TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Torsen T-2 for 2011 GT500

Madlock

The more I bring myself up to speed, the more I like about the 2012's Torsen differential - which should have a terrific impact upon cornering and push through turns on the outer rear tire. It also seems to be a terrific bang-for-buck proposition if my presumptions are correct. I'm trying to prep my parts list and would appreciate any guidance that might help verify (or correct) my presumptions.

I began by consulting the 2011 Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog and found the T-4204-T31 Torsen T2 differential. Is this the stock differential being used for the 2012 GT500? Would this be the correct part and all that I should need?

The reason I ask is because the FordParts.com site offers some conflicting information. I tried accessing part information by 2012 GT500. The stock, limited-slip differential (for both 2011 and 2012) is listed as 7R3Z4026A. However, the only Torsen differential I could find under an OE part would be as an entire differential assembly that includes the 3.73 gearing as part CR3Z4026A. As expected, the entire assembly costs almost twice as much.

That would seem to indicate the 2012 GT500 only comes with a Torsen differential with the SVTPP - and the baseline GT500 will have the traditional limited-slip differential. Is this correct from what everybody else has heard/knows? If so, it would certainly lend some additional value to the SVTPP beyond the 3.73 and tires.

The more I bring myself up to speed, the more I like about the 2012's Torsen differential - which should have a terrific impact upon cornering and push through turns on the outer rear tire. It also seems to be a terrific bang-for-buck proposition if my presumptions are correct. I'm trying to prep my parts list and would appreciate any guidance that might help verify (or correct) my presumptions.

I began by consulting the 2011 Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog and found the T-4204-T31 Torsen T2 differential. Is this the stock differential being used for the 2012 GT500? Would this be the correct part and all that I should need?

The reason I ask is because the FordParts.com site offers some conflicting information. I tried accessing part information by 2012 GT500. The stock, limited-slip differential (for both 2011 and 2012) is listed as 7R3Z4026A. However, the only Torsen differential I could find under an OE part would be as an entire differential assembly that includes the 3.73 gearing as part CR3Z4026A. As expected, the entire assembly costs almost twice as much.

That would seem to indicate the 2012 GT500 only comes with a Torsen differential with the SVTPP - and the baseline GT500 will have the traditional limited-slip differential. Is this correct from what everybody else has heard/knows? If so, it would certainly lend some additional value to the SVTPP beyond the 3.73 and tires.

Call the Ford Racing Performance Parts tech line - 1-800-FORD788. They are very helpful.

I am having Shelby Motorsports install a T-2 in my 350, along with Moser axles and welded axle tubes. After driving a friends Lightning with a Torsen, I was sold.

My 2010 Super Snake has had a Torsen T2R re-used the 3:73 and had FRRP rear diff support. What a difference in preformance and hooks up so much I need a upper third link now. I imagine thats a good thing even thou it mean more hard earned money spent lol. All parts were from Ford Racing through Rehagen Racing Livonia, MI. All there teams cars use Torsen T2R set ups, Dean Martin hooked me up through my friend thats was head of Ford Racing now Head of Ford NASCAR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The T4204-T31 is a Torsen T2R differential with the proper bias ratio for your 2008 and was used through out in the fr500s and fr500c cars. Get that one from FRPP through Tousley Ford and put er in . I promise you that you won't be disapointed. I put it in my 2007 GT500 along with the Moser axles and ARP wheel studs along with the FRPP open end lug nuts and the front FRPP FR500s wheel bearing/hubs .

• 1 month later...

I have the T2R in my 2011 and it was an easy install and it has no effect on the TCS that I can tell. When cornering you can fell the back end of the car want to properly rotate through the corner and you get power to the correct wheel(s) all the time.

Huge thumbs up.

"That would seem to indicate the 2012 GT500 only comes with a Torsen differential with the SVTPP - and the baseline GT500 will have the traditional limited-slip differential. Is this correct from what everybody else has heard/knows? If so, it would certainly lend some additional value to the SVTPP beyond the 3.73 and tires. "

Is that right?

I thought only the Boss could come with the torsen in 2012 (optional on the regular Boss and Std on the LS)...

• 2 weeks later...

so then this is a direct fit part? i wouldn't need to worry about checking any tolerances?

There is no direct fit part in a rear axle.

Due to machining tolerances you always have to set up a rear axle when you swap the differential or the gears.

Pinion depth and side shimming of the carrier.

Archived