TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Clutch

iceman

I know a few clutch problems have shown up. I thought the clutch was as a general rule a very good one. According to the article in the April Mod. Must. magazine that may not be the case. Has anyone else read this? They more or less say some sources (of course wanting no to be named) called it a POS. They spoke about some after market clutches that are good options andthe cost for them.

From the sounds of it SPEC is the way to go but they also mentioned RAM

Thisclutch is not cheap (stock) and neither will a replacement item but I'd rather spend the money on a good one if I have to do it. So far mines been great (knock on wood) but the article doesn't paint a pretty picture for us.

And yes I believe everything I read :) But they do seem to have some good points in here and with more of these issues popping up every dayit warrants a look.

I know a few clutch problems have shown up. I thought the clutch was as a general rule a very good one. According to the article in the April Mod. Must. magazine that may not be the case. Has anyone else read this? They more or less say some sources (of course wanting no to be named) called it a POS. They spoke about some after market clutches that are good options andthe cost for them.

From the sounds of it SPEC is the way to go but they also mentioned RAM

Thisclutch is not cheap (stock) and neither will a replacement item but I'd rather spend the money on a good one if I have to do it. So far mines been great (knock on wood) but the article doesn't paint a pretty picture for us.

And yes I believe everything I read :) But they do seem to have some good points in here and with more of these issues popping up every dayit warrants a look.

So what does it say Ice? Can you post a link.

The Shelby has a dual-disc clutch coated with a cerametallic coating. This is very simiar to the the aftermarket clutches in terms of design and performance capabilities. The two clutches offer a larger surface area and less inertia, allowing the engine to spin up more readily. The composite stuff these clutches are made of allow it to tolerate much higher temperatures and stand a lot more abuse. Don't always believe what you read. Keep in mind, however, that it's quite possible to completely disintegrate ANY clutch regardless of quality with bad shifting habits (I'm the poster child for that given my tendency to power shift in the grocery store parking lot) and improper clutch engagement; which on the Shelby is quite easy to do. Perhaps the article's opinion is formulated on the very real perception that the hydraulic actuator sucks. It's this very same aspect of the clutch assembly that's had us changing gears or coming up with all kinds of other crap to avoid the crazy "shimmy" at low rpms coming out of 1st. IMO it's a worthy clutch capable of some pretty serious abuse; but nothing will compensate for crazy driving skills.

Regards,

FordGeek (Joseph)

:redcard: Reading too many forums and mag articles is scaring everyone that owns THAT particular car. Guys.......and gals, every manufacturer has problems........we hope isolated. Heck, even Mercedes dealerships have service depts don't they???? and Ferrari, and everyone else. Think about that...........

by the way, when Evo's car hit the HotRod mag they were making 600 rear wheel and swore by the stock clutch so there you go.

I have'nt heard about Evo having clutch issues?.... Nor was clutch issues mentioned in the latest 5.0 with KB's car pushing 800HP on the dyno.......

Just like most mags (cough-motor trend-cough-consumer reports-cough)... Editors are looking for a "hey! look at me" article....

Now i know magazines can be a good place for information but you cant necesarilly believe everything they say. There were numerous articles of people calling the car itself a POS... and it seems like none of us here agree with that. Some people have personal reasons as to why they dont like the car and that could be clouding their judgement or disposition towards the car and its parts. I would believe real life trials more than i do the opinions of an individual.

Now i know magazines can be a good place for information but you cant necesarilly believe everything they say. There were numerous articles of people calling the car itself a POS... and it seems like none of us here agree with that. Some people have personal reasons as to why they dont like the car and that could be clouding their judgement or disposition towards the car and its parts. I would believe real life trials more than i do the opinions of an individual.

Great post!

We own the car. We have more seat time then some magazine writer (in most cases) and shoot. We can write an article and be more correct then them IMHO. When you read an article its not the tell all, Your just reading someone elses "opinion". Just the same as coming to SU for information.

Agreed - and as noted originally I do believe EVERYTHING I read. I mean that with a little sarcasm in case it didn't come through.

The reason I even brought it up was because we're seeing people with transmissions locking up, clutches being detroyed, etc on this board - then to see an article about that issue popping up I figured it was worth looking into. My clutch has been great through 700 miles but I would hope it will last longet than that. I'll get the article scanned and in here today if possible.

I just drove another Shelby GT 500 yesterday,that came off the transporter. The clutch pedal felt a lot firmer than the previous 3 I had driven. It still exhibited the same characteristics as the prior ones. My Shelby has a early build date and I tend to wonder about the reliability of the clutch. I did contact SVT with my concern and they stated that they had not heard of any issues. We shall see.

Archived