TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Turning my car in to SAI for 40th mod...

Planning to deliver my car to SAI on Monday, 21 Feb for it's 40th Anniversary package! No power upgrade planned at this time, but did go with the Silver wheels. Decided to drive out to Vegas from VA versus shipping based on cost comparison. Save a little $$$ and enjoy some extended seat time behind the wheel :peelout: Timing coincides with business trip I have out there next week, which is great.

So, last night I uncovered the beast and did a little prep work by removing the CS signed dash plaque, the painted GT500 door sill plates, and other personal items. Checked over all the vital fluids, and checked/reset the tire air pressure. This evening I'll put one more quick coat of Zaino before hitting the road on Friday.

No doubt I'll need to do a quick wash/detail roadtrip cleanup after I arrive in LV... anyone have a suggestion on a wash/detail outfit near SAI? Will take a few "before" pics in anticipation of the "after" when my car gets completed. Looking forward to a tour of the Shelby facility after I get my car turned in.

My current plates expire next month so I'm ordering up a personalized plate and should have it back in time for pick up. Have my choices narrowed down to:

40YR SNK

40YR 500

6707 500

67 500 07

Appreciate any input from those who've gone before...

Keith

Future owner 07XL0235

Good Luck on the transformation! Hope she is back to ya quickly :-)

Was 40th SNK available?

I like 40YR SNK

Actually, after double checking, "40TH SNK" is available!

As far as getting the car back... I'm willing to let SAI take their time and put me closer to the END of the line;o)

keith

UPDATE: knocked out 2400 miles in 3 days. 1002 miles on day 1; then 900 on day 2, and the last 580 on day 3! The only real issue was on day 3 getting through the snow & ice in Gallup, NM and Flagstaff, AZ. The back end got happy on me twice, but I had already reduced my speed considerably, making recovery corrections quick and effective. Certainly got my adrenaline pumping though. The most treacherous events were getting on/off the Interstate for gas... as the ramps/side roads weren't nearly as clear. I damn near decided to park it for awhile after passing a half-dozen vehicles already off the road.

Had the folks at Granite Auto Grooming (thanks for the recommendation McGuirk) do a quick detail for me this morning (Monday) before dropping the car off at SAI. Couldn't bring myself to turn in a dirty car with 3 days of road grime. Discovered the lower driver's side fender behind the wheel well suffered a bit of chipped paint from the sand that had been put down on the snow. Had thought about taping the car up some for the trip, but decided against it. I guess the chipped paint and 23,500 miles on the odometer only proves my car isn't a garage queen. You live, You drive, You learn... not to worry about chipped paint and mileage!

I did remember to shoot a few "before" pictures today while turning in my car. Can't wait for the "after" shots, though I did emphasize to Sales staff and mod technician that they could "take their time" as I didn't need to get the car back right away.

Will have to give some thought on B17Drvr's idea for my plate: 07XL235. I hadn't thought of that one, but it's growing on me.

Anyway - happy to safely get my car to SAI for the upgrade and happy to be joining the Team 40th crowd!

Keith

Wow Keith, what a great adventure! My prediction is the return trip will be even more of an adventure as the Eibach suspension is a tad less than comfortable IMO, but keep us posted!

I would recommend you hold off on the license plate until we get the final build numbers because:

"LAST 40" might be an appropriate choice.

Wow Keith, what a great adventure! My prediction is the return trip will be even more of an adventure as the Eibach suspension is a tad less than comfortable IMO, but keep us posted!

I would recommend you hold off on the license plate until we get the final build numbers because:

"LAST 40" might be an appropriate choice.

Another good idea for the plate! Seems as though SAI is already working on my car...

they called yesterday about the chipped paint on the left fender. When they were peeling the stripes off the front bumper some of the clear coat came off with it. They asked me if I'd like them to fix (prime/repaint) the left fender when they re-clear the front bumper. Better to do it now I said! And I did remind them to "take their time" B)

Keith

Added a couple of pics from my trip out to SAI -- getting through the snow in Flagstaff and the "before" 40th in front of SAI...

Have also decided on "40YR SNK" for my plate. I can always get 07XL235 at anytime and I just don't know if I can truly claim "LST 40TH" yet....

http://th_Slowsteady.jpgSlow & Steady

http://th_SnowShelby.jpgSnow Shelby

http://th_Before40th.jpgBefore 40TH

Keith

Added a couple of pics from my trip out to SAI -- getting through the snow in Flagstaff and the "before" 40th in front of SAI...

Have also decided on "40YR SNK" for my plate. I can always get 07XL235 at anytime and I just don't know if I can truly claim "LST 40TH" yet....

th_Slowsteady.jpg

Keith

Looks like a real white knuckler to me. :fear:

Congrats on gettting your Shelby to Vegas safe and sound.

Archived