TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fright Night

denohew

OK, there is a local race spot here in Victoria, Tx. I went there tonight because basically I was bored. Ran across a Camaro that was heavily modified. But I knew I could take him. It is about 38 degrees here, which gave me at least 20 more horsepower. I took the traction control off and it was on from a rolling start. When I hit 3rd gear my 11 Shelby broke the tires loose and I went totally sideways at about 90 mph. I guess the good 'ol LORD was on my side because it took every thing I had, and I have been drag racing for 30 years to get the car back. Scared the crap out of me! I don't get scared easily, The stock tires are f****** crap. I knew the guy in the Camaro and we stopped to have a little chat. He thought I was a going to eat it but commended me on my recovery. These tires are down right dangerious! I think I should have left the traction control on. I am glad my drag racing experience kick in and I kept it on the road! We all need different tires and I have read alot of threads about tires and widening the size or even the rim itself to accept wider tires. He had Nitto's on his car. I almost killed myself but no damage done except my ego. But even the Camaro driver told me good recovery. These cars want to kill us with these tires. I can handle the horsepower as long as they have some sort of traction. I really don't want to get my rims widened but I want a tire that has some traction! I am still shaken from the moment! The Camaro could not believe I got sideways in 3rd. Somebody please tell me which tire to buy that will fit my rims and actually hook up! Please I beg of you! I am pleased to be here right now and not wrapped around a telephone pole. I have done no mods to my car. Bone stock. Any ideas on which tire I can get that will fit my stock rims? Just a little advise is all I need. I guess all I need is a little feedback cuz this car is going to kill me! Regards, denohew

Sounds like your tires were too cold. They are race spec tires and have fantastic grip when you heat them up but act like hockey pucks when they are cold. Even my 325 DR's spin when they are cold and so will whatever you tire choose unless you put some heat in them. I'm glad you recovered but you have to remember you have 550hp with a live axle and no traction control and rock hard 19's or 20's. Next time do a short little 2nd gear burnout for about 3-4 seconds and then they should start to grip. But if you're ready to throw in the towel you can always get 325/30/19 Nitto NT05R's on widened FRPP 19's.

BigDan, I need your set up cuz the tires were heated up. I did a couple of donuts before the " race " . But losing it in 3rd gear kinna rattled me. No biggie cuz I am still here with no damage to the car. Just want some traction! How many inexperienced drivers in these cars have bit it? More than one I am sure, gotta respect horsepower. Kindness regards, denohew Also do your rear tires rub?

The paperwork that came from Ford on the 2011 Shelby stated not to drive in temps below....40 deg....., because of the summer tires.

These ( stock tires ) are a 220 compound, a good trade off for traction / tread life.

There was an article in the Oct. 2010 issue of Popular Hot Rodding, listing compounds from 200 down to 00, you may be able to find it on line, ( popularhotrodding.com ).......................but I suspect that all of this " sticky " rubber will be affected by colder temps..

OK, there is a local race spot here in Victoria, Tx. I went there tonight because basically I was bored. Ran across a Camaro that was heavily modified. But I knew I could take him. It is about 38 degrees here, which gave me at least 20 more horsepower. I took the traction control off and it was on from a rolling start. When I hit 3rd gear my 11 Shelby broke the tires loose and I went totally sideways at about 90 mph. I guess the good 'ol LORD was on my side because it took every thing I had, and I have been drag racing for 30 years to get the car back. Scared the crap out of me! I don't get scared easily, The stock tires are f****** crap. I knew the guy in the Camaro and we stopped to have a little chat. He thought I was a going to eat it but commended me on my recovery. These tires are down right dangerious! I think I should have left the traction control on. I am glad my drag racing experience kick in and I kept it on the road! We all need different tires and I have read alot of threads about tires and widening the size or even the rim itself to accept wider tires. He had Nitto's on his car. I almost killed myself but no damage done except my ego. But even the Camaro driver told me good recovery. These cars want to kill us with these tires. I can handle the horsepower as long as they have some sort of traction. I really don't want to get my rims widened but I want a tire that has some traction! I am still shaken from the moment! The Camaro could not believe I got sideways in 3rd. Somebody please tell me which tire to buy that will fit my rims and actually hook up! Please I beg of you! I am pleased to be here right now and not wrapped around a telephone pole. I have done no mods to my car. Bone stock. Any ideas on which tire I can get that will fit my stock rims? Just a little advise is all I need. I guess all I need is a little feedback cuz this car is going to kill me! Regards, denohew

Ok , first off, very glad you are OK. Second, does suicide come to mind? Please do a search on this forum and other popular forums and you will find substantial info on the inadvisability of using the stock Goodyears when weather is >45 degrees. The B pillar has a warning sticker, as does the manual. The stock tires have a compound that goes hard in cool weather and you can heat them all you want ,but you won't change the rubber chemestry. Now that I'm through scolding you...sorry, but you almost killed yourself or someone else, and thats not good. I drive my 11 Shelby in the winter when roads are clear and I bought a set of Continental Extreme Contact All Season DWS's last September. They are designed for the colder weather and hook up MUCH better then the Goodyears. You can get them in the same size as the rear stocks, 285/35/19 and 245/40/19s in front. There is no exact match for the stock front size but 1/16th inch narrower, makes no difference. If you have the SVTPP, then you may have to

go searching on tire rack for replacements. There are very few all season tires available for our large tire sizes, and you may have to compromize size for safety. Even with these tires you still have to excercise caution when at full throttle. In the summer with hot temps, and ideal conditions, these cars will break loose on stock tires. I'm leaving the Continentals on, year-round, and going to sell the Goodyears. Again, very glad you are OK. I now relinquish the soapbox.

Until tires that are better than what come stock become available, Traction Control placed in Sport Mode seems to sorta work pretty good...at least, so far!

Aftermarket forged wheels that are exactly stock in all appearance but are maybe eleven inches wide, in ninteen inch diameter,would be something I would buy in a heartbeat.

Just have to wait. And wait. And wait. Etc.

So I had this exact thing happen at Houston Raceway Park shifting into third. You are correct it does make you pucker up pretty good! Now I know I was on a drag strip and the temps were in the high 40's but doing a second gear burnout for about 4 seconds solved the problem. As stated before the Supercar G2 tires are NOT meant for temps under 50 degres! There is no way around it. I have had a set of NT555R 305 35 20s on order from the Discount here in Pearland for about 3 months. Evidently they are on BO from Japan? I know that wont fix the temp issue but it should help when the temps warm up. I know widening the rims and going with the 335 might be the best bet but I'm hoping this is a happy medium and probably best bet for stock rims on SVTPP car.

Dan

Taking the TC off was not the best idea in retrospect. But I was up against a very bad a** sounding Camaro SS and he stayed straight as an arrow as he watched me in his rear view mirror doing my damnedest trying to get the car back. I talked to him afterward and he said I put on quite a show without doing any damage to my car! In my defense I did feather first and second but just nailed it going into third and that is when he passed me and I had my hands totally full!!!! Who ever said ' pucker factor " was right on the money. I drove like " granny " coming home from the grocery store on the way home! Just for the record I do not street race for down here in South Texas you go straight to jail for that! Went to Discount tire today to inquire about the new Pirelli's and the head manager had never seen my stock tire before but did tell me that they look like they have to be blazin hot to get any traction. And those Pirelli's are quit expensive, but , to me my life is well worth it! I ordered the Pirelli's in the stock size both front and rear. He told me they would last maybe 8000 miles the way I drive. At least the rears. He also bumped up the rear tires to 305's but told me that if they rubbed he would just give me the stock size for no extra charge. I went to High School with him. I am going to have to be in a huge parking lot to test these tires cuz I am still a little rattled about the whole hair raising experience! I will keep you guys informed, regards, denohew P.S. I did have a Ford GT and the weight in the back of the car really helped, duh! I am just going to chalk this one up as a very lucky, learning experience! I damn near rolled the Shelby!

So I had this exact thing happen at Houston Raceway Park shifting into third. You are correct it does make you pucker up pretty good! Now I know I was on a drag strip and the temps were in the high 40's but doing a second gear burnout for about 4 seconds solved the problem. As stated before the Supercar G2 tires are NOT meant for temps under 50 degres! There is no way around it. I have had a set of NT555R 305 35 20s on order from the Discount here in Pearland for about 3 months. Evidently they are on BO from Japan? I know that wont fix the temp issue but it should help when the temps warm up. I know widening the rims and going with the 335 might be the best bet but I'm hoping this is a happy medium and probably best bet for stock rims on SVTPP car.

Dan

To the OP, too cold to run period.

To Dan was your experience last Friday the 21st? I was there also and ran in the right lane, two runs in a row the car got WAY loose at the big end of the track and I had to shut down. I called it quits after that.

I ordered the Pirelli's in the stock size both front and rear. He told me they would last maybe 8000 miles the way I drive. At least the rears. He also bumped up the rear tires to 305's but told me that if they rubbed he would just give me the stock size for no extra charge. I went to High School with him. I am going to have to be in a huge parking lot to test these tires cuz I am still a little rattled about the whole hair raising experience! I will keep you guys informed, regards, denohew

Very interested in the fit and grip of the Pirelli's denohew. Looking forward to your response.

To the OP, too cold to run period.

To Dan was your experience last Friday the 21st? I was there also and ran in the right lane, two runs in a row the car got WAY loose at the big end of the track and I had to shut down. I called it quits after that.

No this was back in October when we were both out there. I have had the Nitto Drag Radials on order since then and have not been back. BTW, Ron Carter finally got all the parts for in for the second gear syncros and I am taking it in Monday. Hopefully with a new set of tires and a trany that shifts properly I will be back out there soon. This weather is too good not to be driving in!

Archived