TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Proper Long Term Storage?

Any good advice on prepping and storing a GT500 for 2 plus years?

Just got news I'll be assigned to Korea for 2 years beginning in June. Now considering whether to store the car or take it with me (if I get it in time)....

Storage:

PROS: really low miles when I return!!!

CONS: $$$, hurricanes in FL

Take to Korea:

PROS: probably would be the only GT500 in Korea, no stress from worrying about my car

CONS: abused by auto shipping drivers in the shipyards, narrow roads in Korea

Please no offers to "take care" of my car for me while I'm gone!

http://www.karmustang.com/hibernation.php

I use many of these guidelines when storing my 68. Obviously you don't have a carb and other issues that a classic car does, but many of the principles are the same. Search the net for other tips - there are many other sites that have info.

Stay safe in Korea and thanks for your service to the country! :happy feet:

http://www.karmustang.com/hibernation.php

I use many of these guidelines when storing my 68. Obviously you don't have a carb and other issues that a classic car does, but many of the principles are the same. Search the net for other tips - there are many other sites that have info.

Stay safe in Korea and thanks for your service to the country! :happy feet:

+1

+1

NO! NO! don't take it to Korea

great place but not for a GT500

Food is great, good burgers at the Nashville in Itaewon near Seoul. I think it's still there.

the drivers are crazy

good luck

we appreciate your service

Just got news I'll be assigned to Korea for 2 years beginning in June. Now considering whether to store the car or take it with me (if I get it in time)....

Storage:

Take to Korea:

PROS: probably would be the only GT500 in Korea, no stress from worrying about my car

Hey Racer I'll be glad to store it for you thanks for asking! lol :)

Rich

Storage:

Take to Korea:

Wow, that's a long time to store a car. We've had threads on this before...maybe do a search for "storage" or "long term" or something. I'm sure opinions are all over the board on how to do this. I'd get some dessicant bags for the interior, support the car by the rear axle/front frame, and remove the battery. Is there any way you can have a friend or family member go start it up every 2 months or so? Keep gas tank full. That would be best IMO. If so, they should start it, let run for 10-15 minutes, operate all items such as brakes, steering, A/C, heater controls, open all doors, trunk, hood, and then shut, etc....just move everything. I'd want to change the oil once a year too even though it's not being driven.

When you get it out of storage, I'd pull the plugs, spray just a few drops of oil in each cylinder, reinstall plugs, then crank a few times without letting it start (just don't hold key very long). If it's stored in a place where there may be rodents, find a way to keep them out.

Good luck, and thanks for your service.

Dave

I agree with rpmcobra. I was stationed there in the late 80's at K-16 Seoul Air Base. I drove a military cut-v pickup truck to Osan Airforce Base once a week to deliver aircraft oil samples to the AOAP lab. The drive just sucked and I was hit twice in one year. I think you would be taking a big chance insurance wise, also the winters are very cold and nasty. One more thing, how would you get that in country smell out of your GT500 when you return home? I would take my chances with Florida but if thats not an option I'm always willing to help a fellow soldier. Let me know what you need and when your going and I'll try to help you the best I can. Best of luck

Ken

If you do take it with you maybe Ford can make a new commercial with them taking yours of the ship and them asking you " What you could not find a car here you like in Korea?" :hysterical::hysterical:

You must know someone you can trust with your car for two years. I would find a dry climate controlled storage space and take the battery out. Good luck to you overseas. :victory:

Storage:

Take to Korea:

this may have some good suggestions

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/long_term_storage.htm

Archived