TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch - TSB 09-19-11 Help

odgreen001

Please Help! This will be the second TSB to be done to my 08 GT500. The Ford dealer is going to do the clutch replacement and all that is involved in TSB 09-19-11 for free. I had been quoted $2800.00, but the dealer made calls to Ford and somehow worked it out to be done no charge to me. My car has 40k on it and it has been 18 months since they did the first TSB, so I am extremely happy that Ford is picking up the tab.

My worry though is that TSB 09-19-11 calls for the reprogramming of the PCM chip. I have the Evolution Performance stage II kit (cold air, smaller pulley & tune), so I will have to take out my tune and replace it with the factory tune. I asked tow of the dealer's techs and they did not know why the PCM had to be reprogrammed or what the reprogramming did...only that they were going to do it because the TSB called for it.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know why they have to reprogramm the PCM?

2. What does the reprogrammed tune do?

3. And most important, does anyone know what would happen if I put my Evolution tune back onto the car after the dealer does its thing?...will it adversely affect the operation of the clutch or car?

On the last one, I'm not worried about voiding any warranties...the next clutch is on me.

A quick response would be appreciated, as my car goes in Monday (31 Jan 11).

First off you will love the new style clutch, huge difference on my '08 500. On the re-programming, I had the Ford cold air kit and I put everything back to stock before it went in. The dealer did the TSB inc. the reflash.

I went to reinstall my Ford cold air and tune and it would not work because it did not recognize the computer with the TSB reflash. I called Ford Racing and the first thing they said was I bet you just got the clutch TSB done. They said I should of told the dealer not to do the reprogram but did send me for free a new card to go in my Ford racing Pro-Cal hand held tuner so it would read the new TSB re-flash tune. Everything worked fine but I had to wait to get the new chip/card.

You might check to make sure you can put your Evolution tune back on if it will recognize the new TSB flash.

Again, it is totally worth it for the new style clutch in my opinion.

Mitch

Just re-read your post, are you sure you are getting the 3rd and not the 4th clutch revision? the newest is the 2010 style clutch assy.

You are correct...it is TSB 10-3-8, not TSB 09-19-11 that I had posted. I'm glad to hear that you liked the new clutch. I think I'll ask the techs not to reprogram. If they do, I guess I'll need a new tune. Again, thanks for the input

• 2 weeks later...

First off you will love the new style clutch, huge difference on my '08 500. On the re-programming, I had the Ford cold air kit and I put everything back to stock before it went in. The dealer did the TSB inc. the reflash.

I went to reinstall my Ford cold air and tune and it would not work because it did not recognize the computer with the TSB reflash. I called Ford Racing and the first thing they said was I bet you just got the clutch TSB done. They said I should of told the dealer not to do the reprogram but did send me for free a new card to go in my Ford racing Pro-Cal hand held tuner so it would read the new TSB re-flash tune. Everything worked fine but I had to wait to get the new chip/card.

You might check to make sure you can put your Evolution tune back on if it will recognize the new TSB flash.

Again, it is totally worth it for the new style clutch in my opinion.

Mitch

Had the new clutch installed and it is night and day difference from the last one. Virtually no pedal pressure on the clutch, which took a day or two to get used to, and the clutch starts engaging around 25% pedal release. So far I like it...just hope it last longer than 20k miles.

• 4 months later...

I have an 07, at 13K replaced flywheel, clutch and tranny and an unsuccessful TSB, now at 27K of normal driving, the clutch is out again.

Am I reading right? Are there new TSBs covering our old cars? Can someone please fill me in, it would be greatly appreciated, before I go and drop a couple grand to get this fixed.

thx!!!

I just had the same issues / concerns last week. I had the first TSB done at 20k and again last week at 47k. I had a diablo tune on the car for my CAI, pulley set up and ported and polished blower, inlet and TB. They mentioned a reflash due to the new design clutch being larger. I was able to pull my Diablo tune off first. When I got the car back I tried to reload my tune but with no luck. It said that my car was not in the Diablo database. I ended up buying a new SCT from a tuner friend that night so I could drive the car.

I LOVE THE NEW CLUTCH! The SCT tune is not too bad either! :)

Archived