TEAM SHELBY FORUM

automatic

softy

• 3 months later...

what kind of auto trans does anyone recamend to swap out to?

A 4R70W is your best choice. That way you still have overdrive for road trips. And with the auto you will run quicker and more consistant at the strip.

Heres a link on how I did mine: www.westcentralauto.com/gt500_trans.htm

• 2 months later...

OK, I'm a newbie so be gentle!

I want to pick up a 2008 Shelby GT500 but it HAS to be auto (like I said, be gentle!). I've seen the mod that is suggested above.

Would anyone care to comment on the potential suitability of the TCI 571000 Super StreetFighter Transmission (see http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/571000/10002/-1?parentProductId=757655#moreDetails) and would I be looking at any extensive modifications (versus straightforward mods) to do this?

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I look forward to seeing what you have done. I picked up the Shelby I was looking at and now, I need to look at fulfilling the condition that my wife imposed on me in order to be able to get it!

The tranny is in the car now, having to work out issue with drive-shaft. Otherwise it is going well.

Pictures soon.

Mike

pinion bearing welded it's self to the pincion, so I had to rebuild the rear end... First test drive with the 4r70w today.... without the locking converter... smooth as silk, with the converter locked... look out. Taking it for test and tune friday night. I predict mid to low 6's in the eighth.

Mike.

That's great picking up a 1/2 sec. Congrats. Did you get all the bugs worked out? An did you lose any hp/tq with the new setup?

Still have a couple of bugs to chase down, gonna put it back on the dyno in the next couple of weeks to see what the hp loss is and will post results.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick report for those interested. I have about 11000 mi on mine since I did the conversion to auto. It was the first mod I did to the car. I have to say I am extremely happy I did. Its still holding together and working perfectly. I run it hard every chance I get and go to the strip once in a while. Traction is the only problem I have now even with widened wheels and MT DR's.

I broke the tremec and decided not to put it back in.... I'll get it repaired and store it, but on the strip this auto is INSANE!

Mike

Any reason you didn't look at th 5R55S transmission ??

I have this in my CS6 with the TCI ratchet shifter and it has been great.

That`s the main reason I decided on auto for this build as it was the same tranny in the V6 as the GT had but the manual was much lighter in the V6 then the GT.

I know when I have the GT-500 out for a long trip or in traffic I love nothing more than to get back in the CS6 and go for a nice enjoyable ride...after Woodward I almost needed a left leg amputation..lol

BTW..the CS6 ran a 13.2 quarter with two passengers and a full tank of gas and still managed with the auto tranny to bark the tires on every shift.

Any reason you didn't look at th 5R55S transmission ??

I have this in my CS6 with the TCI ratchet shifter and it has been great.

That`s the main reason I decided on auto for this build as it was the same tranny in the V6 as the GT had but the manual was much lighter in the V6 then the GT.

I know when I have the GT-500 out for a long trip or in traffic I love nothing more than to get back in the CS6 and go for a nice enjoyable ride...after Woodward I almost needed a left leg amputation..lol

BTW..the CS6 ran a 13.2 quarter with two passengers and a full tank of gas and still managed with the auto tranny to bark the tires on every shift.

The 4r70 is just a tougher tranny than the 55 in my opinion.

The 4r70 is just a tougher tranny than the 55 in my opinion.

I JUST got done with my install on a customers 2011 GT500 vert, i went with FB Performance Tansmissions,,, 800-769-1118, 4R70 complete kit, and other than not having cruise control no more, i see no problems with the kit,,,, until someone figures out how to make the 55r bullet proof, the 4r70 is the best choice....

one thing that needed changed out was the hard dipstick for a Lokar flexible one, which made a huge diff on the ease of the job

Archived