TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cost of a replacement SS center cap - Alcoa wheel

Has anyone purchased a replacement Super Snake center cap for an Alcoa? If so, what do they cost?

Thanks, R

I just got a set for free. I called Shelby and told them that the 2 on the front had appeared to have melted and wouldn't stay in anymore and they sent me a set for free as warranty. Great customer service!!! I offered to send my set back to them to keep all the SS stuff outta circulation and they said that I didn't have to.

BJ

I just got a set for free. I called Shelby and told them that the 2 on the front had appeared to have melted ....

They MELTED???

That's not good. I'll have to assume that the Baer's along with the Alcoa's played a part in that since it was just the front.

I'm in the process of putting a set of Shelby/Baer 6S Big Brakes on the front of my 2010 GT500 and a set of 18" Alcoa's.

I'm using the OEM SVT center caps which I assume are the same as the Shelby SS type caps so I'll be sure to watch my front caps CLOSELY.

Thanks for the heads-up,

Phill

They MELTED???

That's not good. I'll have to assume that the Baer's along with the Alcoa's played a part in that since it was just the front.

I'm in the process of putting a set of Shelby/Baer 6S Big Brakes on the front of my 2010 GT500 and a set of 18" Alcoa's.

I'm using the OEM SVT center caps which I assume are the same as the Shelby SS type caps so I'll be sure to watch my front caps CLOSELY.

Thanks for the heads-up,

Phill

Phill, YES. They melted. I normally run the stock GT-500 wheels on the track. But I had a problem w/one of the wheels at the last minute and didn't have time to get it corrected. So I ran the SS wheels. BTW, I destroyed the front tires in just 2 days. WAAAAY too narrow for serious track running. Since I've never run the 20's before, I didn't even think about taking the center caps out. I got lucky. The 2 front caps fell out in the garage after the 2nd session. Once the cooled off, I examined them and they were melted and deformed. I guess the heat generated by the brakes did them in.

BJ

Phill, YES. They melted. I normally run the stock GT-500 wheels on the track. But I had a problem w/one of the wheels at the last minute and didn't have time to get it corrected. So I ran the SS wheels. BTW, I destroyed the front tires in just 2 days. WAAAAY too narrow for serious track running. Since I've never run the 20's before, I didn't even think about taking the center caps out. I got lucky. The 2 front caps fell out in the garage after the 2nd session. Once the cooled off, I examined them and they were melted and deformed. I guess the heat generated by the brakes did them in.

BJ

Makes you wonder what would have happened if the car did not have brake cooling ducts?

R

Phill, YES. They melted. I normally run the stock GT-500 wheels on the track. But I had a problem w/one of the wheels at the last minute and didn't have time to get it corrected. So I ran the SS wheels.

Note to self:

SELF; Remove SVT center caps from Alcoa's before tracking car!

Phew,

Phill

So I ran the SS wheels. BTW, I destroyed the front tires in just 2 days. WAAAAY too narrow for serious track running. Since I've never run the 20's before, I didn't even think about taking the center caps out.

BJ

So the addition of 275's, wider rubber in comparision to the 255's, will help the car to stop quicker/sooner and require less brake which equals less heat build-up?

R

All of mine do that. Also the clear on them is peeling off.

Mine appeared to have clear peeling, but then I realized that there was a clear protective cover that was discoloring, or not really discolored, but not clear. The thin covering peeled off on my caps.

R

Mine appeared to have clear peeling, but then I realized that there was a clear protective cover that was discoloring, or not really discolored, but not clear. The thin covering peeled off on my caps.

R

I don't know if you all realize it, but your stock/OEM center caps work perfect on the Alcoa's.

If you want OEM SVT quality, you can use them in place of the Shelby Super Snake, KR, Cobra, etc. caps. I've never heard of any OE caps with any of the problems being reported here so......

See attached photo:

Phill

post-26522-0-03153300-1297894620_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-61962500-1297894639_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-03153300-1297894620_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-61962500-1297894639_thumb.jpg

I don't know if you all realize it, but your stock/OEM center caps work perfect on the Alcoa's.

If you want OEM SVT quality, you can use them in place of the Shelby Super Snake, KR, Cobra, etc. caps. I've never heard of any OE caps with any of the problems being reported here so......

See attached photo:

Phill

I did not realize that the Alcoas were also 2.50", I had not measured/compared them with the SVT caps. Thanks for the info.

The cap shown below are also a nice for the Alcoa wheel, and they fit Tight!!

Picture1933-1-1.jpg

R

• 9 months later...

So I've got my alcoa's on order as of a couple days ago. I heard they are not making them anymore so I figured I better get them while I still can. Where can I get those ALCOA caps shown above? Do stock SVT caps work? I heard a rumor they don't work. And the link below are for modified SVT caps for alcoa rims but they cost a grip 180.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130604151406&category=43961&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

So I've got my alcoa's on order as of a couple days ago. I heard they are not making them anymore so I figured I better get them while I still can. Where can I get those ALCOA caps shown above? Do stock SVT caps work? I heard a rumor they don't work. And the link below are for modified SVT caps for alcoa rims but they cost a grip 180.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/...d=p5197.c0.m619

You missed these two sets.................

http://www.ebay.com/...=item519c29ad43

http://www.ebay.com/...=item519c079d08

As for the "Alcoa" caps, that was the only set I have seen. They may be out there, but I had not seen them before I bought those Super Snake wheels, and I haven't seen them since.

As for the 2.5" OEM SVT center caps fitting the Alcoa's, no they do not fit. I test fitted a SVT cap to an Alcoa a couple of weeks ago.

R

As for the 2.5" OEM SVT center caps fitting the Alcoa's, no they do not fit. I test fitted a SVT cap to an Alcoa a couple of weeks ago.

To be more specific, the OEM SVT Center caps DO fit the Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels....but only the GT500KR Dura-Bright wheels.

I lumped all of the Dura-Bright wheels into one catagory in my previous post before I realized that the OEM SVT caps DO NOT FIT the Super Snake or the Super Snake STYLE (non SS badged Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels).

I have a set of 18" Alcoa Dura-Bright GT500KR wheels on my 2010 GT500 and my stock/OEM SVT caps fit perfectly.

My opininion is that Shelby had the SS/SS Style Alcoa's made with a different size center cap hole so you were limited to buying center caps from them (since you can't use the FoMoCo/SVT caps on them).

I just wanted to be more clear on the issue,

Phill

To be more specific, the OEM SVT Center caps DO fit the Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels....but only the GT500KR Dura-Bright wheels.

I lumped all of the Dura-Bright wheels into one catagory in my previous post before I realized that the OEM SVT caps DO NOT FIT the Super Snake or the Super Snake STYLE (non SS badged Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels).

I have a set of 18" Alcoa Dura-Bright GT500KR wheels on my 2010 GT500 and my stock/OEM SVT caps fit perfectly.

My opininion is that Shelby had the SS/SS Style Alcoa's made with a different size center cap hole so you were limited to buying center caps from them (since you can't use the FoMoCo/SVT caps on them).

I just wanted to be more clear on the issue,

Phill

Thank you for that info. I did not realize that the KR 18" Alcoa's were a different center hole. Apparently the KR Alcoa's were forged to Ford specs, the Super Snake Alcoa's and the SPP replacements were forged to Shelby specs., makes sense.

My test fitting was on a 20" Super Snake Alcoa. The SVT cap would fit into the hole, but it was loose.

A few months ago, when I had just finished my Alcoa widening project on my spare set of Alcoa's, a full set of new/correct Drake Super Snake center caps came up on eBay for a Buy It Now of $125, or maybe it was $150. The auction had only been listed for about an hour of its 7 day run. I quickly bought them at that price!!

R

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know who makes the center caps that will fit the Supersnake wheels. I purchased a set of black alcoas for my 09 SS but shelby will not sell me a set of SS center caps that will work because they are only for the "10-12" vehicles.

Does anyone know who makes the center caps that will fit the Supersnake wheels. I purchased a set of black alcoas for my 09 SS but shelby will not sell me a set of SS center caps that will work because they are only for the "10-12" vehicles.

I saw a set of Black Alcoa center caps on eBay recently for approx. $1000. Let me do some research................

No, it has been too long, they are no longer listed in the "completed auctions" section of eBay.

I saw the Black set at the same time that the polished sets linked above sold, but I don't think the Black set sold, I could be wrong.

R

• 2 months later...

Notice mine were melted when cleaning the car up yesterday. Fronts only. Must have been from tracking the car last summer.

The amount of heat radiated from the front wheels when you get off the track is incredible! didnt realize that it would actually melt the caps though....

Ron

Does anyone know who makes the center caps that will fit the Supersnake wheels.

Scott Drake makes the Shelby Super Snake center caps and the Shelby Super Snake *style* center caps for Shelby. Says so right on the inside of the caps.

Phill

Archived