TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To Drive or not To Drive?

ShelbyEra08

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dRPSIQ252BSIQ26ituQ3dUCPQ252BUAQ252BMAGEXPQ252BUCIQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d10Q26pmodQ3d290530442462Q26poQ3dLPVQ252BLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d6968866185878299743QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em263QQcategoryZ6236QQitemZ130484503406

Found on ebay a 14 mile 2007 Shelby GT, so would yall drive a brand an older "new" car still in the plastics? There was good a number of cars at B-J Scottsdale still had their plastics.

I waffle either way.....

As my GT500 ages, with just 3200 on it now, and gonna be 4yo on April 3rd.....I am of the thinking that I am wasting it by NOT driving it. And yes, Carroll is a frim believer in driving his cars! WTH are they built for, if not for the use, right? One school of thought, for sure.

:headscratch: Dunno?

BTW- I would probably take the SALEEN Parnelli sitting next to it first. Sorry. :(

This car appears to be at a Ford dealership so good chance its still on MSO. Almost looks like the dealership was going to hold onto the car but changed their mind and are now offering it for sale.

Seems like a good price to me to be able to walk into a Ford dealership today and purchase a brand new Shelby GT.

Steve

DRIVE IT!!!

Not driving your new Shelby is like being married to the hottest girl on the planet and not having sex with her cause you dont want to "put any miles" on her. :confused: Its CRAZY!

Now if you have a 65 GT350, thats a different argument, but a new one, one of however many thousand that were built??? Maybe you can sell it in 10 or 15 years and make a few thousand $ - MAYBE. You'd still have been better to drive it (hard) and ENJOY it.

Life is short and you never know what will happen. Live for the experience, not the money. A huge bank account does you little good in an oncologists office or a hospital ER or a casket.

:soapbox: rant over..... :hysterical:

You can't drive them when you are dead, so drive them and enjoy them!!!

Larry...my wife has been instructed by me, to cremate me and put my ashes in the tank of the 500...a small amount of course, as not to clog the injectors! :hysterical:

Seriously though...

:salute:

DRIVE IT!!!

Not driving your new Shelby is like being married to the hottest girl on the planet and not having sex with her cause you dont want to "put any miles" on her. :confused: Its CRAZY!

Now if you have a 65 GT350, thats a different argument, but a new one, one of however many thousand that were built??? Maybe you can sell it in 10 or 15 years and make a few thousand $ - MAYBE. You'd still have been better to drive it (hard) and ENJOY it.

Life is short and you never know what will happen. Live for the experience, not the money. A huge bank account does you little good in an oncologists office or a hospital ER or a casket.

:soapbox: rant over..... :hysterical:

Well put +1

DRIVE IT!

Somebody else can take the time in 20-30 years to restore it and put it on display...

For me, I have purposely left all my "track" sticker on the car/windshield for a reason...

Oh and if anybody happens to find a few "time slips" in my glove box, I hope you'll still be able to read them shift.gif

Gregg

07SGT0547

I agree with the thought that these cars should be driven. Maybe they'll be worth 2x's what we bought them for at some point, but only after the price of everything has gone up 10x's due to inflation.

My reason for keeping lower miles is that I'm not counting on being in the position to own another one again in my lifetime, so I want the vehicle to last for a loooong time. That means I probably will never race the car lest I do some sort of mechanical or body damage that I would regret. I would like to track it though to open it up safely without fear of getting arrested :happy feet:

In 20 years will the car be worth more with 14 miles on it or 140k on it? I always look at it like this.......................the guy spending the cash can do whatever he wants to do with it, drive it or not drive it.

:shift:

You guys know I drive mine every day in Chicago. Yes, even in the blizzard. One could say that a GTH is collectable due to low numbers. I feel that since it was a rental, why not enjoy it. Kids want to get in with a coke? Sure! It was a rental, who knows what was done in it. I have restored 30's to 60's cars that were rust buckets into pristine condition many years later.

So, if you see the idiot driving his Shelby with snow and salt crusted all over it - thats me. And I love every day of it.

So you are not totally freaked out, I do wash it once a week with touchless wash to keep the salt from layering.

That is the reason I bought it. It was not perfect. It was a rental. And I wanted to drive it.

My 2 cents. Casey

I waffle either way.....

As my GT500 ages, with just 3200 on it now, and gonna be 4yo on April 3rd.....I am of the thinking that I am wasting it by NOT driving it. And yes, Carroll is a frim believer in driving his cars! WTH are they built for, if not for the use, right? One school of thought, for sure.

:headscratch: Dunno?

BTW- I would probably take the SALEEN Parnelli sitting next to it first. Sorry. :(

Here she is...$49k takes it home

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Saleen-302PJ-Parnelli-Jones-Saleen-Low-miles-Like-New-Collectors-/130446776745?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e5f3bd9a9

I agree with the thought that these cars should be driven. Maybe they'll be worth 2x's what we bought them for at some point, but only after the price of everything has gone up 10x's due to inflation.

My reason for keeping lower miles is that I'm not counting on being in the position to own another one again in my lifetime, so I want the vehicle to last for a loooong time. That means I probably will never race the car lest I do some sort of mechanical or body damage that I would regret. I would like to track it though to open it up safely without fear of getting arrested happy feet.gif

Thats what full coverage insurance is for my friend. For a little extra you can even get replacement coverage and coverage for track events.

In 20 years will the car be worth more with 14 miles on it or 140k on it? I always look at it like this.......................the guy spending the cash can do whatever he wants to do with it, drive it or not drive it.

Who cares? Why waste 20 years not driving a car that was ment to be driven. Of course you can do what ever you want with it. Just because you CAN do something does not mean you should or that it is a good idea.

DRIVE IT!!!

Life is short and you never know what will happen. Live for the experience, not the money. A huge bank account does you little good in an oncologists office or a hospital ER or a casket

Some good advice in this thread, but this takes the cake!

No matter what, these cars will depreciate for the next 15-20 years.. Factor in the inflation rate, and really, how much of an investment are today's cars going to be? Sure, there are rare instances with super-collectible cars rolling out of factories today, but isn't it going to be much more fun telling stories about experiences in your car?

30 years from now, at a car show:

A: car with 14 miles -

"Well, it was of utmost importance to preserve this SGT - I had to ensure that the storage building was weatherproof, and kept free of rodents. The car itself sat there. Parked. For 30 years. But I did start her up every so often - what a sound! That, of course, is when there was gas in the tank - that had to be emptied. I spent lots of money over the years on rodent traps, mothballs, insurance, electricity for maintaining the proper climate, etc. But boy, it was worth it.. I'm thirty years older than when I bought this car.. and I am just now able to possibly make some profit. Of course I suppose I can trailer her to a few shows and have a magazine spread."

B: my car, or any other SGT that has been ENJOYED -

"You can't take it with you when you go. Whether I bought an '07 SGT, or any other model year '07 vehicle, I would have lost money. $40k on a Mustang, or $40k on a nice F150? It's a no-brainer. I can tell you about all of the times I've taken the car to work, or that trip to Vegas doing 110.. And let's not forget the thumbs up and compliments (even from females!) on an almost daily basis. So the paint has some scratches, the wheels have some road rash, and the front end is chipped all to hell.. those are battle scars! It adds character to the car. I've made INVESTMENTS in life.. in IRAs, in the stock market, and with home equity.."

:slapfight:

:shift::shift::shift:

Some good advice in this thread, but this takes the cake!

No matter what, these cars will depreciate for the next 15-20 years.. Factor in the inflation rate, and really, how much of an investment are today's cars going to be? Sure, there are rare instances with super-collectible cars rolling out of factories today, but isn't it going to be much more fun telling stories about experiences in your car?

30 years from now, at a car show:

A: car with 14 miles -

"Well, it was of utmost importance to preserve this SGT - I had to ensure that the storage building was weatherproof, and kept free of rodents. The car itself sat there. Parked. For 30 years. But I did start her up every so often - what a sound! That, of course, is when there was gas in the tank - that had to be emptied. I spent lots of money over the years on rodent traps, mothballs, insurance, electricity for maintaining the proper climate, etc. But boy, it was worth it.. I'm thirty years older than when I bought this car.. and I am just now able to possibly make some profit. Of course I suppose I can trailer her to a few shows and have a magazine spread."

B: my car, or any other SGT that has been ENJOYED -

"You can't take it with you when you go. Whether I bought an '07 SGT, or any other model year '07 vehicle, I would have lost money. $40k on a Mustang, or $40k on a nice F150? It's a no-brainer. I can tell you about all of the times I've taken the car to work, or that trip to Vegas doing 110.. And let's not forget the thumbs up and compliments (even from females!) on an almost daily basis. So the paint has some scratches, the wheels have some road rash, and the front end is chipped all to hell.. those are battle scars! It adds character to the car. I've made INVESTMENTS in life.. in IRAs, in the stock market, and with home equity.."

:slapfight:

:shift::shift::shift:

That was simply beautiful....I can't wait to drive my Shelby home from work today!

Archived