TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Performance - bang for your buck

NMAv

Ok, before I even type this I know I'm going to get a 100 different opinions on who to go about modifying my GT500 to add more hp. Not that 550 isn't enough but I have to be able to tinker around and give mine some personality. I'm looking at things like reducing the pulley size, performance tune etc but I'm wondering if I need to do anything to disapate heat and keep the engine cool first.

Thoughts and recomendations are welcome. I'm not inclined to pull the SC out and replace it.

NMAv

Do you have a 2010? 2011? I am getting ready to start modding myself. 2.59 pulley with VMP tune, but even at stock levels I am noticing heat soak. The 2011s have a much improved heat exchanger from what I have read. How good, I have no idea. I myself will be adding either the Afco or Reven Racing C&R heat exchanger with dual fans to help with the heat. From what I hear...this should solve my heat soak issue. You might start with the pulley and tune...and then if you notice a heat issue...go for the larger h/e with fans.

Hope this helps

Traction mods are the first thing. The car has too much power stock for the tires as-is. After you correct this, pulley/tune.

[/quote

What would you recommend. The tires themselves don't seem to have a great deal of stick, but then again that is a lot of torque.

Do you have a 2010? 2011? I am getting ready to start modding myself. 2.59 pulley with VMP tune, but even at stock levels I am noticing heat soak. The 2011s have a much improved heat exchanger from what I have read. How good, I have no idea. I myself will be adding either the Afco or Reven Racing C&R heat exchanger with dual fans to help with the heat. From what I hear...this should solve my heat soak issue. You might start with the pulley and tune...and then if you notice a heat issue...go for the larger h/e with fans.

Hope this helps

I have the 2011. I haven't noticed any heat problems but with 126 miles on it, I haven't had too much of a chance. I did look at the exchanger offered by Shelby @ $770 as well as the radiator, again at $770 but I've ready just what you said, the 2011's h/e unit has been vastly improved so that might be throwing good money away. I do live in NM, so summers get quite warm and the cooling system will have to do a little extra work.

Well then there is only one answer..............YES. You're gonna need to get rid of the heat if you go with those mods - PERIOD. So you might as well do it all in one shot and doit right the first time. I went with the Shelby H/E...not only do you notice a difference performance wise with mods, but the garage doesnt feel like an oven either!!! And you will get a million different opinions on who to go with................me -- Justin/VMP did an outstanding job with my canned tune and his pulley.

Archived