TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Separator

KevinWitten

How much of an issue is there with oil entering the supercharger via PVC?

And does the oil separator sold by JTL work ad solve this issue?

JTL Oil Separator

Also, instead of the oil separator why not remove the pvc line and block off the ends. Then install a breather cap in place of the oil cap, like this one

METCO Valve Cover Breather

Is there an issue with this solution to preventing oil from entering the supercharger?

Thanks for the advice.

Here is a thread that I posted on oil separators. In my first post, there are a couple links that you may want to read regarding the function of oil separators. As far as just using a breather goes, the oil does exit the breather, maybe a small mist or a little at a time, but eventually you'll have an oily mess around the engine. Good luck

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54578-oil-separators-or-catch-cans/page__p__927918__fromsearch__1#entry927918

I have the passenger side JLT separator and it works great. I empty about 1/8" of oil every oil change that would normally be going in the plenum. I didn't really think about oil separators until I took off my throttle body. There was a nice puddle in the plenum that had to go.

Thanks for the replies. Good information.

I was assuming that the filter in the breather capture the oil and prevent the mess in the engine compartment. I guess this was not a good assumption.

I'll be getting the oil separator.

@mullens - Why did you only get the passenger side separator? Seems like we should have both on our cars.

Thanks again for the information.

• 3 weeks later...

Becareful with water separators that have filters in them like pictured above. The filers can break down and should be removed when used with oil.

Ours is plug and play, ready to go. You don't need to do anything other then remove your hose and install the new one. It also has a metal mesh filter that was designed for the PCV system direct from Ford motorcraft.

Let me know if I can help you further and BTW, it J L T ;) not JTL

Becareful with water separators that have filters in them like pictured above. The filers can break down and should be removed when used with oil.

Ours is plug and play, ready to go. You don't need to do anything other then remove your hose and install the new one. It also has a metal mesh filter that was designed for the PCV system direct from Ford motorcraft.

Let me know if I can help you further and BTW, it J L T ;) not JTL

There are a number of air / oil seperators on the market, yours & Jegs are among them. The install I did is overkill for the task @ hand, rated at 150 psi max, & with a 5 micron filter, which is serviceable. ( can be cleaned ) We are after all talking about " blow by gasses ", in what could be called a " low pressure " system.....................Truth be told, the " oil " we're trying to stop, in the quanity we are discussing, could be stopped by a piece of cheese cloth !!

I don't fault you for protecting your customer base, but the fact that you felt it necessary to comment on my install, gives it creditability..Rest assured the GT 500 community will buy plenty of you $ 119.00 units, because the word, " billet " is used in it's description. They don't know that a 5 micron metal filter, or a 5 micron stone filter, or a 5 micron plastic filter, all have the same filter capacity.......................Billet anything only has to look good, & it may or may not have to be functional, to make the buyer happy..

There are a number of air / oil seperators on the market, yours & Jegs are among them. The install I did is overkill for the task @ hand, rated at 150 psi max, & with a 5 micron filter, which is serviceable. ( can be cleaned ) We are after all talking about " blow by gasses ", in what could be called a " low pressure " system.....................Truth be told, the " oil " we're trying to stop, in the quanity we are discussing, could be stopped by a piece of cheese cloth !!

I don't fault you for protecting your customer base, but the fact that you felt it necessary to comment on my install, gives it creditability..Rest assured the GT 500 community will buy plenty of you $ 119.00 units, because the word, " billet " is used in it's description. They don't know that a 5 micron metal filter, or a 5 micron stone filter, or a 5 micron plastic filter, all have the same filter capacity.......................Billet anything only has to look good, & it may or may not have to be functional, to make the buyer happy..

I'm not looking for a debate and didn't say anything that should have offended you or your set up. A thread was made asking about separators and ours was brought up, so I thought I made an informative post.

Many people use cheap separators made for water, with filters that break down and need to be replaced or removed, that's just a fact.

A cheese cloth will do nothing in this situation as it's way more then "gas" that's getting through the PCV. I've tested all types of media and the Ford Motorcraft filter along with a properly designed tank work the best. If your only getting an oil mist in the tank, it's not working as good as it should.

Also most separators will only fill 1/4-1/3 in the tank and then by pass themselves.

Anyone can try it, just never empty the tank and keep driving. It will stay at one spot and never get higher.

We use the word "billet" because it's CNC milled from solid billet to be a great looking and performing part, not to generate sales.

I've used and built kits like your for years and they work, but most people are not DIY'ers and would like a 5 second install Vs. a couple trips to the hardware store for fittings, Teflon tape, clamps and then the chance of cutting the factory $40 hose too short :banghead: Ours turns into a great option.

Sorry if I took away from your install, it is another option.

Thanks

Jay

+2 for the JLT setup. It not only looks good but it was designed for our cars.

I'm not knocking the other setup I'm sure it works great but I tend not to skimp when it comes to things like these for my 50k ride.

Reminds me of the thermostat thing where everyone was using the wrong stat until Reische came out with the proper 170 stat specifically for our cars. Yes it cost a little more but it gives you piece of mind.

seems not everyone know what ours looks like, so here are some pics.

Oil%20Separtor%20black;%20clear%20620x412_4.jpg

Oil%20Separtor%20black;%20clear%20620x412_3.jpg

Thanks for the great thread guys, this is why I come to this forum. True Shelby enthusiasts wanting to make their cars better and sharing what they learn with others.

I have some JLT products on my 2010 Gt500 and love them. Carbon fiber intake, plus I bought the 2.6 pulley setup from Jay. He is great to work with, and always answers emails in a timely manner too. Next on my list is the oil separator. I cannot say enough good things about Jay and his company, you will never regret doing business with him/them.

+1000 on Jay's oil separators.....not only do they look cool, they downright work. I use them on my own cars, my customers, cars, and recommend them to everyone.

My current GT500 has a Kenne Bell 3.6 LC. I changed the oil before the car was on display at SEMA when the JLT separators were installed, both pass and driver's sides. After SEMA (about 700 miles round trip), the car was detailed, then put in the corner of my shop under a cover, then drag raced the next weekend. After 14 passes, I unscrewed both separators....the pass side was 1/2 full, and the pass side about 1/8 full. Doesn't sound like much??? Well, folks, that is ALOT when you think that this oil would have entered the intake trac/supercharger and leaned out the A/F mixture....

For those of you that want to make your own....I had a customer that did so....he used a generic " one size fits all" tank with a plastic separator insert and ran both his valve cover breather inlets to the 1 tank. He ended up sucking the plastic insert into his Whipple supercharger!!! It was a disaster, and I will leave it at that. For what JLT sells these for retail they are a steal. Then another 5% off....I say grab a couple....even for the wife's car...LOL

Alex

Archived