TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FR-3 Handling Pack with SVTPP

Madlock

I've been trying to distill-down what the specific improvements I'd be likely to see from the FR-3 Handling Pack on a 2011 GT500 Coupe with the SVTPP.

I presume the SVTPP already includes SOME of the handling improvements the FR-3 Pack is intended to provide, like lowering and stiffening the ride. Would the FR-3 Pack pretty-much undo the suspension aspects of the SVTPP and (apart from the wheels and tires) give it the same suspension and handling setup as a baseline SVTPP with an FR-3 Pack installed?

I'd like to get a sense as to whether I may be better-off adopting select aspects of the FR-3 Pack, like the adjustable dampers to give myself at least some measure of control over the vehicle's comportment. I'm also planning on installing the Shelby LCA and Fays2 Watts Linkage if I can ever get past their now-you-see-it/now-you-don't availability.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I'd also be very interested in what would be gained by changing to the FR-3 components beyond the 1.25 drop for PP cars.

The suspension has changed on the 2011 eliminating wheel hop. What you see as a benefit to changing out the LCA's?

I understand why you'd want the the FAYS2 but have you considered GRIGGS components?

-Wingrider

I'd also be very interested in what would be gained by changing to the FR-3 components beyond the 1.25 drop for PP cars.

The suspension has changed on the 2011 eliminating wheel hop. What you see as a benefit to changing out the LCA's?

I understand why you'd want the the FAYS2 but have you considered GRIGGS components?

-Wingrider

The '11 has not eliminated wheel hop. My car wheel hops very badly, unless you bury the throttle and blow the tires completely off.

I've been thinking the same thing about the FR3 kit. I would guess it would do nothing more than lower the car .5" and I can't find anywhere that the spring rates are listed. I don't want to take a chance and upset the balance that the car already came with.

I never cease to be awed - nay dumbstruck by how thoroughly and painstakingly these cars and their aftermarket modifications are developed, designed and tested with virtually no thought whatsoever given to quantifying what they're intended to do.

Granted, there's often a wealth of information available within the owner community, but that presumes not only that somebody had to first be willing to take a leap of faith - and then any information passed-on would be almost entirely subjected. I'd never entrust the marketing or perception of any product I developed to the public at-large without first setting for it a clear direction to begin with. Let alone making it as difficult as possible to make a decision to buy a particular product - simply by virtue of so little specific information bout what it is or what it's supposed to do.

This past year or so has really been enlightening for me - both in terms of owning my first performance car and really taking a critical eye to the business of car making through the lenses of an unwilling funder of the bailouts and a significant (in terms of my own overall holdings) investor in Ford. The more closely I look at more areas of car makers (Ford tends to be more culturally similar than dissimilar to its competitors), the more amazed I become at how truly stone age the non car designing or building aspects of these global enterprises happen to be.

Many home-based eBay sellers provide more intuitive and comprehensive commerce infrastructures. Beyond spending millions or uber-produced TopGear-quality TV commercials, when car makers dip their toes into the water, even the most basic undertakings privately owned-entrepreneurial businesses were doing a decade ago or more are heralded as revolutionary. Suffice to say we've all probably experienced what happens when you leave the entire distribution and retail aspects of your enterprise in the hands of thousands of different owners who aren't just in it for themselves, but often sell competitors' products out of the same showroom.

It's such an inbred and insular world that it's literally mind boggling. Anything Detroit has done to improve its prospects has come from any way it's been able to adopt the same principles and practices that govern any other business in any other industry - and its biggest ongoing threat continues to be any way it hasn't. For as much as it's accomplished, Ford hasn't even begun scratching the surface of change in the non-line aspects of its business.

As far as the FR-3 goes, there's absolutely no excuse for an official information blurb to not accompany it detailing exactly what it includes - what it would change from each of the stock configurations of the vehicles with which it's meant to be compatible, and what it's intended to accomplish - both statistically and theoretically. I can only think of how many performance enhancements I've been reluctant to buy ONLY because there's no objective information available about what it's meant to do - or what I could expect by owning it.

It's particularly frustrating when I see Ford's parts and service business was a net money-loser for FY2010, despite doing some $500M better than 2009. With SO much enthusiast interest being served by SUCH a robust aftermarket, there's absolutely NO reason why Ford shouldn't be leveraging the exclusive insight it has into its own products to ensure its OEM parts and Racing divisions aren't the first place people turn to - and choose, even if ONLY they happen to be the sources where the most information is available, because Ford builds the damn cars to begin with.

I have a 2011 with the FR3 handling pack installed. It's the 07' - '09 handling FR3 pack, the only difference between the '07-'09 and the '10-'11 is the jounce stops and the strut brace.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12459

I also had an opportunity to put my car next to a 2011 with the SVT PP, here is a link to that thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58841-2011-vert-w-fr3-vs-2011-coupe-w-svtpp/page__p__1004385__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=1004385

My car is on rails!! I LOVE IT!!! In the end, cheaper than the SVTPP to.

I have a 2011 with the FR3 handling pack installed. It's the 07' - '09 handling FR3 pack, the only difference between the '07-'09 and the '10-'11 is the jounce stops and the strut brace.

I also had an opportunity to put my car next to a 2011 with the SVT PP, here is a link to that thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58841-2011-vert-w-fr3-vs-2011-coupe-w-svtpp/page__p__1004385__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=1004385

..but is your car an SVPP car? I think the OP was looking to see if the FR3 kit is equal or a step up from the SVPP already installed on the 2011.

http://www.fordracin...tKeyField=12459

http://www.teamshelb..._1#entry1004385

Yeah, the SVTPP is about the single largest mistake I've made. For what I'd call, for lack of a better way to describe it, a more "civil" day-to-day alternative to the FR-3, the SVTPP really comes down to one hell of a lot of money for those wheels and tires which, as incremental cost item over the baseline GT500, is a handsome chunk of coin for the Ford Family Trust. Perhaps the Lions can get the offensive lineman they so desperate need.

While I'm sure there are those who love them, the F-1 G: 2's just aren't for everybody - and a net benefit to a far narrower share of the market than those who ultimately have them. The 3.73 rear axle is no greater cost to Ford, and I wish I'd been less anal-retentive about having an FR dealer mod it for me - warranty notwithstanding. What I don't yet fully understand, however, is how all of these modifications are possible on 2010 and newer vehicles without a whole lot of people either running around with ballpark telemetry or having to buy an aftermarket tuner to get the car to accommodate an OE part. Good God, the Windows 95 system architecture was less convoluted.

What really roasts my ass however, is that the SVTPP wheels can be had for $1,600 a set. Add another $400 to have the gearing shop-swapped and another $2K for the FR-3 pack installed and you've got yourself a set of road wheels, track wheels, and the differential that SHOULD'VE been in the car if it weren't for the CAFE mandate and guzzler tax.

In a perfect world, albeit without having yet driven on the FR-3 pack, I suspect I'd have preferred an even-sharper suspension with tires that are more useful year-round - like the DWS's.

..but is your car an SVPP car? I think the OP was looking to see if the FR3 kit is equal or a step up from the SVPP already installed on the 2011.

Yes, that's exactly the question I'm asking - although one man's step "up" is another's step "over" - or merely "different". As another member described, I too don't want to "upset" the car's OE balance.

I'm really at a crunch point, decision-wise. To make the car "my own", including some features offered from the factory in '12 (Recaro Seats - through for a $60K Mustang, I don't think I'd be unreasonable for questioning why Ford couldn't also provide heated Recaros), I'm going to have to start spending some not-insignificant monies that will have absolutely no future value. Don't misunderstand - I didn't buy my car to just look at it and hope to eventually sell without taking TOO bad a bath, but I'm not keen to throw away money either, and I'm at a point at which my depreciation hit would be the absolute worst. With sales tax and everything added-in, it'd be damn-near a $16K hit to the breadbasket to unload now - with only 1,000 miles on the clock.

On the other hand, I could recoup a good portion of that on smarter (or more experienced) choices going-forward on a new car. Combined with being a "first timer" and the general lack of consumer information available that would allow a person to become a wise consumer on his own, and it's really a tough spot, particularly with what's very likely to be something truly special for Mustang's 50th Anniversary year for MY2014 (CY2013). It's all-but consigned my present car to eventual trade-in status already. Now's a matter of maximizing enjoyment and knowledge and minimizing damage.

It's made even more challenging by the fact that the 5.0 L is just SO damn fine an engine. By the time it's fully uncorked and its software fully cracked, I have a feeling we've only seen the very beginning of its full potential. Once direct injection is brought to the Coyote and it's mated with breathing hardware on both ends to maximize its efficiency, I wouldn't be at-all surprised to see 500hp with comparable fuel economy even before we start talking blowers and such - and without even starting to tax its ability to hang together reliably. It's almost a shame Ford doesn't have a full family of larger vehicles to put it into on a more widespread basis.

The 5.4 L may be a sledgehammer, but it's SO long in the tooth - and bumping up against the limits of its capabilities already that there's just no value to be found investing in another - unless it happens to be a personal favorite. The $21K vs. $7K difference in crate engine prices is as big a joke as the $1,500 OE SVTPP wheels compared to the otherwise-identical width-different $400 wheels from FR. In fact, if I blew my 5.4 L by my own hand, I'd replace it with a 5.0 L and not look back. It's only that it's true and correct vintage to the car that makes it worth keeping (for me anyway).

Were I smarter and able to have looked upon the proposition more objectively at the time, I'd have bought the GT I meant to buy when I first had my heart set on a Mustang. But for the 2010 GT500 the dealership let me take for a spin, I would've. (A tip for dealers who believe GT500's are only suitable for showroom furniture). I'd have used it to learn from, modify to my heart's content, and enjoyed the tremendous resale value it currently enjoys before eventually trading-up to the GT500 (or its model successor) in 2014.

Don't get me wrong - I love my GT500, and I love the fact that I own a GT500. But if I were to do it all over again, even only 6 months into the proposition, I'd have done it MUCH differently, and MUCH less expensively. :) The only things I'm certain of is that I mustn't be alone - and given the cost, there has to be a whole lot of value in any resource that could help people through that decision tree more wisely.

The other difference with the 2011 kit is the upper strut mounts that are from the 2011 SVT .... either you had no problem with the adaptation or you also ordered these ?

And to the OP, I think you are exactly right when you said that the SVT is a more "civil" ride than the FR3 package. The FR3 package seems to have been derived from their racing support for the mustangs and is probably a bit harsh for most people that are buying the GT 500 and aren't true gearheads (IMO). If you go to the FRPP site and look up the springs it indicates they may be harsher than the stock suspension --- I think this is corporate atty speak for ... "expect a few loose fillings in your teeth when driving on less than smooth surfaces" In terms of spring rates and other detailed data I can live without it. If they told me it was a 785 # spring rate I would not know what to do with that either. I just want to know some generalities (like this came from our racing program) and whether or not it fits with a minimum amount of work.

I saw and 11 wheel hoping last Sunday night. This is the second 11 I've seen with wheel hop. Ford didn't fix the issue. Very inexpensive to fix with a bolt on or two. The new vettes and porsches still wheel hop too so it's not an isolated Ford problem. Have you seen a new camaros' and their wheel hop.....now that's dangerous!

Yeah, the SVTPP is about the single largest mistake I've made. For what I'd call, for lack of a better way to describe it, a more "civil" day-to-day alternative to the FR-3, the SVTPP really comes down to one hell of a lot of money for those wheels and tires which, as incremental cost item over the baseline GT500, is a handsome chunk of coin for the Ford Family Trust. Perhaps the Lions can get the offensive lineman they so desperate need.

While I'm sure there are those who love them, the F-1 G: 2's just aren't for everybody - and a net benefit to a far narrower share of the market than those who ultimately have them. The 3.73 rear axle is no greater cost to Ford, and I wish I'd been less anal-retentive about having an FR dealer mod it for me - warranty notwithstanding. What I don't yet fully understand, however, is how all of these modifications are possible on 2010 and newer vehicles without a whole lot of people either running around with ballpark telemetry or having to buy an aftermarket tuner to get the car to accommodate an OE part. Good God, the Windows 95 system architecture was less convoluted.

What really roasts my ass however, is that the SVTPP wheels can be had for $1,600 a set. Add another $400 to have the gearing shop-swapped and another $2K for the FR-3 pack installed and you've got yourself a set of road wheels, track wheels, and the differential that SHOULD'VE been in the car if it weren't for the CAFE mandate and guzzler tax.

In a perfect world, albeit without having yet driven on the FR-3 pack, I suspect I'd have preferred an even-sharper suspension with tires that are more useful year-round - like the DWS's.

Yes, that's exactly the question I'm asking - although one man's step "up" is another's step "over" - or merely "different". As another member described, I too don't want to "upset" the car's OE balance.

I'm really at a crunch point, decision-wise. To make the car "my own", including some features offered from the factory in '12 (Recaro Seats - through for a $60K Mustang, I don't think I'd be unreasonable for questioning why Ford couldn't also provide heated Recaros), I'm going to have to start spending some not-insignificant monies that will have absolutely no future value. Don't misunderstand - I didn't buy my car to just look at it and hope to eventually sell without taking TOO bad a bath, but I'm not keen to throw away money either, and I'm at a point at which my depreciation hit would be the absolute worst. With sales tax and everything added-in, it'd be damn-near a $16K hit to the breadbasket to unload now - with only 1,000 miles on the clock.

On the other hand, I could recoup a good portion of that on smarter (or more experienced) choices going-forward on a new car. Combined with being a "first timer" and the general lack of consumer information available that would allow a person to become a wise consumer on his own, and it's really a tough spot, particularly with what's very likely to be something truly special for Mustang's 50th Anniversary year for MY2014 (CY2013). It's all-but consigned my present car to eventual trade-in status already. Now's a matter of maximizing enjoyment and knowledge and minimizing damage.

It's made even more challenging by the fact that the 5.0 L is just SO damn fine an engine. By the time it's fully uncorked and its software fully cracked, I have a feeling we've only seen the very beginning of its full potential. Once direct injection is brought to the Coyote and it's mated with breathing hardware on both ends to maximize its efficiency, I wouldn't be at-all surprised to see 500hp with comparable fuel economy even before we start talking blowers and such - and without even starting to tax its ability to hang together reliably. It's almost a shame Ford doesn't have a full family of larger vehicles to put it into on a more widespread basis.

The 5.4 L may be a sledgehammer, but it's SO long in the tooth - and bumping up against the limits of its capabilities already that there's just no value to be found investing in another - unless it happens to be a personal favorite. The $21K vs. $7K difference in crate engine prices is as big a joke as the $1,500 OE SVTPP wheels compared to the otherwise-identical width-different $400 wheels from FR. In fact, if I blew my 5.4 L by my own hand, I'd replace it with a 5.0 L and not look back. It's only that it's true and correct vintage to the car that makes it worth keeping (for me anyway).

Were I smarter and able to have looked upon the proposition more objectively at the time, I'd have bought the GT I meant to buy when I first had my heart set on a Mustang. But for the 2010 GT500 the dealership let me take for a spin, I would've. (A tip for dealers who believe GT500's are only suitable for showroom furniture). I'd have used it to learn from, modify to my heart's content, and enjoyed the tremendous resale value it currently enjoys before eventually trading-up to the GT500 (or its model successor) in 2014.

Don't get me wrong - I love my GT500, and I love the fact that I own a GT500. But if I were to do it all over again, even only 6 months into the proposition, I'd have done it MUCH differently, and MUCH less expensively. :) The only things I'm certain of is that I mustn't be alone - and given the cost, there has to be a whole lot of value in any resource that could help people through that decision tree more wisely.

Life is too short to have regrets or remorse for your car purchase. Wait till the weather warms up and take your car out and drive it like you stole it. I was also wondering if I should have bought a 5.0 GT so I did. The GT is a great car but not near as fun as the Shelby...yet.

As far as the FR-3 suspension I can't help you there but I would think the SVTPP cars could hang with a FR-3 car.

Sorry may be a stupid Question, Why did you go with the 07 and not the 10/11? just curious, Thanks

If this question is directed at me...the only difference between the '07 - '09 kit and the '10 - '11 kit is the strut brace and jounce stops. All other parts are identical (springs, shocks, struts, bars, etc.). I liked the '07-'09 strut bar much better, so I went with it. Unfortunately, the strut bar will not fit, won't clear the SC.

The other difference with the 2011 kit is the upper strut mounts that are from the 2011 SVT .... either you had no problem with the adaptation or you also ordered these ?

And to the OP, I think you are exactly right when you said that the SVT is a more "civil" ride than the FR3 package. The FR3 package seems to have been derived from their racing support for the mustangs and is probably a bit harsh for most people that are buying the GT 500 and aren't true gearheads (IMO). If you go to the FRPP site and look up the springs it indicates they may be harsher than the stock suspension --- I think this is corporate atty speak for ... "expect a few loose fillings in your teeth when driving on less than smooth surfaces" In terms of spring rates and other detailed data I can live without it. If they told me it was a 785 # spring rate I would not know what to do with that either. I just want to know some generalities (like this came from our racing program) and whether or not it fits with a minimum amount of work.

I did not order those. I did, however, also install caster/camber plates. All installed with no problems.

It's my understanding that Ford still has yet to release the correct shocks/struts in the FR3 package for the 2011. Aren't there guys on here that ordered this kit months ago and are still waiting for these? I thought I remember late February being the anticipated releae date.

It's my understanding that Ford still has yet to release the correct shocks/struts in the FR3 package for the 2011. Aren't there guys on here that ordered this kit months ago and are still waiting for these? I thought I remember late February being the anticipated releae date.

You statement is correct --- the dampers (shocks) are the hang-up, and late Feb (as of a couple of weeks ago) is the availability date. At least that is what FRPP is telling me about my order. FWIW it is my understanding that these are the same dampers for the other kits and they are also on back-order.....

You statement is correct --- the dampers (shocks) are the hang-up, and late Feb (as of a couple of weeks ago) is the availability date. At least that is what FRPP is telling me about my order. FWIW it is my understanding that these are the same dampers for the other kits and they are also on back-order.....

Ok great- thanks for the confirmation. I installed the FRPP springs, but am awaiting these and was hoping I wasn't getting the run-around!

It's not that Ford Racing has yet to release the "correct" shocks/struts in the FR3 pack, it's that they apparenlty changed suppliers and that's the hold-up.

I was told that by Mike @ Tousley Ford and he told me he got that information directly from the head of Ford Racing.

I am one of the people awaiting shipment of my FR3 pack for my 2010 GT500 and I just posted a question to Mike/Steve at Tousley on the SVTPefromance.com forum. HIs reply was that the new expected shipping date was late February (the 28th, perhaps???).

The FRPP site says they're dampners are made by Dynamic Suspensions, the same company that makes them for the FR500R track car.

I noticed a photo on one of Alex's builds that CLEARLY shows "Tokico" on the rear shock body so apparently FRPP is changing from Tokico to Dynamic Suspensions....whoever THAT may be.

And NO, the FR3 suspension kit is NOT the same as the SVT Performance Package. For one, the SVTPP uses the same rear shocks as the "base" GT500 uses. The springs also lower the car approx. 1.25" on the FRPP suspension and 5mm/11mm (if I have the numbers right) on the SVTTPP package. The SVT claim on strut dampening increases is also slightly higher than OE and slightly lower than the FR3 kit claims. Unfortunately, I don't have my sources bookmarked but that is what I remember reading about the SVTPP kit vs the FR3 kit.

I can not comment on the swaybar rates as I haven't seen (or don't remember seeing) information pusblished on them. A simple comparison of bar diameter should give you a clue though.

HTH,

Phill

What does everyone think of the Koni Yellow adjustable sport dampers? I have the Ford Racing lowering springs. Thinking for the money, these would be much better than the Ford Racing or the Tokico D specs. Is anybody on here using the Koni's? If so please comment on your results.

Thanks

...so apparently FRPP is changing from Tokico to Dynamic Suspensions....whoever THAT may be.

.... the SVTPP uses the same rear shocks as the "base" GT500 uses.

HTH,

Phill

The 2011 SVT PP does not use the same shock as the "base" GT500.

_2011-shelby-cobra-gt500-order-guide1-copy.jpg?t=1296430787

They are a little less than double the cost of the standard units.

ScreenHunter_01Jan301924.gif?t=1296433594

As to Dynamic Suspensions...they are simply branded Multimatic units. Multimatic is responsible for much of the S197 suspension development work and is the Tier-1 supplier to Ford for much of the Mustangs underpinnings. The front LCA's, rear LCA and UCA's and quite a few other parts. They have worked with Ford on not only OE development but with Ford Racing on a number of FRPP supplied race-only Mustang series vehicles ( FR500C and FR500GT4 among others). The FR500C pieces really were works of art. You couldn't have a company better suited to being the supplier for FRPP suspension components. Nobody knows these cars better.

There is a lot of information to ingest at Multimatic's site. Spend some time there and click on all of the links. You'll quickly see how much of the S197 chassis they are responsible for.

http://www.multimatic.com/pdf/susp_systems_brochure.pdf

http://www.multimatic.com/pdf/multimatic_dssv.pdf

Thanks for the terrific info, Tob.

The FR500C race dampers (M-18120-R) seem to be real masterpieces - at least cosmetically. It refers people to the M-18000-A set for a street use equivalent, but the FR-3 pack uses M-18000-C adjustable dampers instead. I don't know what the real-world differences (if any) are, but they're different enough to justify a different Ford SKU and OEM UPC.

As an alternative to re-slinging the suspension, I've also been considering changing-out only the SVTPP OE shocks to the variable dampers and using them with the rest of the OE SVTPP setup as the best way to expand my options while allowing me a way to dial-back any changes to where they were.

Do you know what the differences between the M-18000-A and C parts versions are?

My experience has been that they need to be FRPP related. My local Ford dealer is not but there are a number of online places that are. I have used RoushYates, Ford Racing Direct and a couple of others depending on price.

The 2011 SVT PP does not use the same shock as the "base" GT500.

_2011-shelby-cobra-gt500-order-guide1-copy.jpg?t=1296430787

Oh, yer right, my bad! I misspoke...

The SVTPP uses the same FRONT STRUTS as the base GT500!

Which is even worse, in my opinion. Rear shocks are CHEAP compared to a set of front struts (labor included).

I knew it was one of the two but I couldn't remember and I figured it would be the rear that they kept intact since it was the end that seemed to have less of a problem (cornering wise).

Phill

As a side note, can Ford Racing parts be ordered through ANY Ford dealer's part desk, or must they be ordered only through dealers who are "Ford Racing" affiliated?

Yeah, I found the same thing as the poster following your post found.

They have to be a FRPP dealer too, not just a Ford Motor Company dealership.

But I've bought *all* of my FRPP items on-line at one of a couple of places.

BuyFordRacing.com had my Low Profile 8.8" Axle Girdle and some of the last remaining FRPP front brake duct kits on sale so I got them there cheaper than I could elsewhere. No sales tax but their shipping was within reason.

Tousley Ford sells ALL FRPP items for Cost + 10% or $200.oo, whichever is LESS. You also don't get charged sales tax and if your *total* order (not individual item) exceeds $1600.oo they ship it for free.

I bought my FRPP/Whipple 2.9L Polished Supercharger and my FRPP FR3 Handling Pack from Tousley with no sales tax and free shipping so I paid less for both items than I could find just the Supercharger KIT for elsewhere (KIT = Polished Supercharger, Polished CJ Throttle Body, Inlet Zip Tube, CAI Filter/housing, Ford Pro-Com w/tune, spark plugs, etc.).

NOTE: If you buy *any* Whipple SC from Tousley and you live in Calif, you must pay Sales Tax as Whipple drop ships from their location in Cali direct to you.

Also, if you live in....shoot, the same State (MI?) where Tousley is located, you will also have to pay sales tax.

But you still get it for Cost+10% or Cost+$200, whichever is LESS so you still save substantially.

They have a forum on SVTPerformance.com that you can get price quotes from too.

HTH,

Phill

My shelby owners manual states that the socks are tokico along with stating the spring rates.

I strongly doubt they would just spray the stock struts red to pass off as a performance package.

Noooooooooo! A manufacturer would NEVER do something like that..........would they????

Ya might wanna take a look at the sheet Tob uploaded and I quoted up above, because that's pretty much what that says.

Do you see where it says "unique rear shocks"? I do...

How about where it says "unique front struts"? Exactly.....

And like I said, Alex posted a photo in his forum section that shows a set of FORD RACING Shocks with "Tokico" clearly stamped in the shock body. When you go to the FRPP site, it now states that the FR3 dampners are made by Dynamic Suspensions, the same supplier that makes the FR500C track car shocks/struts.

AND, Mike @ Tousley Ford said he spoke directly to the HEAD of Ford Racing and he was told that the reason for the hold-up on shipping the FR3 handling package is due to FRPP changing shock/strut suppliers....And I can distinctly recall reading the FRPP site when it said "TOKICO" was their shock/strut supplier, the same company that makes shocks/struts for the FR500C track car.

So it looks (to me) like Tokico is out and Dynamic Suspensions is in!

I doubt VERY MUCH that they would have Tokico make the front struts (or the rear shocks for that matter) for the GT500 SVT Performance Package, but have Dynamic Suspensions make the struts/shocks for the FR500C and the FRPP FR3 handling pack.

But I"ve seen stranger things, so....................<??SHRUG??>

I wonder who makes the stock/OE shocks/struts for the previous gen. GT500?

Phill

Hey Tob,

I tried both of these links and it froze my system up.

Can you tell me what they are?

I'll try again, one at a time this time as it says it's a PDF file...which I've never had a problem with.

TIA,

Phill

Noooooooooo! A manufacturer would NEVER do something like that..........would they????

Bah! And they'd also never talk about giving only Lincoln vehicles certain features like paddle shifters just to dumb-down the Blue Oval for the sake trying to make Lincoln vehicles unique within Ford.

Does Ford actually think people willing to buy a $55K Mustang or a $3,500 feature option WOULDN'T spend an extra $100-$200 to also have class-leading suspension hardware?

I'm amazed by the extent to which Detroit operated like it's on another planet - or its customers are. Even given the indusputable, near overnight turnaround executives like Mulally and Whitacre affected (mostly by simply abandoning so much inbred stuff meant only to perpetuate the status quo) isn't enough for SOME people who claim no non-"car person" could possibly save Detroit when it needs MORE change, not less - and over almost a decade, I was almost $150B more profitable making zero cars than Detroit was selling 17M each year. Even as makers are healthier and more profitable than ever at a marketspace 2/3 the size, some continue to believe "more" rather than "better" is the only "answer" - to a problem that no longer exists.

I'm confident Ford will continue to make more genuine choices as it the world stabilizes and product cadences return to more normal intervals. But that still doesn't mean I wouldn't have appreciated Mustang's best suspension setup, including hardware for my hard-earned rather than a mere repaint-and-declare-unique.

Bah! And they'd also never talk about giving only Lincoln vehicles certain features like paddle shifters just to dumb-down the Blue Oval for the sake trying to make Lincoln vehicles unique within Ford.

Or the "more agressive" wickerbill/Gurney flap on the SVTPP vs. the Base GT500.....which is the same exact "stock" (i.e. "base") wickerbill used on ALL 2010 GT500's! LOL

Like I said in that thread, "You pay more for the same item that was a "base" item last year, but it says "SVTPP" on it now"....

You can't say the Ford Marketing guys are STOOPID, that's fer sure. Hell, they can get people to pay extra for items that were stock/OE on their previous year model and/or on their base model with a different color of paint (apparently).

I'll say it again....WOW!

Phill (I am in the wrong business!)

Or the "more agressive" wickerbill/Gurney flap on the SVTPP vs. the Base GT500.....which is the same exact "stock" (i.e. "base") wickerbill used on ALL 2010 GT500's! LOL

Like I said in that thread, "You pay more for the same item that was a "base" item last year, but it says "SVTPP" on it now"....

You can't say the Ford Marketing guys are STOOPID, that's fer sure. Hell, they can get people to pay extra for items that were stock/OE on their previous year model and/or on their base model with a different color of paint (apparently).

I'll say it again....WOW!

Phill (I am in the wrong business!)

Are you insinuating that everyone who bought a GT500 with the SVTPP only got the package for the Gurney flap?

Archived