TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Top Speed?

Ezareth

Just got a Ford publication in the mail that says the top speed on the 2011 GT500 is 160 and the Boss 302 is 155. Also has a bunch of boring propoganda on the car itself in the magazine but nothing interesting other than that "fact".

Has anyone had a chance to hit the governor on their 2011 GT500 and see what it really is? I don't have the roads around here to safely do that.

Anyone know what the top speed is with the governor disabled?

one of our members did one of those 2 mile runs at an airport in Fl about a year ago--my memory is that he hit 165 with the govenor off--he also put some shielding under the car to improve the aero--he had at une on it as well.That was with a 2010. These cars are not aero friendly,and i would think that would limit the top speed alot

I heard that they reach to speed at the top of 5th, 184 @ the rev limiter.

TrakRat,

Here is a good article from Popular Mechanics concerning a match-up between the 2011 Mustang GT500 and a 2011 Camaro SS on the Great Salt Lake, where the stock Shelby hits the redline limit at 184.7 mph:

http://www.popularme...maro-bonneville

http://www.stangtv.c...eclares-winner/

TrakRat,

Here is a good article concerning the Popular Mechanics 2011 Mustang GT500 match-up with a 2011 Camaro SS on the Great Salt Lake, where the stock Shelby hits the redline limit at 184.7 mph:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/mustang-vs-camaro-bonneville

http://www.stangtv.c...eclares-winner/

Ah yes, I think that is what I read. Thanks!

I have bumped my redline to 6500 with the idea that I *could* break 190. (Hypothetically on a closed course, with a pro driver, yadda yadda) ;)

...These cars are not aero friendly,and i would think that would limit the top speed alot

I'm not so sure about that. If you watched the series "Supercars" Tanner Faust takes a 1000 hp twin-turbo'd 2011 GT500 to a top speed of 190 in the mile run. His comments were that it was a great ride up to speed. I'm fairly certain aero dynamics were not changed on this car.

I have bumped my redline to 6500 with the idea that I *could* break 190. (Hypothetically on a closed course, with a pro driver, yadda yadda) ;)

Are you running 6500 rpm redline stock or with a few mods? Not that I want to bump mine up, but I hit the limiter all the time in the lower gears. Unlike other vehicles in the past, you don't feel a power drop off or hear the engine straining as it climbs. I've actually set my shift lite and buzzer at about 5800 just to keep it off the limiter but I still hit it occasionally. That's on a stock 2011 with no mods.

Are you running 6500 rpm redline stock or with a few mods? Not that I want to bump mine up, but I hit the limiter all the time in the lower gears. Unlike other vehicles in the past, you don't feel a power drop off or hear the engine straining as it climbs. I've actually set my shift lite and buzzer at about 5800 just to keep it off the limiter but I still hit it occasionally. That's on a stock 2011 with no mods.

At this point my car is stock except for a tune. I felt a few extra RPM would be helpful on the road course in a few situations, especially since I'm used to a car that happily lives at 7200 rpm.

I'm not so sure about that. If you watched the series "Supercars" Tanner Faust takes a 1000 hp twin-turbo'd 2011 GT500 to a top speed of 190 in the mile run. His comments were that it was a great ride up to speed. I'm fairly certain aero dynamics were not changed on this car.

Ok, lets see now, Tanner hits 190 with 1000hp going full out,and some hit 180 with a stock car---HMMM!I know some of the 11s have a sealed undercarriage, maybe that makes the diff--but not a 10

Just got a Ford publication in the mail that says the top speed on the 2011 GT500 is 160 and the Boss 302 is 155. Also has a bunch of boring propoganda on the car itself in the magazine but nothing interesting other than that "fact".

Has anyone had a chance to hit the governor on their 2011 GT500 and see what it really is? I don't have the roads around here to safely do that.

I got the same booklet in the mail and also noticed the same "fact" regarding the 2011 top speed of 160 mph vs. the 2010's top speed of 155 mph.

I *know* the 2010 is speed limited to 155 MPH from the factory and it has been tested/proven by quite a few TS members with their speed indicated with a GPS. The in-dash speed indicator (speedometer) is NOT accurate so anyone claiming XXX mph (anything over 155) by the speedo needs to realize that they are NOT going to get their car past 155 without first removing the OE speed limiter or modifying the VSS to fool the PCU.

I would however like to hear from anyone with a GPS in their 2011 that has topped out their car to see of the stated 160 MPH is true or just more Ford hype.

TIA,

Phill

Ok, lets see now, Tanner hits 190 with 1000hp going full out,and some hit 180 with a stock car---HMMM!I know some of the 11s have a sealed undercarriage, maybe that makes the diff--but not a 10

As I remember it, when Tanner hit 190 with 1000hp, that was the speed at the end of a standing mile, not the actual top speed of the car. They didn't say what the top speed was.

I got the same booklet in the mail and also noticed the same "fact" regarding the 2011 top speed of 160 mph vs. the 2010's top speed of 155 mph.

I *know* the 2010 is speed limited to 155 MPH from the factory and it has been tested/proven by quite a few TS members with their speed indicated with a GPS. The in-dash speed indicator (speedometer) is NOT accurate so anyone claiming XXX mph (anything over 155) by the speedo needs to realize that they are NOT going to get their car past 155 without first removing the OE speed limiter or modifying the VSS to fool the PCU.

I would however like to hear from anyone with a GPS in their 2011 that has topped out their car to see of the stated 160 MPH is true or just more Ford hype.

TIA,

Phill

What is VSS?

What is VSS?

VSS=Vehicle Speed Sensor.

If you cut every other tooth off of the tone ring (the ring on the output shaft in the trans) the VSS will tell the ECU that you are only going half as fast as you really are so your speed limiter wouldn't kick in until 310 mph! In other words, it won't limit the vehicle speed to 155mph like the OEM PCU does and since there's no way in hell a Mustang COULD ever hit 310mph, it will allow you to hit terminal speed unlimited.

Just use a windshield mounted GPS unit for your TRUE vehicle speed, which IS accurate.

There's more than one way to skin a cat....

Phill

203MPH. was red lining at 6500. Had a 3.6 LC KB on top with some other mods.

Here is a link to the thread. http://www.teamshelb...-900-hp-36l-kb/

edit: sorry that one is a 2012, but im sure same thing will do for a 2011

That's on a DYNO with no wind resistence and half as much rolling resistence!

That is NOT the same thing as top speed on a track.

Phill

thats more like it--hopeit was a closed course. Stock, correct??was giovernor turned off

No that was in my 96 Cobra, very modified with 313 rwhp. I have to wait about 6 months before I get another chance with the Shelby.

FYI

GY F1 tires have a "Z" rating with a "W" service description. This means the tires are rated for more than 149mph, "Z", and the "W" is maxed at 168mph.

The GY F1 G2 tires have a "Z" rating with a "Y service description. same except "Y" is good to 186mph.

Just thought y'all would want to know before you take limiters off and go to that top end, however, the G2's seem to be perfectly matched, speedwise to any current model GT500.

VSS=Vehicle Speed Sensor.

If you cut every other tooth off of the tone ring (the ring on the output shaft in the trans) the VSS will tell the ECU that you are only going half as fast as you really are so your speed limiter wouldn't kick in until 310 mph! In other words, it won't limit the vehicle speed to 155mph like the OEM PCU does and since there's no way in hell a Mustang COULD ever hit 310mph, it will allow you to hit terminal speed unlimited.

Just use a windshield mounted GPS unit for your TRUE vehicle speed, which IS accurate.

There's more than one way to skin a cat....

Phill

Haha! Gotta love it! Wonder if it could be done electronically, with a little box or something on the VSS sensor connector.

I be driving my 2010 GT500 since almost one year now in Germany on the Autobahn and on the Nürburgring.

So far my numbers for the 2010 are 191.33 mph on the Autobahn and 186.26 on the Nürburgring.

I also had a 2011 GT500 with SVT package for some days for test driving and the numbers are almost the same (191.86 on the Autobahn and 186.25 mph on the Nürburgring), but I must say the aerodynamics feeling was better with the 2011 on the Autobahn.

Because about the bad aerodynamics from the GT500's I must warn everybody to drive faster then 160 mph for a long time if you be not a good driver because the handling is getting really bad.

Archived