TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT-R

sgt1020

Agreed, the SGT is similar to the original GT350's. But they're not GT350's. Love the SGT for what it is...a goddamn Shelby GT!

It doesn't need to be compared to anything else, in my opinion, to deserve it's place in Shelby history.

The SGT is a SHELBY. it is the car i picked to buy almost 4 years ago and still love today.

Now, can we get back on the subject? :read: a SGT-R

That is an amazing car. Very nice write up on it as well.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SGT is a SHELBY. it is the car i picked to buy almost 4 years ago and still love today.

Now, can we get back on the subject? :read: a SGT-R

That is an amazing car. Very nice write up on it as well.

Indeed it is! And In two weeks, my SGT will be going into the shop to be turned into a Shelby GT-R. I can not explain my excitement in words! :happy feet:

THis guy stole my idea :( ... Its like we were on the same brain wave but I digress ... Does anyone have any more information on this car? I wonder if we can somehow find the dyno sheet and also what kind of dyno the Shelby Speed Shop has because this car is amazing. The people at Shelby Speed Shop did an amazing job!!!

You ought to see the latest SVT magazine. It craps on the SGT, dismissing it as little more that a California Special with bolt on parts. I know how to scan magazine pages to PDF but I do not know how to post PDF images on the Forum. If someone wishes to enlighten me, I will post up the page from the SVT magazine.

Jim

I wonder if you happen to have the article? Or maybe it is online :shrug:

This must be the article the Roger mentioned in responce to my question back on Dec15th about the white SGt w blue stripes at the Quail motorsports gathering.

Thanks for posting this printed version!

Rich

Sorry I couldnt find the thread your talking about, can you get the link for me?

^Is JDM or Shelby doing the work? Are you changing the side stripe too?

JDM is doing the work. Regardless, it will be a Shelby GT-R. No I am not changing the Side Stripe. Too much of a hassle and incase I'd ever decide to go back to stock (VERY unlikely) I will have the original stripe.

Interesting topic. I've studied the history of the orignal GT-350, and I can tell you that the SGT is the

spiritual successor in so many ways, some of them already mentioned in this thread already. But what

I liked the best was the racing reason for the existence of the GT-350. Ford had Shelby make the mods

for the SCCA B Production class, which required a street version of 100+ builds. SCCA officials would

let Shelby modify either the suspension or engine for the R version, so for the street version Shelby

focused on the suspension and minor tweaks to the intake/exhaust for warranty reasons. The rest

of the story is the legend that has brought us all the way to our current versions.

So, just like the street version of the GT-350, the SGT has its major changes in the suspension. And

just like the GT-350R, the result of those suspension changes has helped the SGT win at SCCA Racing

(in this case Solo autocrossing for the 2007, 2008, and 2009 seasons).

As for my idea of an SGT-R, I'm planning to build it to specfic racing classes once I'm done racing it

in Stock classes, just like Shelby did back in 1965. That includes SSCA E Street Prepared for autocrossing

and NASA AI for track days (the two can overlap considerably). So that makes the SGT perfect for me no matter

what Ford or Shelby does with current or future Mustangs.

Fun, fun, fun!

-Tom

I like your avatar picture! It would be sweet to get a Shelby GT-R sticker to put on the car. Did you design that yourself?

Even though the 2011 Shelby GT350 has taken the spot light, I just thought I should post this up.

In this Motor Trend article, http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0704_2007_ford_shelby_gt/index.html , our 07 Shelby GT was deemed the modern reincarnation of the original GT350. Not only is our motor the same size 289ci v8 that was in the original car but it has all the same subtle design cues of the original car (Grill, hood scoop, hurst short throw shifter, the lemans stripes etc.) Although Shelby named the new 2011 5.0 powered mustang the GT350, in respect to the past and history, our cars are more closely related and truly the real "GT350's".

112_0704_14z2007_ford_shelby_GTright_front_view.jpg

112_0704_18z2007_ford_shelby_GTfront_view.jpg

In this mustang monthly article, a mustang enthusiast decides to take his 07 Shelby Gt to the Shelby Mod shop to make a what he calls "a spiritual successor" to the original GT350-R. At first he talks about going the supercharger route, but that it would not be a true modern version of the original since the original was not supercharged. On top of that, the blower adds weight were you don't want it; the nose. He decides to keep it N/A. While it may be too small to see, his build includes, FRPP cams, manifold, CNC ported Heads, steeda ud pulleys and high flow inlet elbow, 6 speed transmission, bassani long-tube headers and x pipe.

Scan110480000.jpg

Scan110480001.jpg

Scan110480002.jpg

Scan110480004.jpg

Scan110480007.jpg

It really was a great read, but it had me thinking. I plan on doing the same mods excluding the 6 speed transmission, watts link (for now) and CNC ported Heads. But if Bolte and Paul Brown (SCCA Pro World Challenge GT racer and Bolte's hot shoe in the GT350R) say that his build on the Shelby GT is a real modern GT350-R then I will take their word for it.

"Yet there is a beast in this car, it is like I am revisiting that visceral feeling the R-model gives me but 45 years later. This car is a digitally re-mastered R-model Mustang. You could go out and race the thing!"

Not only do I feel that our cars are the modern GT350's, but by building the motor up the way they did at the Shelby speed shop, (Almost similarly to the way Shelby built up the original GT350 back in the day to give birth to the GT350-R) I believe that others including myself will have a modern Shelby GT350-R. (Only difference will be that I am getting my work done at JDM Engineering, rather than the Shelby Speed Shop) Regardless, it will still be a Shelby GT-R once the work is done.

In no way am I bashing, degrading or putting down the 2011 GT350. It is a masterpiece no doubt; But when history and facts collide, I feel our cars are the Real GT350's.

-Brandon :salute:

great find Brandon!

That is a great find and good vision for an end product.

IMHO, the ability to mod our SGT'ws how we like makes me think, if you want to see a Shelby GT/R, look no further than Ken or Big Carls beauties! They are truely nasty!

It is the Carbon Fiber High Flow Steeda Elbow (Same one I am installing). It works with the FRPP filter and heat shield assembly.

Thinking about ordering a new filter from Ford Racing. Is that a good idea since the car is going on 4 years old now? Only difference is the filter is blue instead of the grey colored on or it now.

looks like a steeda elbow to me

It is the Carbon Fiber High Flow Steeda Elbow (Same one I am installing). It works with the FRPP filter and heat shield assembly. Thinking about ordering a new filter from Ford Racing. Is that a good idea since the car is going on 4 years old now? Only difference is the filter is blue instead of the grey colored on or it now.

Oh ok thank you for the help

I like your avatar picture! It would be sweet to get a Shelby GT-R sticker to put on the car. Did you design that yourself?

Thanks. I woldn't say I designed it myself because it is a Berg Shelby R version of the Tiffany Cobra R. But I did do

the photoshop work. I would prefer a more block type font for the R, but I couldn't get one to fit around the Snake very

well. Then again, I didn't want to spend all day doing it either. I too think it would be sweet to have an official GT-R

design. Perhaps someone has already suggested that to mrfarmdog (Stuck On You Graphics).

To elaborate about my earlier point about SGT-Rs, my real hope that when someone makes an R version of the

SGT (in any form), that they actually run the thing in a racing event. Doesn't matter what type of racing (road, drag,

HPDE, autox), just that the Shelby colors are proudly represented. That is why I mentioned building to a specific

set of rules. The NASA AI or AIX classes allow the most interpretations based on power-to-weight ratio formulas.

So perhaps it is possible to build an SGT-R to those rules and compare lap times on tracks that run those races

duing open track days for kicks. Our resident road warriors like Ken would have more say about this. My expertise

is in autocross since I'm cheap right now.

-Tom

Thanks. I woldn't say I designed it myself because it is a Berg Shelby R version of the Tiffany Cobra R. But I did do

the photoshop work. I would prefer a more block type font for the R, but I couldn't get one to fit around the Snake very

well. Then again, I didn't want to spend all day doing it either. I too think it would be sweet to have an official GT-R

design. Perhaps someone has already suggested that to mrfarmdog (Stuck On You Graphics).

To elaborate about my earlier point about SGT-Rs, my real hope that when someone makes an R version of the

SGT (in any form), that they actually run the thing in a racing event. Doesn't matter what type of racing (road, drag,

HPDE, autox), just that the Shelby colors are proudly represented. That is why I mentioned building to a specific

set of rules. The NASA AI or AIX classes allow the most interpretations based on power-to-weight ratio formulas.

So perhaps it is possible to build an SGT-R to those rules and compare lap times on tracks that run those races

duing open track days for kicks. Our resident road warriors like Ken would have more say about this. My expertise

is in autocross since I'm cheap right now.

-Tom

+1 on that. Maybe we should mention it to mrfarmdog. I would certainly like a set of these decals!

That magazine article writer didn't like our SGT's. :(

Has he ever driven one? :headscratch:

I didn't take that one sentence about the SGT as too harsh criticism. The package

was Ford Racing packages bolted onto a base GT-CS. Plus the original hood

scoop was a fiasco. But that combo did produce the best handling Mustang

ever until perhaps the current versions. But since his focus is on power above

all else, I can see why he wouldn't put too much emphasis on the SGT.

-Tom

I didn't take that one sentence about the SGT as too harsh criticism. The package

was Ford Racing packages bolted onto a base GT-CS. Plus the original hood

scoop was a fiasco. But that combo did produce the best handling Mustang

ever until perhaps the current versions. But since his focus is on power above

all else, I can see why he wouldn't put too much emphasis on the SGT.

-Tom

I took it as "keping up with the jones' "

OR- A update(new mustang) means our cars are yesterdays news, now go spend your hard earned money on a new faster mustang.

OR- Support your local economy kinda deal.

I like the engine of the new BOSS 302, but not enought to take a 15K hit on my SGT.

I took it as "keping up with the jones' "

OR- A update(new mustang) means our cars are yesterdays news, now go spend your hard earned money on a new faster mustang.

OR- Support your local economy kinda deal.

I like the engine of the new BOSS 302, but not enought to take a 15K hit on my SGT.

Good points...

The good news for fans of the Coyote engine (count me in) is that it eventually will become

a Ford Racing crate engine.

-Tom

Sorry for the delay but here is the SVT article I spoke to in post #4. Look on the second page, right hand side, last full paragraph for the statement on the SGT.

Jim

Jim,

Great article. Thanks for posting.

No matter which of the 07-12 HiPo Mustang each of us owns, we are part of the modern Mustang's "golden age". It doesn't get any better than this! Enjoy it while it lasts. :superhero:

Hey guys. Thanks for thinking of me but anything related to Shelby logos would have to be designed and approved through Shelby Licensing and SPP. The appropriate process as I understand it would be to get approval from Robert and Sharon on the concept, at which point they would have a graphic designer create the concept. Robert and Sharon would then get it approved through Licensing. Once that is done then a production version of the decal would be created and approved by Licensing and then made available for purchase through the Shelby Store.

Just wanted you guys to know what would be involved. This is not something that I can just create.

Well, now that I've had the opportunity to own both an SGT and a 350, I can categorically state that the better car is...NEITHER. They're both terrific, in they're own way. Even though I have the 350, I miss the SGT. They are totally different and so much fun in their own unique way.

People are going to write articles forever, arguments and discussions will foster many pitchers of adult beverages, and car show attendees will stare back and forth in silent deliberation. But in the end, we can all smile as we turn the key and leave the bickering in the background, and head out in whatever Shelby we prefer.

:peelout:

John

Hey guys. Thanks for thinking of me but anything related to Shelby logos would have to be designed and approved through Shelby Licensing and SPP. The appropriate process as I understand it would be to get approval from Robert and Sharon on the concept, at which point they would have a graphic designer create the concept. Robert and Sharon would then get it approved through Licensing. Once that is done then a production version of the decal would be created and approved by Licensing and then made available for purchase through the Shelby Store.

Just wanted you guys to know what would be involved. This is not something that I can just create.

Is there any way you can get in touch with them about this? I'm sure a good number of guys would be interested!

Thanks for the info mrfarmdog... Robert and Sharon are pretty easy to get feedback about such requests

in the other TS forums.

As much as I would like for a SGT-R design for decals, etc., not sure there is that much of a market for it.

Perhaps for a Team Shelby R design, since it would be more inclusive of any of us Shelby owners who like

to race our cars. Hell, I'm happy for anything that promotes more racing. Driving our cars at the limit in safe

(meaning not on public roads) and sanctioned events is where we all should be.

Although, a very nice (functional and subtle) hint about R intentions for our SGTs is the tow bracket & hook

that FordFan1 has offered us. Will try to get mine installed this Spring when the weather gets better.

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I read that article and enjoyed it also. :soapbox: BUT..............., it's not a R model. Let's not forget the original R model was for RACING! Ditch 200lbs, including most of the interior trim, the climate controls, the fancy leather seats, the kicker stereo; and put in a roll cage, racing seats and some harnesses; THEN, perhaps we could call it an R model. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm getting on my high horse here, but R models are track cars! Call this SAM modified car a GT-M for motorsport or GT-S for street (performance). To be honest, I've had Shelby GT-R design specs. laid out for a while, but have never gone through with it. You can send me a PM if you're curious.

BTW, regarding the 07-09 or 10-11 GT500 models AND the 2011 GT350- they're modeled after the 67-68 cars. I agree completely, that the closest and ONLY model that resembles a modern 65-66 GT350 is the Shelby GT- hands down- enough said. Team Shelby has it right- to heck with the magazine writers. Just as when Ford released the modern GT, resembling the GT40; Shelby released the GT, resembling the GT350.

I read that article and enjoyed it also. :soapbox: BUT..............., it's not a R model. Let's not forget the original R model was for RACING! Ditch 200lbs, including most of the interior trim, the climate controls, the fancy leather seats, the kicker stereo; and put in a roll cage, racing seats and some harnesses; THEN, perhaps we could call it an R model. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm getting on my high horse here, but R models are track cars! Call this SAM modified car a GT-M for motorsport or GT-S for street (performance). To be honest, I've had Shelby GT-R design specs. laid out for a while, but have never gone through with it. You can send me a PM if you're curious.

BTW, regarding the 07-09 or 10-11 GT500 models AND the 2011 GT350- they're modeled after the 67-68 cars. I agree completely, that the closest and ONLY model that resembles a modern 65-66 GT350 is the Shelby GT- hands down- enough said. Team Shelby has it right- to heck with the magazine writers. Just as when Ford released the modern GT, resembling the GT40; Shelby released the GT, resembling the GT350.

If Bolte and Paul Brown (SCCA Pro World Challenge GT racer and Bolte's hot shoe in the GT350R) say that his build on the Shelby GT is a real modern GT350-R (Spiritual successor) then I will take their word for it. Sure I could rip out the climate controls and leather seats and what not, but without doing that, it can technically be considered a Shelby GT-R just with a little extra weight. The Shelby GT is a race car, It has been the autocross champ for the last 3 years in a row if I am not mistaken. It is a track ready car.

The Shelby GT is a race car, It has been the autocross champ for the last 3 years in a row if I am not mistaken. It is a track ready car.

I have to respectfully disagree here. The Shelby GT is a performance car built for the street. As much as I love them, they're not race cars; not from the dealer anyway. I don't believe Paul Brown called it a race car either.

I will always hold on to the raw and brutal nature of the original GT350R. This car comes closer with it's performance modifications.

whiteandbluefr500c.jpg

Archived