TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Shelby gt 500 KR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why thank you. Remind me to show you my Light Saber when we meet.... :ohsnap::redcard::finger::redcard::finger::redcard:

I am not sure how I missed this??? This was the best laugh I have had in a long time!!!!!!

Amy

Be careful Amy! I think he'll be at SAI next week!

If he's wearing a trench coat for his visit....welllll, you've been warned! :hysterical2:

You don't tug on Son of GT's cape

You don't spit into the wind

You don't pull the mask of the old Loan Ranger

ad you don't mess around with...

...Princes Amy

:hysterical2:

Be careful Amy! I think he'll be at SAI next week!

If he's wearing a trench coat for his visit....welllll, you've been warned! :hysterical2:

:yup: Yup. First the Jedi Mind Trick, then I bring out the Light Saber.... :shades:

My point is this: What is everyone expecting from Ford when asking for a KR?

Like I said, Shelby added the name back in '68 so GM couldn't use it for a Camaro. The motor wasn't any faster than the previous version. Why would Ford produce a new KR version? The 'regular' GT500 is extremely popular and powerful just as it is.

Fwiw, actually the KRs were different ...and considerably more powerful and beefed up... the GT500 was the 428 S-code with a 715 cfm 4bbl rated at 360HP, the KR was a 428 R-code (the first "Cobra-Jet" I believe) ...with heads from the 427 4-bolt-mains racer, 735cfm 4bbl and rated at 335HP but was typically more like 400-410HP (the old gross HP rating system used for both). The KR also got bigger rear brakes, staggered shocks and enhanced engine-compartment bracing and had functional ram-air induction built into the hood. All '68 and '69 GT500s and KRs were all made by A.O.Smith Company of Livonia, MI.

Still, because of all the weight adders, the GT500KR was only slightly faster than my '68 GT 390/335HP R-code because the GT500 and KR both weighed around 3680lb and my GT/390 weighed 500-600lbs less. Of course, they'd kill me on a road course both handling-wise and in braking. All the big-block fords got the humongous brass 3 or 4-core radiators, so cooling was not a problem.

-Dan

Fwiw, actually the KRs were different ...and considerably more powerful and beefed up... the GT500 was the 428 S-code with a 715 cfm 4bbl rated at 360HP, the KR was a 428 R-code (the first "Cobra-Jet" I believe) ...with heads from the 427 4-bolt-mains racer, 735cfm 4bbl and rated at 335HP but was typically more like 400-410HP (the old gross HP rating system used for both). The KR also got bigger rear brakes, staggered shocks and enhanced engine-compartment bracing and had functional ram-air induction built into the hood. All '68 and '69 GT500s and KRs were all made by A.O.Smith Company of Livonia, MI.

Still, because of all the weight adders, the GT500KR was only slightly faster than my '68 GT 390/335HP R-code because the GT500 and KR both weighed around 3680lb and my GT/390 weighed 500-600lbs less. Of course, they'd kill me on a road course both handling-wise and in braking. All the big-block fords got the humongous brass 3 or 4-core radiators, so cooling was not a problem.

-Dan

Dan, umm, we all know that. As we both agree, overall the '68 KR didn't perform better than the GT500. My point was just asking what everyone expected from Ford with a new KR version since the current GT500 is over the top as it is.

Archived