TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spare Tire

ati

I'm planing on taking a few trips this spring and the thought of no spare tire and only a can of "Fix O Flat" bothers me.

I'm thinking about buying a new front tire and rim and using that as my spare.

My Shelby is in storage now so I don't have easy access to it.

Does anyone know if the Shelby front tire and rim will fit in the spare tire well?

Does anyone know if the jack from a 07 mustang will work on the Shelby.

Here are my thoughts:

If I get a flat on the front the spare will work perfect.

If I get a flat on the rear the (front tire size spare) would get me home or to a repair center to have it fixed or replaced correctly.

What Do You Guys Think???

Alan

On one of the fourms I frequent, some guy bought a knockoff GT500 wheel and an inexpensive tire. IIRC, he said it fit. I don't remember where I saw it. Prob either here or tms.

I know that the front tire would work for the rear because one member on here said he drove around for over 1000 miles with a car that had 2 front tires on the front and 1 front and 1 rear in the rear. I dont remember who it was but i believe he didnt notice the difference until he closely inspected and noticed he had 3 front tires and one rear. As far as storing it.... maybe u can just put it in the trunk unless u will have luggage or put it in the back seats... (not something i would want to do tho) just make sure u cover the seats well and perhaps buckle up the tire!

I know that the front tire would work for the rear because one member on here said he drove around for over 1000 miles with a car that had 2 front tires on the front and 1 front and 1 rear in the rear. I dont remember who it was but i believe he didnt notice the difference until he closely inspected and noticed he had 3 front tires and one rear. As far as storing it.... maybe u can just put it in the trunk unless u will have luggage or put it in the back seats... (not something i would want to do tho) just make sure u cover the seats well and perhaps buckle up the tire!

I'm the fool you're speaking of with the three "front tire" size tires. I figured I would just put my spare wheel and tire in the trunk and luggage space be darned.

By the way, my ABS sensor never tripped. It's either very understanding or it was never hooked up. We'll find out soon when I take my car to the dealer on 3/12 to get the tire situation straightened out.

I couldn't find it. I'm sure the guy bought a GT500 wheel and an inexpensive performance (oxymoron) tire. I did find a thread on a Roush site where a guy modified his trunk to fit one. I thought it looked pretty nice.

Roush Site

I'm the fool you're speaking of with the three "front tire" size tires. I figured I would just put my spare wheel and tire in the trunk and luggage space be darned.

By the way, my ABS sensor never tripped. It's either very understanding or it was never hooked up. We'll find out soon when I take my car to the dealer on 3/12 to get the tire situation straightened out.

haha, i never said fool or meant for it to sound like i was refering to you as one. I can understand how one might not see it seeing as its something you would expect no one could be dumb enough to F#(k up at the factory. But if you were going to use a spare id suggest a front spare because i dont think a rear spare could be used on both front and rear. Plus you will most likely only use it to limp ure car to a shop to get the right size so i see there being no real damage being done. My 02/100

In all reality you do not want to run two diferent size tires out back. Your posi will hate you.

IM not sure what the ABS will think.

I'm not sure I understand this. When you go around any corner or bend, don't your wheels travel different speeds? How would this be any different? I don't think driving a SHORT distance on a different sized spare would hurt anything.

Dave

I'm not sure I understand this. When you go around any corner or bend, don't your wheels travel different speeds? How would this be any different? I don't think driving a SHORT distance on a different sized spare would hurt anything.

Dave

I really don't think there is much total height difference between the front and back anyway. Plus, the smaller temporary spares have been in use for a long time, on all types of cars, even those with posi rear ends.

Front and rear tire diameters are nearly identical - I don't have the difference handy, but it's quite small. TireRack has a calculator that allows you to compute this. I think my wife's 2001 V6 tires are larger in diameter, though only just, as I recall.

I want to do the same thing since I put a lot of miles on the car. The only thing I can think of is that even the front tires on the GT500 are wider than the regular GT due to the 9.5" rims (though not much different in diameter) and so they should fit in the well in the trunk, but may raise the floor level over the tire an inch or two. Obviously one would remove the electric fix a flat can and put in a jack and lugnut wrench. Still, I'd like to know if someone has tried the fit before I buy a new rim and tire.

Dave -

Yes it's the same as going around a corner, but when you keep doing it for some distance, the limited slip clutches heat up because they are continually slipping. I can tell you for sure that if you do a lot of twisty roads driving, the diff will heat up. Not sure how much they can tolerate. Obviously you'd have the same problem if you replaced a tire on one side that had 20K miles with a new one and didn't replace the other side's worn (20K miles) tire.

I really don't think there is much total height difference between the front and back anyway. Plus, the smaller temporary spares have been in use for a long time, on all types of cars, even those with posi rear ends.

True, But those mini spares are for for very short drives. One wont drive home to Michigan from Ky. on a mini spare.

Front tire dia.=27.035 width 10.039

rear tire dia. =26.976 width 11.20

Using tire rack for the O.E. tire size and american racing for their calculator. I guess you would be ok. But I would hate the fact of doing it. Just baby the crap out of it, And treat it like its a mini spare. I think we should find a mini spare pic for him to put on the steering wheel for a reminder. ;)

(these are just my opinions, Im not going after anyone here)

I have had several mention that they think a front size tire on the rear temporarily would be fine at 50 mph. The scary thing (don't tell the dealer) is that in the 1400 miles I have on my mismatched tires (just discovered the size thing last week), I have seen 100 mph several times. :D

My thought is that a tire sized for the front should be safe enough for most distances it would take to get you to a competent tire shop.

CB

wildosvt -

Thanks for the dimensions. Just about 1/16" difference in diameter. So, for those who aren't math majors like me, that means the front tires turn about 1.64 turns less in a mile than the rears. So the clutch pack in the diff would slip (right axle compared to left) 1.64 turns in a mile if you had one new front tire and one new rear tire on the rear and you drove straight, etc, etc. Probably not enough to overheat it. Of course that's before you leave your rear tread all over the place as a calling card, so the difference would be a bit greater for used tires. Warning: Your results may vary, don't try this at home, done by a professional driver on a closed course, etc., etc. Still, I see no problem driving around for a little while with a front on the rear as a spare. If the tire is trashed, it'll take a couple of days to get a new one shipped anyway in most cases. (Conversation with tire store guy: "Yah, we keep that tire stocked cuz we get lots of calls for it. In fact, we're running a special on them right now - 45% off.)

Front and rear tire diameters are nearly identical - I don't have the difference handy, but it's quite small. TireRack has a calculator that allows you to compute this. I think my wife's 2001 V6 tires are larger in diameter, though only just, as I recall.

I want to do the same thing since I put a lot of miles on the car. The only thing I can think of is that even the front tires on the GT500 are wider than the regular GT due to the 9.5" rims (though not much different in diameter) and so they should fit in the well in the trunk, but may raise the floor level over the tire an inch or two. Obviously one would remove the electric fix a flat can and put in a jack and lugnut wrench. Still, I'd like to know if someone has tried the fit before I buy a new rim and tire.

Dave -

Yes it's the same as going around a corner, but when you keep doing it for some distance, the limited slip clutches heat up because they are continually slipping. I can tell you for sure that if you do a lot of twisty roads driving, the diff will heat up. Not sure how much they can tolerate. Obviously you'd have the same problem if you replaced a tire on one side that had 20K miles with a new one and didn't replace the other side's worn (20K miles) tire.

Thanks Three. The real solution then would be to drive around a bend at a radius that Dan can calculate, that would have both tires spinning the same speed. In other words, if you put a short spare on the right rear, then turn right all the way home and the wheels will turn the same speed. :hysterical2: Come on Dan...figure that equation out for us. :hysterical:

Dave

Dave -

Dan would have to be a wizard. There is no radius that will work. I know, I know. I SEEMS as though there should be a radius where everything is in perfect harmony. Not so. The problem is that the car's rear track is fixed at 62.5". Whether the circumference of the circle the outer tire takes is one mile, two miles, or zero miles, the circumference of the inner circle is always about 32 3/4 feet less.

No chance. Whether you mean a safety spare or a regular rim, must be an 18" with proper offset. I suppose something 18" might fit with a spacer, just not sure if you'd actually be money ahead - maybe another Ford product has 18" wheels with the right bolt circle, to which you could apply a spacer as a 'get home' capability only.

I thought that was proven to be incorrect? Wasn't it really some type of harness for a trunk mounted CD changer? Geesh, I'm confused.

Dave

I looked up the wiring diagram, and they seem to be for the two fuel pumps. All of the wiring harness for the shaker 1000 is on the passenger side.

Archived