TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keeping my 350 clean

Never having had vinyl stripes on a car before, I am not sure how to approach waxing the car body. Should I avoid using the polisher and wax on the stripes, or does it matter? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Ciao and God bless...Jon :headscratch:

Hey Jon,

I do know that vinyl stripes can get swirls if you use the wrong stuff, but hey, Im probably the wrong guy to chime in on this. I buy a car, run it through the wash at the gas station, and when it starts to get run down, I buy another one. :hysterical: My GT500 had swirls in the decals, rock chips from the front bumper to the rear trunk lid, and frankly I had fun the whole time it happened. I did get painted stripes on my 350 so I dont have to worry about the vinyl cracking or peeling or discoloring, but thats me, and Im not a big detailer. I dont even own a shamwow...

I buy hand washes in bulk and have one certain guy I allow to touch my 350, and thats how I keep it clean. But I dont get the fun out of cleaning my car that most here do.

Never having had vinyl stripes on a car before, I am not sure how to approach waxing the car body. Should I avoid using the polisher and wax on the stripes, or does it matter? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Ciao and God bless...Jon :headscratch:

Be careful with those stripes. I have been told by both Steve and Roger at Shelby that the vinyl stripes have been painted with the Guardsman Blue color onto the vinyl. From this it would appear that

matching the stripes with a standard vinyl color will be impossible. I would guess a good wax would be fine on the stripes but I would not use a machine or anything cutting on them. My opinion.

Hand applied Ice polish, followed by a coat of Eagle Gel wax, also hand applied.

Both products are zero residue, so no wax build up at the seams.

Thanks for the tip. What is Ice polish, and where can I find it? I imagine Eagle Gel is a product found in any auto parts store. Again, thanks

Thanks for the tip. What is Ice polish, and where can I find it? I imagine Eagle Gel is a product found in any auto parts store. Again, thanks

ICE is a Turtle Wax product that is amazing. I use the liquid prior to waxing and it puts down an incredible shine. It also restores black trim to like new.

I get both ICE and Eagle Gel Wax at Kragen's or Pep Boys.

Thanks for the reply. Where can I find PLEXUS?

Plexus is an amazing product. It was developed for lexan aircraft windshields. I have used plexus on plastic rear convertible windows for years. It really works well at cleaning the plastic window and eliminating fine swirl marks in the plastic. I also used to use it on my kids plastic sliding board - really increased their speed. :hysterical:

I have found it locally at auto zone and advanced auto parts but can be found easily online.

I will also put a vote in for ice. Works great and easy to use so it leaves more time for drive hard!

Jon,

It's important to understand what will not work and why to better appreciate your options. Never use a polish, cleaner wax, or any abrasive product on those stripes. That's where the swirl marks come from.

A high quality pure wax applied gently by hand will give you the most protection. My favorites:

1) P 21S - Pure Carnauba Wax from Germany will give you 3+ months of protection.

2) Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze from Germany - a polymer, not a wax incredible shine and durability 6+ months of protection in any environment

3) Barrier Reef Carnauba Wax from Surf City Garage ... a great domestic alternative 2-3 months of protection

Tutle Wax Ice will work, however it's a silicon oil. It gives a nice look, but will not last beyond 4 weeks in ideal conditions. It's also a product you do not want to get on your winshield, or imbedded in your hands.

On the Shelby GT I used the same care as the rest of the car. Once a year clay bar (being very careful on the vinyl) then wax with Turtle Wax Ice paste. Always be careful to do any wiping in the direction of the stripe or the stripe to the painted surface - never approach it from the paint side inward.

The advantage of Ice is that it does not leave a residue and can be used safely on all textured plastic parts like the splitter and back sides of the mirrors.

Archived