TEAM SHELBY FORUM

America's Coolest Ghost Towns: Terlingua, TX #3

robertlane

During the early 20th century this town was a hotbed for mercury, but production dwindled and the town basically died out by the 1940s. But in the 1970s, the lightly populated town found a new kind of heat: it became the home of a now famous chili cook-off. Terlingua’s old church is currently being restored, according to a representative from the town, but the favorite sightseeing activity is still “to come sit on the porch of the Terlingua Trading Company, have a cold refreshment, visit with people, and watch the sunset.”

Closest Civilization: Big Bend National Park.

Link

During the early 20th century this town was a hotbed for mercury, but production dwindled and the town basically died out by the 1940s. But in the 1970s, the lightly populated town found a new kind of heat: it became the home of a now famous chili cook-off. Terlingua’s old church is currently being restored, according to a representative from the town, but the favorite sightseeing activity is still “to come sit on the porch of the Terlingua Trading Company, have a cold refreshment, visit with people, and watch the sunset.”

Link

Nice!

Closest civilization BBNP?! :hysterical:

Less people live there than Terlingua! I would have to ammend that to Alpine for a population over 1000 requirement. Even then, Midland Odessa is your closest Walmart (or hospital)

Hey now :hysterical: I am in Big Bend National Park during the weekdays and Terlingua on the weekend and I even have a Shelby garaged there - that has to count for at least two people LMAO...

David

Link

sweeeeeeet! :superhero:

• 3 weeks later...

Nope - that would be Ojinaga/Presidio to the west or towns north as Dubs stated.

Other than your respectful October 75 bump, lets hope Terlingua never becomes civilized!

Donnymac,

All well said.

In fact, Terlingua event fans, I am heading into Mexico tomorrow for that most excellent moon shine some of you enjoyed last year! It was raved about by all before it ran out - about ten minutes after both were opened.

I have several extra people coming with me so there will be more this year.! No one was intentually left out of this opportunity, it was first come, first served. I plan to broaden the offerings this year as well - so plan to be around for the evening fun! :happy feet:

David

Archived