ported Heads, steeda ud pulleys and high flow inlet elbow, 6 speed transmission, bassani long-tube headers and x pipe.

Scan110480000.jpg

Scan110480001.jpg

Scan110480002.jpg

Scan110480004.jpg

Scan110480007.jpg

It really was a great read, but it had me thinking. I plan on doing the same mods excluding the 6 speed transmission, watts link (for now) and CNC ported Heads. But if Bolte and Paul Brown (SCCA Pro World Challenge GT racer and Bolte's hot shoe in the GT350R) say that his build on the Shelby GT is a real modern GT350-R then I will take their word for it.

"Yet there is a beast in this car, it is like I am revisiting that visceral feeling the R-model gives me but 45 years later. This car is a digitally re-mastered R-model Mustang. You could go out and race the thing!"

Not only do I feel that our cars are the modern GT350's, but by building the motor up the way they did at the Shelby speed shop, (Almost similarly to the way Shelby built up the original GT350 back in the day to give birth to the GT350-R) I believe that others including myself will have a modern Shelby GT350-R. (Only difference will be that I am getting my work done at JDM Engineering, rather than the Shelby Speed Shop) Regardless, it will still be a Shelby GT-R once the work is done.

In no way am I bashing, degrading or putting down the 2011 GT350. It is a masterpiece no doubt; But when history and facts collide, I feel our cars are the Real GT350's.

-Brandon :salute:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You ought to see the latest SVT magazine. It craps on the SGT, dismissing it as little more that a California Special with bolt on parts. I know how to scan magazine pages to PDF but I do not know how to post PDF images on the Forum. If someone wishes to enlighten me, I will post up the page from the SVT magazine.

Jim

You ought to see the latest SVT magazine. It craps on the SGT, dismissing it as little more that a California Special with bolt on parts. I know how to scan magazine pages to PDF but I do not know how to post PDF images on the Forum. If someone wishes to enlighten me, I will post up the page from the SVT magazine.

Jim

The original GT350 wasn't much more than a regular mustang with a little extra hp and lemans stripes either. So I guess they should crap on the original GT350 as just a regular mustang with some bolt on parts then too.

Too bad the SVT GT500's aren't REAL shelby's in the sense that they weren't 1. A pre titled program and 2. Built at the Shelby plant in Las Vegas, NV. I admire SVT's work but if they have nothing better to do than bash the SGT then I'm extremely disappointed in them. :nonono:

The SGT is MUCH more than a california special with bolt on parts. It's what you would call a Shelby.

Jim

Jim,

I'm not positive, but I don't think .PDF files are an "approved" format for posting headscratch.gif

But as far as "bolt-on" parts are concerned, except for the early 1965 GT350's + R-Models, the "original" street cars were nothing more than Hi-Po Fastbacks with a bunch of "Shelby" parts added by SA...

Why do you think it is soooooo easy for them to be cloned? Except for the CSM & matching VIN, just take a look thru the latest Tony Branda Catalog...

post-8727-0-73740100-1297980819_thumb.jpg

1988 @ My first car = 289 2V w/Auto... Ended up = 289 4V w/Toploader... And YES, I was asked many times if it was an original SHELBY happy%20feet.gif

And I am by nooooo means dissing on any "original" GT350 redcard.gif

Just trying to point out that what was done back in 1965 ~ 1967 was pretty much the same as 2006 ~ 2008...

Too bad the GT350 moniker wasn't used from the beginning of the 40th Anniv HERTZ cars finger.gif

Oh wellrant2.gif

Jim

you can cut and paste out of pdf into PowerPoint then save image as a jpeg to post. Or you can send me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail. I'll take care of the posting, besides, I'd love to read the article written by the SVT folks about the namesake cars that they've made so much money off of!

Aside from that, I'm surprised that this forum hasn't blown up, what with all the discussion of true SHELBY's and all.... :lurk:

Guys, Guys!

Don't let all the haters get you down.

PDF is an allowed format but why give their skewed opinion any more play here!

I seriously wouldn't waste any energy on this.

I really want to see what these people are so jealous of. I'm not......FORD makes a great car..... :poke:

I really want to see what these people are so jealous of. I'm not......FORD makes a great car..... :poke:

I think its a good post. Someone learned we have 281 ci motors in our SGT's not 289 ci :hysterical:

That was a joke.

In the late 60's the GT350 grew in length and weight, and so did the motor size.

Guys, Guys!

Don't let all the haters get you down.

PDF is an allowed format but why give their skewed opinion any more play here!

I seriously wouldn't waste any energy on this.

Are you referring to SVT's article on the SGT? Or my post? I was simply just seeing if most of the guys out there with SGT's would agree that our cars are more closely related and indeed are the modern versions of the original GT350.

Are you referring to SVT's article on the SGT? Or my post? I was simply just seeing if most of the guys out there with SGT's would agree that our cars are more closely related and indeed are the modern versions of the original GT350.

I think he was referring to the SVT article. I'd like to read it.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the similarities in the SGT and the classic GT350. it just saddens me to see that the SVT folks can't seem to give credit where credit is due....

Quoted from an interview with Carroll Shelby by Jerry Heasley of Mustang Monthly--July 2004 issue for the article, "A Modern Shelby Mustang?--Shelby Fights Back"

"Yep, it's like reliving the '60s. It went away for 35 years and nobody except the enthusiasts gave a hoot, until the Ford family brought back the things that were accomplished by our little company and Ford in the '60s. It seemed like it went away for 40 years. And now, thank God the people who put it together are getting the recognition. Not for me, Carroll Shelby, but for the people at Ford and Shelby American who made it all happen."

This is a tad askew from the op, but pertains to the discussion I think?

I have an '07 500 white/blue stripe coupe, (original color scheme)...ordered it that way for that very purpose, in fact. However, am not too big to admit that our beloved 500's are not really 'true' , 'real' Shelbys. Simply put, the partnership with FORD to build an assembly line SHELBY was the marketing genius to get the name back into the masses to get the Vegas built 'true' SHELBY graced cars 'on the map' again!

Guess what? It friggin' worked! The GT500 is a straightline rocketship that looks dynamite, and to help make it appeal to us better, the owners of them, SAI decided to let our cars have the dashplaque signed with a Sharpie, instead of the stamped sig. that exists on the SGT's. I think it a fair trade-off for not really being 'touched' by the hands of an SAI technician! In the end...all of the current S197 offerings have a little something for everyone. I may not have explained my feelings correctly here, and this is not meant to ruffle any feathers, although I hope you guys understand my intent? The GT500 although not touched and 'graced' by any hands-on mods of a SHELBY employee, had an enormous input in design and technical upgrades from Carroll, and frankly "Hit The Mark"...dead on! It left plenty of room for the SGT, the GT-H, the California Special, the Bullitt, and now the GT350. All heritage re-do's with a little something different for everyone!

:P

Think about it...Look at all of these cars. They are all based on the same car, and yet offer so many different looks, feel, and horses! Then throw in the Roush's, Saleens, and the smaller more nichey builders, like FOOSE, and RONAELE, and....I know I'm missing a bunch. But, you get the jist.....something for everyone!! No Camaro, Challenger, or any other car can say that it has the long reaching potential and interest of the current Mustangs?

Great thread Brandon, if not for just to bring to mind how far reaching our cars have been. More popular than anything else offered today...by far!

This is a tad askew from the op, but pertains to the discussion I think?

I have an '07 500 white/blue stripe coupe, (original color scheme)...ordered it that way for that very purpose, in fact. However, am not too big to admit that our beloved 500's are not really 'true' , 'real' Shelbys. Simply put, the partnership with FORD to build an assembly line SHELBY was the marketing genius to get the name back into the masses to get the Vegas built 'true' SHELBY graced cars 'on the map' again!

Guess what? It friggin' worked! The GT500 is a straightline rocketship that looks dynamite, and to help make it appeal to us better, the owners of them, SAI decided to let our cars have the dashplaque signed with a Sharpie, instead of the stamped sig. that exists on the SGT's. I think it a fair trade-off for not really being 'touched' by the hands of an SAI technician! In the end...all of the current S197 offerings have a little something for everyone. I may not have explained my feelings correctly here, and this is not meant to ruffle any feathers, although I hope you guys understand my intent? The GT500 although not touched and 'graced' by any hands-on mods of a SHELBY employee, had an enormous input in design and technical upgrades from Carroll, and frankly "Hit The Mark"...dead on! It left plenty of room for the SGT, the GT-H, the California Special, the Bullitt, and now the GT350. All heritage re-do's with a little something different for everyone!

:P

Think about it...Look at all of these cars. They are all based on the same car, and yet offer so many different looks, feel, and horses! Then throw in the Roush's, Saleens, and the smaller more nichey builders, like FOOSE, and RONAELE, and....I know I'm missing a bunch. But, you get the jist.....something for everyone!! No Camaro, Challenger, or any other car can say that it has the long reaching potential and interest of the current Mustangs?

Great thread Brandon, if not for just to bring to mind how far reaching our cars have been. More popular than anything else offered today...by far!

I agree there are many ways to build a mustang. And many people are willing to put their ideas in to customize a mustang to fit different type people. The mustang is the most accessorized car ever built.

Even though the 2011 Shelby GT350 has taken the spot light, I just thought I should post this up.

In this Motor Trend article, http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0704_2007_ford_shelby_gt/index.html , our 07 Shelby GT was deemed the modern reincarnation of the original GT350. Not only is our motor the same size 289ci v8 that was in the original car but it has all the same subtle design cues of the original car (Grill, hood scoop, hurst short throw shifter, the lemans stripes etc.) Although Shelby named the new 2011 5.0 powered mustang the GT350, in respect to the past and history, our cars are more closely related and truly the real "GT350's".

112_0704_14z2007_ford_shelby_GTright_front_view.jpg

112_0704_18z2007_ford_shelby_GTfront_view.jpg

In this mustang monthly article, a mustang enthusiast decides to take his 07 Shelby Gt to the Shelby Mod shop to make a what he calls "a spiritual successor" to the original GT350-R. At first he talks about going the supercharger route, but that it would not be a true modern version of the original since the original was not supercharged. On top of that, the blower adds weight were you don't want it; the nose. He decides to keep it N/A. While it may be too small to see, his build includes, FRPP cams, manifold, CNC ported Heads, steeda ud pulleys and high flow inlet elbow, 6 speed transmission, bassani long-tube headers and x pipe.

Scan110480000.jpg

Scan110480001.jpg

Scan110480002.jpg

Scan110480004.jpg

Scan110480007.jpg

It really was a great read, but it had me thinking. I plan on doing the same mods excluding the 6 speed transmission, watts link (for now) and CNC ported Heads. But if Bolte and Paul Brown (SCCA Pro World Challenge GT racer and Bolte's hot shoe in the GT350R) say that his build on the Shelby GT is a real modern GT350-R then I will take their word for it.

"Yet there is a beast in this car, it is like I am revisiting that visceral feeling the R-model gives me but 45 years later. This car is a digitally re-mastered R-model Mustang. You could go out and race the thing!"

Not only do I feel that our cars are the modern GT350's, but by building the motor up the way they did at the Shelby speed shop, (Almost similarly to the way Shelby built up the original GT350 back in the day to give birth to the GT350-R) I believe that others including myself will have a modern Shelby GT350-R. (Only difference will be that I am getting my work done at JDM Engineering, rather than the Shelby Speed Shop) Regardless, it will still be a Shelby GT-R once the work is done.

In no way am I bashing, degrading or putting down the 2011 GT350. It is a masterpiece no doubt; But when history and facts collide, I feel our cars are the Real GT350's.

-Brandon :salute:

Brandon

I couldn't agree more!!!

Now I really want the blue stripes;)

Laurence

Brandon

I couldn't agree more!!!

Now I really want the blue stripes;)

Laurence

Yes the blue stripes are VERY tempting! BUT! The Silver stripes are what Shelby decided to do, and I feel that so many mustangs now a days have the white with blue stripes. The Silver makes our cars unique! :yup:

Jim

SVT still has a magazine? :headscratch:

This must be the article the Roger mentioned in responce to my question back on Dec15th about the white SGt w blue stripes at the Quail motorsports gathering.

Thanks for posting this printed version!

Rich

Rich...I remember that post! You are right. This has to be that car.

Interesting topic. I've studied the history of the orignal GT-350, and I can tell you that the SGT is the

spiritual successor in so many ways, some of them already mentioned in this thread already. But what

I liked the best was the racing reason for the existence of the GT-350. Ford had Shelby make the mods

for the SCCA B Production class, which required a street version of 100+ builds. SCCA officials would

let Shelby modify either the suspension or engine for the R version, so for the street version Shelby

focused on the suspension and minor tweaks to the intake/exhaust for warranty reasons. The rest

of the story is the legend that has brought us all the way to our current versions.

So, just like the street version of the GT-350, the SGT has its major changes in the suspension. And

just like the GT-350R, the result of those suspension changes has helped the SGT win at SCCA Racing

(in this case Solo autocrossing for the 2007, 2008, and 2009 seasons).

As for my idea of an SGT-R, I'm planning to build it to specfic racing classes once I'm done racing it

in Stock classes, just like Shelby did back in 1965. That includes SSCA E Street Prepared for autocrossing

and NASA AI for track days (the two can overlap considerably). So that makes the SGT perfect for me no matter

what Ford or Shelby does with current or future Mustangs.

Fun, fun, fun!

-Tom

I am a fan of automotive history and a total car freak....I agree 100% with this article anybody with any design or an artistic eye can see that the SGT clearly mimics the GT350 65-66.

They used the original GT350 in the advertisments. The specs are very similar. Call the SGT what you want and let SVT dismiss the car, the matter of fact spec wise and visually the SGT is indeed the visual and by the numbers and build the modern successor to the 65-66 GT350. It took me less that 2 minutes after first seeing one for the first time at a dealership to come to that conclusion. I bought one.

They are all vert cool, but the SGT is closest to the 65-66 car in all ways and especially visually. Without question.

Archived