TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brembo Front (15"!!) & rear (13"?) brake kit for the GT500

marsh2o

People have asked whether Brembo make a rear brake kit for the GT500. Turns out thety do -- as part of a full package with their 6-piston 15 " front brakes. From the apparent size of the rotors, I'd say it is a 13" kit with 4-piston calipers.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/brembo-front-inch-piston-brake-slotted-ford-mustang-gt500-p-112562.html

The price may choke you, but it looks pretty cool ;-)

post-4140-0-73146400-1297518859_thumb.jpg

post-4140-0-73146400-1297518859_thumb.jpg

People have asked whether Brembo make a rear brake kit for the GT500. Turns out thety do -- as part of a full package with their 6-piston 15 " front brakes. From the apparent size of the rotors, I'd say it is a 13" kit with 4-piston calipers.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/brembo-front-inch-piston-brake-slotted-ford-mustang-gt500-p-112562.html

The price may choke you, but it looks pretty cool ;-)

What's interesting is that they don't say anything about the rear brakes in the description or title. Also I don't see any provision for an e-brake. I'm not sure my wheels would fit over a 15" setup. They are not cheep either...

The rears are slightly larger rotors with a caliper adapter bracket . I went thru their web site and is hard to navigate in it for applications. E-mail sent for more info. I'm in for a set on rears as long as I can do a caliper /rotor swap to match the fronts in black.

What's interesting is that they don't say anything about the rear brakes in the description or title. Also I don't see any provision for an e-brake. I'm not sure my wheels would fit over a 15" setup. They are not cheep either...

You're right, there's not much info, but here is the link for the front 15" brakes alone ($4350):

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/brembo-front-inch-piston-brake-drilled-ford-mustang-gt500-p-112559.html

So the pricing is at least consistent (i.e., roughly twice the price for the front and rear kit).

I'm at least tempted. I believe the Brembo's are the only upgrade breaks available for the GT500 that are TUV certified, which is a big deal if you're importing a car into Europe, which I may do within the next year. the Shelby/Baer kit would certainly be cheaper in the short term, but I would hate to make that investment and find out I had to revert back to my original brakes to get the car to pass inspection in France.

post-4140-0-79162800-1297549686_thumb.jpg

post-4140-0-79162800-1297549686_thumb.jpg

The rears are slightly larger rotors with a caliper adapter bracket . I went thru their web site and is hard to navigate in it for applications. E-mail sent for more info. I'm in for a set on rears as long as I can do a caliper /rotor swap to match the fronts in black.

I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

that price is crazy.. Really how much better can they be???? Modern brakes use ABS so if i get six piston fronts and 4 piston backs it activates the ABS easier???

On a track car I can see having 6 piston they would help in stopping from high speeds back to back but ABS is ABS!!!

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0809_ford_s197_mustang_gt_brake_upgrade/gt500_brake_install_and_test.html

Thank you for your interest in Brembo Brakes for your 2008 Shelby Mustang GT500.

I am sorry, but we do not make a Kit for the rear of the Mustangs. The Ford solid axle shafts moves by over ¼” inside the axle housing. With a floating caliper (like your stock caliper) this movement isn’t an issue, but with a fixed caliper like Brembo’s that have a 2 mm clearance, the rotor will damage the caliper. Most upgrades I have seen don’t provide any real performance gains, though the companies state otherwise. (You can only really do so much with a sliding caliper and Ford has already done all of that.)

The part number 1M2.9031AR is our Front Slotted 15” dia. Disc & Billet Monobloc Calipers Kit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

I am sorry, but we do not make a Kit for the rear of the Mustangs. The part number 1M2.9031AR is our Front Slotted 15” dia. Disc & Billet Monobloc Calipers Kit.

Many thanks, Curt, for checking this out -- it clears up some significant confusion on my part.

Steve

The STILLEN - AP Racing front 6-piston and rear 4-piston brake systems have been available for quite some time now. Any issues that would normally be associated with rear axle float were resolved by design, including 99% elimination of pad knockback. The parking brake function is maintained, although completely revised. Pedal feel, consistency, stability under braking, and heat capacity and rejection are all improved significantly over the OE brake system.

Chris

Archived