TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lowered GT500s

I am a Shelby GT owner who has ordered the 20" American Racing GT40 wheel through Evolution performance. The widths they recommended were 9.5" for the front and 10" for the rear and the reccomend tire sizes are: 255/35R20 (Front) 285/30R20 (rear). I believe Evolution is selling most of these wheels to GT500 owners.

My concern is the Shelby GT is lower than the GT500 and I am going to have a problem on the front. I believe the stock GT500 wheels are 9.5" wide. Are there any GT500 owners who have lowered their cars on the stock wheels or 20 X 9.5" wheels? Has anybody encoutered problems? Or, do I have nothing to worry about and need to take a pill for my PSDS?

Thank You,

Chris

I am a Shelby GT owner who has ordered the 20" American Racing GT40 wheel through Evolution performance. The widths they recommended were 9.5" for the front and 10" for the rear and the reccomend tire sizes are: 255/35R20 (Front) 285/30R20 (rear). I believe Evolution is selling most of these wheels to GT500 owners.

My concern is the Shelby GT is lower than the GT500 and I am going to have a problem on the front. I believe the stock GT500 wheels are 9.5" wide. Are there any GT500 owners who have lowered their cars on the stock wheels or 20 X 9.5" wheels? Has anybody encoutered problems? Or, do I have nothing to worry about and need to take a pill for my PSDS?

Thank You,

Chris

Jaffy,

The stock wheels are 9" all around. For what it's worth, SAI is recommending and installing 20x9 in the front and 20x10 in the rear. The American Racing Custom shop in Carson CA. states the same. However, if Evo is ordering their resale 40th's at 9.5, then they must have a reason for it. But you have to ask yourself how much benefit a half an inch will give you. You will definately diminish your turning radus significantly especally after you install the FRPP turn stop that you mentioned in a previous thread.

You may want to contact SAI, SVT, or even AR's custom shop and ask them straight out what they recommend. The AR custom shop is the place where ALL of the 40th wheels will come from no matter who resells them. Ask them why Evo is requesting that their resale wheels be 9.5 in the front.

Oh yes, this time I am refering to the SGT and not the 500. I went a checkin' after one of your last posts about this subject, because I have also ordered the 40th wheels for my upcoming SGT too, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on something by not going with 9.5" in the front. That's why I called SAI and AR's custom shop to verify the best/correct way to go. SAI will be doing the brake upgrade on my SGT, so that automatically requires that I go up to 20" inch wheels, and as you know, the SGT already comes lowered, and if SAI also states that 9" in the front is really the best way to go, then so be it.

I would love to know why Evo believes that 9.5" is the way to go. If you find out or know the definative answer, then please post.

Whoops, sorry about the misinformation on the stock GT500 wheels. I was going from the FRPP catalog. Why is there a difference?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9485

Also, I am not looking to squeeze every bit of performance out of a wheel. My concerns are more about fender rub.

Whoops, sorry about the misinformation on the stock GT500 wheels. I was going from the FRPP catalog. Why is there a difference?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9485

Also, I am not looking to squeeze every bit of performance out of a wheel. My concerns are more about fender rub.

That's why I'm asking why Evo is going with 9.5''? Because there's a much higher probability that your tires will rub with 9.5 wide wheels. So if you're concerned about rubbing, then you should be cautious about going with that size.

Som of GT,

.....I talked to Evo, All of the GT500s they have in the gallery are on 9.5" wheels. Most of them look as low if not lower than the Shelby GT and there is no problem with fender rub. The extra .5" is for just a bit more rubber and appearance. I am satisfied. Time to worry about something else.......PSDS sucks. :banghead:

http://www.evoperform.com/shelbygallery.htm

Archived