TEAM SHELBY FORUM

EVERYTHING I need to buy to install a Whipple 550?

07SGT5687

Oh and Black or Polished?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Black or Polished Whipple SC?

• BLACK
    • POLISHED

Soooooo, I'm getting ever so much closer to the time when I'll be ordering the Whipple 550 for my 07 SGT. I was hoping you all could help me compile the ENTIRE list of any and all parts and necessities I need to do this. I've got a couple of folks locally that I think can help me do the install, but I want to make sure I have EVERYTHING I need to git-r-done. I mean parts, tools, suggested add-ons, tweaks, supplemental bolt-ons, etc.

Oh and help me decide (poll above) on Black or polished....

As far as I can tell, these are the 2, I should be choosing from, right?

2007 Manual Black 2.3L 550 542 Ford $6,995.00 M-6066-M117

2007 Manual Polished 2.3L 550 542 Ford $7,239.00 M-6066-M117P

You'll need some brakes...:hysterical:

The install manual is pretty great and I think its available online. On my car we changed out a few of the "factory" style pich hose clamps for some German screw type ones as there was a small intercooler drip from a coolant hose near the I/C pump. So I would put on other hose clamps than the type that Whipple provides, if I were installing one. Obviously you'll need some coolant and whatever sealants are needed etc...

From what I understand the kits are very comprehensive. You will absolutley love the Whipple, it rips....happy%20feet.gif

Soooooo, I'm getting ever so much closer to the time when I'll be ordering the Whipple 550 for my 07 SGT. I was hoping you all could help me compile the ENTIRE list of any and all parts and necessities I need to do this. I've got a couple of folks locally that I think can help me do the install, but I want to make sure I have EVERYTHING I need to git-r-done. I mean parts, tools, suggested add-ons, tweaks, supplemental bolt-ons, etc.

I did a non-intercooled install myself. The kit is pretty complete.

I have a pretty good collection of tools but I did need to pick up a set of Torque drivers, fuel line disconnect tool and some metric hex wrenches.

I did mine with a friend. Pretty straight forward.

You will need an inch pound torque wrench. Got mine at sears for $40.00.

Also, this is a good time to put on some cool valve covers and upgrade the fuel rails.

I went with FRPP blue valve covers and MMR D shaped fuel rails.

I did mine with a friend. Pretty straight forward.

You will need an inch pound torque wrench. Got mine at sears for $40.00.

Also, this is a good time to put on some cool valve covers and upgrade the fuel rails.

I went with FRPP blue valve covers and MMR D shaped fuel rails.

inch/lb. TR, check

Cool valve covers, check (SHELBY GT ones).

Fuel rails... got a link to those MMR D shaped ones you speak of? I was looking at the ones on Shelby's store, but i'm definitely open to suggestion.

try Lethal, they will save you some $$$

http://www.lethalperformance.com/superchargers-whipple-intercooled-complete-kits-c-576_577_2516_2543_3672

Here's a link to an electronic version of the installation manual. If it doesn't come through shoot me a PM with an email and I'll send you a copy that I have, Fortunately mine had been done before I bought the car, but I downloaded it for some tech info.

It's Aug 09 version, but it will at least give you an idea of what you're getting into.

Stan

inch/lb. TR, check

Cool valve covers, check (SHELBY GT ones).

Fuel rails... got a link to those MMR D shaped ones you speak of? I was looking at the ones on Shelby's store, but i'm definitely open to suggestion.

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

MMR 2005-2010 Billet Fuel Rails

These fuel rails are a must to prevent fuel starvation on Supercharged and Turbocharged engines. US made of 6061 Billet aluminum. Prevent your engine from running lean with the finest rails available for you 2005-2008 Mustang . Attaches to factory fuel feed line. Direct bolt on. Dont pay less for a inferior system that will only lean out your car and cause engine damage!

900811B Comes complete to connect to factory fuel line - this comes with a larger diameter fuel crossover line and AN fittings.

also try Tousley Ford

Thanks! They actually ARE the cheapest I've found (well, YOU found). $6695 delivered for the polished one.

Here's a link to an electronic version of the installation manual.

Thanks Stan, but I didn't see a link. Can you email it to me? I'll PM my email address to you.

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

MMR 2005-2010 Billet Fuel Rails

These fuel rails are a must to prevent fuel starvation on Supercharged and Turbocharged engines. US made of 6061 Billet aluminum. Prevent your engine from running lean with the finest rails available for you 2005-2008 Mustang . Attaches to factory fuel feed line. Direct bolt on. Dont pay less for a inferior system that will only lean out your car and cause engine damage!

900811B Comes complete to connect to factory fuel line - this comes with a larger diameter fuel crossover line and AN fittings.

Thanks for the info. I might look into these. SIdenote: man, that MMR website is a wreck!

What about gauges? Is this the way to go?

http://www.shelbysto.../s5sf-19017.htm

It's definitely the one I've always coveted to date!

EDIT: GOOD GOD! OUT OF STOCK! Does Shelby stock ANYTHING these days!?! :banghead:

I went with a FAST analog air/fuel ratio gauge and an Aeroforce Interceptor OBD II multi function gauge in a two place Speed of Sound a pillar pod.

I monitor A/F, fuel pressure and head temp from two gauges.

You've going to eventually need a new clutch as you will have about 200 more h.p. You could use better brakes, Revan Racing heat exchanger,gauges and tires and wheels. Now that's about $ 5,000.00 worth of extra's and i'm sure there are a few more things you will probably think of later.So if you have about $ 12,000.00 you will be in good shape. I know, i've done that. Some things you don't need but it takes a lot of money to be turn key.

Thanks Stan, but I didn't see a link. Can you email it to me? I'll PM my email address to you.

Sorry, maybe I was in a little too big a hurry this morning. Here's the link, but this isn't the one that I have at home (I can't seem to find it online again) this one is a 2007 version, good for reference, but if you want the 2009 one, shoot me a PM send me a PM (if it works, mine seem to be screwed up a lot) I'd be more than happy to send it to you via e-mail.

Stan

Install manual

Oh, and does anyone have a link to the online manual? I haven't been able to find it and I want to get familiar with the install.

Thanks in advance.

You've going to eventually need a new clutch as you will have about 200 more h.p. You could use better brakes, Revan Racing heat exchanger,gauges and tires and wheels. Now that's about $ 5,000.00 worth of extra's and i'm sure there are a few more things you will probably think of later.So if you have about $ 12,000.00 you will be in good shape. I know, i've done that. Some things you don't need but it takes a lot of money to be turn key.

Ok, now that confuses me a bit. I'm told that "turn key" is basically the kit directly from Whipple/FRPP and a couple of tools. From what I've deduced so far, the kit as it comes from Whipple is pretty much everything you need. Now I understand that there are quite a few add-ons you can do to get further hp and optimize the setup, but my understanding so far is that $6695 is turn-key.

I'm AM however interested in what your experience is with those additional add-ons (heat exchanger, clutch, etc.). Did you feel you NEEDED it or did you just see a bump in performance over a "stock" Whipple 550?

Thanks a lot man... gunna get started reading!

Wow, okay, that was a read. Not exactly the most exciting thing I've read in a while, but it did seem pretty comprehensive. I'd say I immediately grasped about 75% of it. There was some unpictured "hose" and "line" speak that kind of blew over my head a bit, but I imagine I can get that stuff clarified.

So from reading it, I realized at least this list of things I would need to get rollin';

- Plastic clip puller (don't they have these little bent split flat head screw driver looking things that are made for popping out those plastic clips? I always seem to break them off).

- Spark Plug Gap Tool (used to have one, no idea where it is).

- In/lb. torque wrench (thought I had one, but apparently not... unless someone borrowed it).

- Fuel Line Removal Tool

- Ball head Allen wrenches (metric)

- Gasket Cinch

- Fuel Tank Lock Ring Wrench

- Small hand torch or heat gun (for shrink tape).

- Fuel Filters

- Red Line Water Wetter (1-2 bottles).

And as far as additional addons, I think I'm going to stick with the following for the moment;

- Shelby GT Valve Covers

- High performance fuel rails (not sure which brand yet)

- Gauge pod system (not sure if Shelby dash mount of SOS pillar mount).

You guys think I can knock this out in a weekend of 2 full days with some knowledgeable help?

Also, what do you think about doing the Black wrinkle finish since I'm putting the Black wrinkle finish valve covers on? Or do most of you think I should still do the polished?

Ok, now that confuses me a bit. I'm told that "turn key" is basically the kit directly from Whipple/FRPP and a couple of tools. From what I've deduced so far, the kit as it comes from Whipple is pretty much everything you need. Now I understand that there are quite a few add-ons you can do to get further hp and optimize the setup, but my understanding so far is that $6695 is turn-key.

I'm AM however interested in what your experience is with those additional add-ons (heat exchanger, clutch, etc.). Did you feel you NEEDED it or did you just see a bump in performance over a "stock" Whipple 550?

For 6695.00 you will be turn key with the whipple. But with all that h.p. you will need a new clutch eventually, this depending on how much you dog it. I live in nHouston where it is extremely hot in the 8 months we have summer. It was 78 degrees today. All superchargers heat soak but Dual fan heat exchanger helps with the heat soak so as not to lose a lot of h.p. With a s/c you go faster so you need to stop faster so now you need brakes. As you can see, there is a pattern there when you buy a s/c. Don't get me wrong. Having your car s/cd is a lot of fun but in the end it is more than just the 6695.00 . If i had it to do over again i would do it again. The good news is you don't have to do any add-ons right away but a little here and a little there. Good luck and keep us all posted on your improvements.

Wow, okay, that was a read. Not exactly the most exciting thing I've read in a while, but it did seem pretty comprehensive. I'd say I immediately grasped about 75% of it. There was some unpictured "hose" and "line" speak that kind of blew over my head a bit, but I imagine I can get that stuff clarified.

So from reading it, I realized at least this list of things I would need to get rollin';

- Plastic clip puller (don't they have these little bent split flat head screw driver looking things that are made for popping out those plastic clips? I always seem to break them off).

- Spark Plug Gap Tool (used to have one, no idea where it is).

- In/lb. torque wrench (thought I had one, but apparently not... unless someone borrowed it).

- Fuel Line Removal Tool

- Ball head Allen wrenches (metric)

- Gasket Cinch

- Fuel Tank Lock Ring Wrench

- Small hand torch or heat gun (for shrink tape).

- Fuel Filters

- Red Line Water Wetter (1-2 bottles).

And as far as additional addons, I think I'm going to stick with the following for the moment;

- Shelby GT Valve Covers

- High performance fuel rails (not sure which brand yet)

- Gauge pod system (not sure if Shelby dash mount of SOS pillar mount).

You guys think I can knock this out in a weekend of 2 full days with some knowledgeable help?

Also, what do you think about doing the Black wrinkle finish since I'm putting the Black wrinkle finish valve covers on? Or do most of you think I should still do the polished?

I was going to mention that you need ball end metric allen wrenches. You can't get the crossover bolted down without them (5mm I think?). Looks like you've got that down though.

As far as I can recall, your tools/parts list is complete. Like Randy mentioned earlier, I'd have a handful of extra band clamps laying around too. The ones provided with the kit aren't great.

As for fuel rails, I went with the Metco ones (same rails that Shelby sells, but without the Shelby stamps). They are great looking pieces, but definitely not necessary for 99% of people that have them installed IMO. Not until you're in the 600 rwhp ballpark should you need to upgrade rails.

I went with the black Whipple and I'm glad I did. I also have black cam covers and a black powdercoated timing cover. The polished blower looks good too, but the black one was more my taste personally. Either will look great in your white SGT.

Lastly, there are tons of recommended mods for a car that's getting a blower, but many of them depend heavily on what you plan on doing with your car. If any track events are in your car's future, then the mod list gets a whole lot longer than if it's just going to be a street car. My opinion is start off with the Whipple supplied gear and leave everything else you have alone for now. Within a couple of months of abuse, you'll be able to write your own mod list pretty easily. Good luck.

EDIT: Go with the SOS gauge pod. It looks a whole lot cleaner. In my experience, the Shelby pod is a poor fit and a poor match for the dash. As for gauges, I highly recommend a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge, boost/vacuum gauge, and a fuel pressure gauge to start off with. The all in one gauges like Mike mentioned earlier are pretty slick too.

• 4 weeks later...

Not trying to hijack a thread, but would you please post some photos of your gun metal grey wheels. Especially when the sun is shining on that side of the car. I was curious how they looked on a white/silver SGT as opposed to the polished wheel.

Thank you

Not trying to hijack a thread, but would you please post some photos of your gun metal grey wheels. Especially when the sun is shining on that side of the car. I was curious how they looked on a white/silver SGT as opposed to the polished wheel.

Thank you

PM coming...

Archived