TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tires

softy

• 2 weeks later...

are they same size? the web sites have 2 different sizes. what size rims?

Nitto's were 315/40-18 on 11" rims.

M&H's are 325/50x15 on 10" rims.

Obviously different setups but that is what I went with. Get what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

i have tested them both, i just replaced the M&H 345/35/18 with a set of M/T 305/35/18. the m/t's are no wear near the traction capabilities of the M&H's, when i ran the m&h, on the street they would turn over pretty good in first gear only on the first hit, once they spun over and got just a bit of heat in them they would stick like glue, my car pushes 800+ rwhp also, and i could stick first gear on the street on the second hit, now with the m/t's it is very different, i can spin these things at will in first or second, doesn't matter if it's the first, second or third back to back try, now i will admit i have only had the m/t's on for a few hundred miles, but these are my preliminary results. i am currently running 30 psi in them and will drop them to about 23-25 to see if that helps, but i am doubting it, the upside to the m/t's is better predictablity though, as you know they are gonna spin, as the m&h's would sometimes spin on the first hit but with any kinda heat they were great, if i had been driving for awhile and just got some rolling resistance heat in them they wouldn't spin on the first hit, so you didn't always know what you were gonna get. also the difference in height gives the m/t's (26.4") a more solid feel as opposed to the m&h (28") spuishy feel that also would contribute to the unpredictablility especially coming out of a curve, and punching it when the steering wheel isn't straight yet.

as far as rain goes, DON"T even attempt it with the M&H's unless you have to. it is doable, as i did it once and got caught in a down pour on the highway, i had to slow down to about 35-40 and the rearend was moving around pretty good to make my knuckles very white holding the steering wheel. i have yet to try rain with the m/t but have heard nothing better with them, unless i get caught again it most likely won't happen for me to answer that question.

i had 4,897 miles on the M&H's when i took them off, as i keep a log of all mods and current mileage when installed, they were just getting down to the wear markers, which with drag radials we all use them well past those marks, atleast i do, since they only come with 5/32" and the wear marks are at 2/32", i also had 10-20 track passes on them also, all in the mid to high 10 second range.

i swapped out because i really hated that 28" tall tire look on the back of my car. i really wish they would make a shorter tire but all of there sizes equal out to a 28" or bigger tire. otherwise i would not have changed them.

i really expected the m/t's to perform in a similar fashion after reading about them online, and i was able to pick up a used set with only a 100 miles on them for pretty cheap and decided to give them a try

just thought i would share

Brandon

Brandon,

I have the MT 345/35/18, and my results with them are the same as your M&H story. The only difference is, my car is less than 600 rwhp.

I can dead hook in 2nd gear no matter the speed. 1st will spin until I get them hot, then they get sticky and catch.

I would have went with M&H, but as your stated....I too wasn't happy with the idea of 28" tall tire look, and opted for the 27.5" MT.

Another reason why you are killing the 305 MT. They have less cross width, are only 26.5" tall, and effectively giving you a better gear ratio.

Brandon,

I have the MT 345/35/18, and my results with them are the same as your M&H story. The only difference is, my car is less than 600 rwhp.

I can dead hook in 2nd gear no matter the speed. 1st will spin until I get them hot, then they get sticky and catch.

I would have went with M&H, but as your stated....I too wasn't happy with the idea of 28" tall tire look, and opted for the 27.5" MT.

Another reason why you are killing the 305 MT. They have less cross width, are only 26.5" tall, and effectively giving you a better gear ratio.

yep i def felt the gear ratio change too, but i just like the way my car looks with the smaller diameter tire, as i have a 2" drop all the way around, and a 28" tire gives it a racked look, and more like a drag car instead of a street car. i wish someone made a 335/30/18 in a drag radial!!!

yep i def felt the gear ratio change too, but i just like the way my car looks with the smaller diameter tire, as i have a 2" drop all the way around, and a 28" tire gives it a racked look, and more like a drag car instead of a street car. i wish someone made a 335/30/18 in a drag radial!!!

Nitto makes it in the 555R, but the compound isn't soft enough. You would spin them harder than the MT 305s.

Nitto makes it in the 555R, but the compound isn't soft enough. You would spin them harder than the MT 305s.

you are correct, but i don't consider the 555R drag radial as a minimum tire for shelby's, they should be stock on this car, as they serve to be a really good street tire, with decent traction with 450-600 rwhp, anything above that and they are almost useless. although i did run 10.80 with them, but boy was it hard and tidious.

i was gonna try the Toyo Tq 315/35/18 but they were on national backorder and i heard they are not much better than the nitto's.

you are correct, but i don't consider the 555R drag radial as a minimum tire for shelby's, they should be stock on this car, as they serve to be a really good street tire, with decent traction with 450-600 rwhp, anything above that and they are almost useless. although i did run 10.80 with them, but boy was it hard and tidious.

i was gonna try the Toyo Tq 315/35/18 but they were on national backorder and i heard they are not much better than the nitto's.

I have a friend with a 2011 GT500 with the SVTPP, 100% stock. He replaced the factory tires with a nitto 555R drag radial (20"). He dead hooks in 2nd gear now, but I told him.....once he adds a pulley and tune to that car, he would find the limits of those tires.

The Nittos are fine on the street, but only for the power levels you mentioned above. I have exceeded the ability of a 555R, and the NT05R (possibly).

Archived